Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista O/S not starting  (Read 22782 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows Vista O/S not starting
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 12:50:38 PM »
if you're primary concern is to get the data off the hard drive, you could burn a Linux Live CD, such as Linux Mint or Ubuntu. If the hard drive is indeed in working order, you should be able to access it once the CD boots up. (selecting the appropriate option, "try Linux Mint/Ubuntu without installing" or something to that effect). Then you can navigate the drive and copy the files you want to your external.

Once you have everything, you could proceed with the wipe-reinstall instructions.

I'd say something with regards to the Vista Repair, but things are confusing enough already.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »
I've just been reading through your thread on the other website.  Broni is a senior member here, as well, and is respected by all.  You refused to follow his instruction there & you're doing the same to me here.  I suggest you take the laptop to a shop, I don't think you're ready to fix this yourself.  I can offer you no more assistance.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »
    Its not that I refused to do it. I never wanted to take the time. And in another thread on that forum, I'm not exactly sure what someone said but they made it seem like the memtest could do harm to my computer. What have I refused to do that you said? Multiple people have told me different things in here and sometimes what you said didn't seem to apply to me.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #48 on: August 24, 2011, 04:13:24 PM »
    MemTest cannot harm a computer...period.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »
      I've just been reading through your thread on the other website.  Broni is a senior member here, as well, and is respected by all.  You refused to follow his instruction there & you're doing the same to me here.  I suggest you take the laptop to a shop, I don't think you're ready to fix this yourself.  I can offer you no more assistance.
      Did you mean that I refused to open my computer? Well sorry I am not a computer expert and I didn't want to mess with something I know nothing about. I shouldn't have even brought up the memory issue here. I would like to still try and avoid taking it somewhere and pay for something that I think I can do myself.

And if you mean that I have refused to just reinstall Windows without trying to still get to my files, again I am sorry that I dont't want to do that. I just want to be certain there is no way to get to the files before I do that. That is why I came here for advice from people that know more about computers then I do.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 05:27:11 PM »
        if you're primary concern is to get the data off the hard drive, you could burn a Linux Live CD, such as Linux Mint or Ubuntu. If the hard drive is indeed in working order, you should be able to access it once the CD boots up. (selecting the appropriate option, "try Linux Mint/Ubuntu without installing" or something to that effect). Then you can navigate the drive and copy the files you want to your external.

Once you have everything, you could proceed with the wipe-reinstall instructions.

I'd say something with regards to the Vista Repair, but things are confusing enough already.
        I would like to try and do this. But how do I download them? I went to the Linux site and do I download the 32bit cd version with codecs? Do I click on ftp or htpp under protocol. Or md5 under sum?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »
        I would like to try and do this. But how do I download them? I went to the Linux site and do I download the 32bit cd version with codecs? Do I click on ftp or htpp under protocol. Or md5 under sum?

For your purposes, Linux Mint's CD No Codec should do it. To get the download itself, scroll down on the download page and choose a mirror.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 08:11:05 PM »
          Ok I downloaded the ISO file. I can't figure out how to check it with the md5sum to make sure that it is a good file. Help please? And then I am going to need help burning it to a CD.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 08:31:32 PM »
            OK the md5sums are good.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2011, 09:15:39 PM »
              Nevermind. I got the Linux ISO burned to a CD.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2011, 09:47:31 PM »
                So I have Linux running. But how do I get to my old files?

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 10:06:29 PM »
                  Nevermind! I found them. Yay!

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2011, 11:29:56 PM »
                    So I have copied all of my pictures, videos, music, and documents to my external hard drive. Is there maybe anything else I should be copying too? The fact that I was able to do this is a good sign that the hard drive is ok right?

If there is nothing else I should do, I think I am ready to reinstall Windows. Just to be clear, what is the best way to do this? Do a PC Restore or something else? If it was already said in this thread, maybe someone could tell me what reply # it is.

Allan

• Mastermind
                    • Experience: Guru
                    « Reply #58 on: August 25, 2011, 05:34:04 AM »
                    Okay, let's not worry about all of this. The advice above to follow the instructions from Broni was the best possible advice. Broni is a very knowledgeable individual and I recommend that you go back to the forum where he was helping you and do as he says.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2011, 08:25:42 AM »
                      Okay, let's not worry about all of this. The advice above to follow the instructions from Broni was the best possible advice. Broni is a very knowledgeable individual and I recommend that you go back to the forum where he was helping you and do as he says.
                      What??  Shouldn't I get Windows working before I do anything else? And I have been doing memory tests now. They passed. I'm not sure if there is even a problem with the memory. What else do you want me to do?
                      « Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:41:33 AM by Andrea4 »