Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Notebook not starting.  (Read 2275 times)

mylogon

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
    • Coundon Computers
  • Experience: Familiar
Notebook not starting.
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:48:11 AM »
Firstly, hello everyone.
The notebook of interest here is an Acer Aspire. After the usual bios starts it just comes up with a blank screen. I figured it was maybe a corrupt boot sector, so I placed a version of Windows XP in an external DVD drive (bloody notebooks..), changed to boot order to load the cd, and then it came up with the usual blue screen where it says 'Loading Windows Files (etc etc)' and then when it just flicks it reading 'Loading Windows Setup' it flicks to the dreaded Blue Screen of Death. To my dismay i realised it was going to be a bit more of a pain than anticipated.
So after trying again for good luck, no luck.
The error code was 'Stop 0x0000007B', which when read up on on the Microsoft help page it doesn't give a lot of help. Non-the-less I tried to follow the steps provided, but considering I can't even get into DOS to run CHKDSK or anything of the sort then I'm a bit limited.
So, getting to the point I tried replacing the HDD and RAM with no results. I starting to think it could be a problem with the controllers (I'm sure that's what I mean) so unable to run any hard drive properly.
I'm fairly competent with computers and their hardware, but laptops, I'm not so hot with their hardware.
It could just be a write off, but I don't like to give up until I'm sure that it's reached it's retirement.
Any ideas would help.
Thanks a lot,
Luke
"Give thanks upon thou who help thee the most on computerhope" - Shakespeare

johnkon32

Rookie

• Knowledge is the key to success.
    • Yes
    • Advanced Java
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Notebook not starting.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:43:39 AM »
Could be your CPU or overheating which might cause this problem. Can you check that your laptop is not becoming very hot?

Also, you can try as well to boot a Linux Distribution from a Live CD (Just Boot, don't install it). Then, you can check If your laptop boots and runs normally under Linux. A good distribution is Ubuntu (http://ubuntu.com) and I think it also includes memtest86+ in the Live CD.