Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Building a laptop  (Read 8725 times)

kpac

Topic Starter
  • Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Building a laptop
« on: August 19, 2011, 03:12:07 AM »
I'm looking to get a good laptop for college, but I'm wondering would it be easier/cheaper to build one? How feasible is it, getting parts etc? I'm not looking to spend too much more than €350/$500/£320.

Thanks

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Building a laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 05:39:08 AM »
The i3, i5, i7 barebones laptops with discrete, mid-end graphics (Radeon HD 5730, GTX 460, etc) from MSI all run WAY over $500 ($725ish), so that is clearly too expensive once the cost of the processor is put in. You can get one with lousy Intel integrated graphics which run about $337, though. As for Asus barebones, they all run on the old Centrino platform, and I can't even find any price quotings... Building your laptop would definitely be more expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packard-350-Discrete-Class-Definition/dp/B004IN85QQ
This looks good.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

kpac

Topic Starter
  • Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 06:40:02 AM »
Right, thanks.

I'm not entirely sure yet if I'll need to be running any engineering apps or other heavy duty programs, so I'll have to wait for a few weeks. I might need to "up" my budget when it comes around. I mainly wanted to know just how hard/easy it is to build a laptop, because I can't find any sites that sell components!

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 07:29:58 AM »
You basically... can't build a laptop because there are no "one size fits all" components for laptops-motherboards, heatsinks, fans, display connectors, graphics cards layouts, to name a few vary from one laptop to another. The closest you can get to "building" a laptop probably is getting spare parts for one particular laptop model and fixing them all together, in which case it would be probably be cheaper to just buy a new laptop.

As for putting the parts together, its easier than building a desktop-CPU socket, put the heatsink and fan on top, put the RAM in the RAM socket, the power supply is integrated, the GPU is integrated, the display has a connector that just plugs into the motherboard, and if two ports look the same, just look at the wire length and you'll know which wire goes into which port. Only there are A LOT of screws (~60 screws for HP Probook 4510s, ~100 screws for Sony S Series laptops (VPCSB190X), and you need various torx bits in most cases (I just use an extremely tiny hexagonal wrench that I got from a bicycle store or a flat edge screwdriver ;D )

I mainly wanted to know just how hard/easy it is to build a laptop, because I can't find any sites that sell components!

I'm not surprised you can't...
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:00:48 AM »
    If you haven't already done so you might want to contact the college (or student union of the college) to see if they have any arrangements with either computer manufacturers or suppliers for student discounts. At the same time trying to get as clear as possible definition as to what you will be needing from a computer over the course of your studies will help you to purchase to include what will be needed. truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 12:15:35 PM »
    I'm looking to get a good laptop for college, but I'm wondering would it be easier/cheaper to build one? How feasible is it, getting parts etc? I'm not looking to spend too much more than €350/$500/£320....
    It's not possible to build a laptop.  Everything is proprietary, i.e. case, keyboard, motherboard, screen, battery.  Where would you even get all the parts?
    I recently bought this one:  http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/321957-321957-64295-3929941-3955552-5060880-5060884-5081511.html

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
      If you do decide the one CC notes is for you here is a bit cheaper price= http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RCUIJU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=unbiasedreview-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B004RCUIJU
      truenorth
      P.S. The review on it states it's only negative aspects are it's weight (9 pounds) and it's size (needs a large case) if you desire to have it in a case.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 12:49:18 PM »
      TN:  read the specs again, Item weight is 5.6 lbs.
      Not sure what you mean "needs large case", dimensions are 14.75"W x 9.75"D x 1.25"T; Fits any case made for a 15.5" screen.
      Some of the reviews are wrong: it has 1-USB 3.0 port, 3-USB 2.0 ports
      If you know what to look for, this can be determined by physical inspection of the ports, you can see the extra 5 signal contacts (5-9).  Also, Device Manager shows USB3.0. Crystal Disk Mark showed speed of USB 3.0 hard drive virtually the same as internal SATAII, 7200rpm drive.  Login is by fingerprint ID or face recognition.  Case is brushed aluminum.  Entire bottom is removable (1 screw, 2 snaps) for access to RAM, HD, that pretty much sold me.  Double-tap on the keypad upper left corner turns it off.  SD card slot up front.  LED not LCD screen.
      Comes with Win7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I paid less than Amazon/Tiger.  Added an additional 4GB RAM, not sure if necessary, but only cost $26.

