Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I cannot figure this one out!  (Read 6915 times)

kinghollio

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    I cannot figure this one out!
    « on: August 06, 2011, 07:50:34 PM »
    Hi to all,

I am having a problem on my Dell Latitude D820. It was running perfectly up until about 2 weeks ago. Suddenly it started to freeze and become really slow. The processor utilization was constantly at 100% so I began all the troubleshooting steps. So after extensive scans and reseating ram etc, the same problem continues to persist.
    I bought a new HDD as I believed it to be a bad hard disk and installed it along with a completely new installation of Win7 Ultimate. To my amazement the problem immediately surfaced again. It seems to happen when I connect to the internet so I now believe it to be my Wi-Fi card. Maybe someone has come across this same issue before so wanted to throw it out there to see your response, if any.

Thanks in advance.
    Chris.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: I cannot figure this one out!
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »
    Try booting in safemode with networking. What protection softwares are you running? Make sure you are running just one Antivirus.

kinghollio

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »
      Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have currently NO antivirus software installed. I reseated the WI fi card and the issue is still occurring. I hard wired in and the internet seems to be working ok now so I am assuming it is the WI fi card that has kicked the bucket....

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
      While malware may not be the cause of your current problem(s), it is strongly recommended that you do not run a system without a good AV installed and resident.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:37:08 AM »
      Since when you have been using the internet w/out an antivirus installed? You should download one now, try Free Avira . After successfully installed, it will scan your PC for infections. Then try running Safemode with networking. Hit F8 on first booting your computer and choose that option.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
        To add to the urging of the use of an anti virus program i totally concur with that. However re the specifics of jason2074 re Avira. While it is a popular and oft used software they have recently changed their offering of it. Now with the latest edition in order to have the "web protection" component of it (rather essential in my opinion) you MUST allow the installation of another search engine (Bing i believe). That may or may not be to your liking. In my case it was NOT so as a result i have uninstalled Avira and have gone to Avast instead. There are others that are free and apparently will do a good job. But NONE should NOT be an option for your own security. truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 12:25:09 PM »
        Well, Bing doesn't get installed - it's just a search engine like Google. Here's what I did find though: http://www.ghacks.net/2011/06/29/beware-avira-partners-with-ask-and-uniblue/

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 01:07:35 PM »
          Yes Allan that is it; it being "Ask" and not "Bing". I did say i believed. Wait until you get to my age and you will undoubtedly be qualifying a lot of your statements (those based on memory  ;) ). You CANNOT use Avira "web Guard" (that which provides on-line searching/processes) WITHOUT the allowance for the Ask toolbar. truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 01:16:52 PM »
          Wait until you get to my age and you will undoubtedly be qualifying a lot of your statements (those based on memory  ;)
          Why do you assume I'm NOT your age - or older?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 01:40:59 PM »
            I would be willing to wager that i am probably the oldest member on the Ch forums (provided we ALL tell the truth). Could be wrong but i doubt it. truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 01:47:32 PM »
            Well in that case, no bet :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 02:08:53 PM »
            I remember where I was when I heard that JFK had been shot. (I was in front of the TV at home) I was aged 11 years and 7 months.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 02:14:08 PM »
              I was a LOT older than that as i am sure Allan can now attest to. ;D truenorth

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »
              As enjoyable as this side conversation is (or not :) ), we're hijacking the thread. If you guys think you want to continue, I'd appreciate it if you start a thread off topic. Thanks.

kinghollio

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 02:40:03 PM »
                Hi all,
                I completely agree that an anti virus should always be installed and I always do! (i use AVG)
                For troubleshooting purposes, I did not install one to see if it was in fact my wifi card causing the problem.

To recap, I bought a new HDD and installed a fresh Win7 Ultimate on it. To my amazement, the problem continues. I had thought it was my Wi-Fi card but after hard wiring in and running a few programs, the issue is occuring again.

It seems as the motherboad might be goosed then it may be something simplier. Anyone any good TroubleShooting techniques that i can use to narrow down where the problem might be?

Thanks again in advance.