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 06:00:55 PM »
        As a current owner of the computer i certainly defer to your personal knowledge. However seeing as you mentioned the differences in the 2 items related to be the only negative comments in the review i read here is the actual review where they are given.
        http://unbiasedreview.org/hp-probook-4530s-xu015ut-15-6-led-notebook-review-1640/
        On the price differential i believe your link shows the price of the laptop as being $579.00 whereas mine shows it as $479.00. Of course that doesn't mean that your link actually represents the price you paid.But in the interests of the O/P and their price considerations i felt mine showed it to be within their stated budget. However i am NOT in a position to recommend that particular computer (nor advise against it). truenorth

jaydeee

Rookie

• Windows XP Drivers
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 06:33:08 AM »
        you may have had titled it wrongly. its kinda hard.
        If you're pertaining to desktop then, core i7 system is good.

kpac

Topic Starter
        • Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 08:27:19 AM »
        you may have had titled it wrongly. its kinda hard.
        If you're pertaining to desktop then, core i7 system is good.
        Err, no. As I said, my budget is about $500 - not triple it!

If you haven't already done so you might want to contact the college (or student union of the college) to see if they have any arrangements with either computer manufacturers or suppliers for student discounts. At the same time trying to get as clear as possible definition as to what you will be needing from a computer over the course of your studies will help you to purchase to include what will be needed. truenorth
        Yes, that's good idea. Thanks. I should be getting an information pack this coming week so I'll know more then.

It's not possible to build a laptop.  Everything is proprietary, i.e. case, keyboard, motherboard, screen, battery.  Where would you even get all the parts?
        I recently bought this one:  http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/321957-321957-64295-3929941-3955552-5060880-5060884-5081511.html
        Never realised, to be honest. That is a good laptop for the price, and Amazon.com does seem to be cheaper. After checking with Amazon.co.uk however it appears that they are charging around £480 for it - which is about $800, and that's a bit too much. What's the battery life like?

If you do decide the one CC notes is for you here is a bit cheaper price= http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RCUIJU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=unbiasedreview-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B004RCUIJU
        truenorth
        P.S. The review on it states it's only negative aspects are it's weight (9 pounds) and it's size (needs a large case) if you desire to have it in a case.
        Not sure what's the story with the weight, the official listing is 5.2 lbs.

Added an additional 4GB RAM, not sure if necessary, but only cost $26.
        So you've 8GB in a laptop? :D

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 01:09:17 PM »
        Err, no. As I said, my budget is about $500 - not triple it!
        Yes, that's good idea. Thanks. I should be getting an information pack this coming week so I'll know more then.
        Never realised, to be honest. That is a good laptop for the price, and Amazon.com does seem to be cheaper. After checking with Amazon.co.uk however it appears that they are charging around £480 for it - which is about $800, and that's a bit too much. What's the battery life like?
        Not sure what's the story with the weight, the official listing is 5.2 lbs.
        So you've 8GB in a laptop? :D
        My price limit was the same as yours, less than $500US.  My first laptop cost $2100, 12 years ago, it still runs, CMOS battery still alive, clock still good.
        I didn't buy the new one from HP.  There are more than one ProBook 4530s, exact number is:
        HP XU015UT#ABA 15.6 inch Intel Core i3-2310M
        http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=HP-XU015UT&c=FR&pid=82d861499ac17160d123598bea22522320f01bce0e74a555158809342dea3a0a
        I think it's the least powerful of the 4530s models.
        Yes, 8GB in a laptop, but have found that Win7-64bit will use as much memory as it has available & dole it out to those that request it.  Also, because graphics controller is integrated within the CPU, 1st gen i3 it was a separate chip contained within the die, 2nd gen i3, CPU & graphics are on the same piece of silicon.  RAM is DDR3, 1GB for video, leaving 3GB for OS & apps, so add another 4GB for 7GB.

There's over 100 processes, sometimes Physical Memory cache is over 4GB.  With only Firefox running, 150MB free.  That wil change if I open another app.  Open IE9, free drops to 14MB.  MB not GB.  I don't care, that's what memory is for.  Doesn't do much good, if Windows doesn't use it.

Battery life depends on HD usage.  Haven't run it below 50% in 2 hrs, but the 3-4 hr estimate is probably good average.  I use WiFi, even when on AC & ethernet cable sitting next to it.  Speed is the same, 802.11N.  Got new router to go with it, 802.11N, 8-port with shared USB port for printer or hard drive.  I already had a network printer, so attached a spare USB hard drive to the router USB port.  So, got an NAS drive for free.

With all the initial downloads in the 1st couple weeks, didn't want battery to give out in the middle of it.  You get download notices from HP Servers similar to those from MS, one was 1GB, even had BIOS update, which it performed perfectly.  I figure if their BIOS update failed within the 1st month, they get it back, so I assume it was well tested.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 04:03:38 PM »
        To me there's no reason to entertain the thought of building a laptop...there is no cost savings involved that there would be with a desktop...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 04:23:24 PM »
        I'm not sure it's even possible, is it?  Unless you're talking about cobbling together a bunch of used parts all from the same model number.  It's like building a car from used parts, still will cost more than buying a new car.  Building from new parts?  You could buy 2 new cars.

kpac

Topic Starter
        • Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 03:21:59 PM »
        Just to update anyone interested...I ended up going for a HP laptop - Pavilion dv6. i5 CPU / 6GB RAM / 750GB HDD / 1 GB ATI graphics / 15.6" HD LED screen. Am completely delighted with it. I'm amazed with the speed of the two USB3.0 ports on it, anything I plug in is installed in about 5-6 seconds.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »
        Did you get a USB 3.0 HDD yet?  CrystalDiskMark measured virtually the same transfer speeds as the internal 7200rpm drive.  I've got a 32GB USB3.0 flash drive on the way.

kpac

Topic Starter
        • Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »
        No, what kind of price range are they?

EDIT: I see they're actually no more expensive than regular external HDDs...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »
        I got a WD My Passport Essential SE 1TB for $72
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136839

Flash drive was $30 after rebate, I thought that was a good deal, so am giving it a try.
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220612

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 03:10:20 PM »
        ...two USB3.0 ports on it,...
        Are you sure it has 2 ports?  There is only 1 way to tell for sure, look inside the port for 5 extra contacts (pins 5-9).  They are on top of the protruding plastic piece.  Difficult to see without a flashlight & magnifier.  It's probably the port next to the HDMI receptacle.  You can feel the difference when plugging in a 3.0 device, requires noticeably more force.

No, what kind of price range are they?

EDIT: I see they're actually no more expensive than regular external HDDs...
        Prices seem to be dropping fast.

kpac

Topic Starter
        • Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 02:03:59 PM »
        I can't really see at the minute, but the specs where I bought the laptop (PCWorld) say that there are 2 USB3.0 ports on it.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 04:53:30 PM »
        The specs were wrong on mine.  Some say 4 & 0, others say 2 & 2, still others say 3 & 1.  1 or 2 help site had it right, the HP data sheet is incorrect, it says 2-2.0 on right, 2-2.0 on left.  I knew it had to have at least 1, because Device Manager displayed the driver.  Yours is a few months newer than mine & your ports are arranged differently, I suspect you do have 2-3.0 ports.  What I like about mine is that the bottom comes off in 1 piece, for easy access to the RAM & HD.

You went over your budget?

There are so many different models even within a series (i.e. 4430s, 4530s, 4730s), differences being mostly screen size & hard drive size & speed.  They did not use the SuperSpeed logo on the outside.

This looks like it could be yours: HP Pavilion dv6-6156ea
        Data Sheet:  http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c02855700.pdf

Here's mine & the specs are wrong for the USB, only, HDD is 7200rpm:  http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/321957-321957-64295-3929941-3955552-5060880-5060884-5081511.html
        « Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 05:14:22 PM by Computer_Commando »

kpac

Topic Starter
        • Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 02:56:24 AM »
        You went over your budget?
        Yes, big time. ;D
        My parents helped me out a lot - I wasn't expecting them to but they did, so that's why I made sure to get one that'll last me the 4 years in college. I got a 5 year extended warranty with it as well, just to be sure.

This looks like it could be yours: HP Pavilion dv6-6156ea
        Data Sheet:  http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c02855700.pdf
        Yep, that's mine alright.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 11:34:43 AM »
        Here's a pic of a USB 3.0 Type A receptacle, from an extension cable I just received.
        You only have to look into the laptop connectors to see the gold plated contacts.  The 3-USB 2.0 connectors have the cutouts for the contacts, but no metal there.