Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Upgrading Concerns  (Read 5847 times)

jackjimson

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Computer Upgrading Concerns
    « on: September 12, 2011, 05:13:41 AM »
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board, so I apologize in advance if I'm doing anything wrong.

I currently have a rig that I plan to upgrade.
    However, due to financial concerns, I can only upgrade my RAM and Graphics Card.

Here is my current setup:
    Processor         Intel Core i5-750(2.66GHZ)
    Memory            2 x Corsair 2GB XMS3 DDR3 1333MHZ (CM3X2G1333C9)
    Motherboard    BLKD955WB P55 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dp55wb.html
    Graphics Card  Inno3D GeForce GTS 250 http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gts_250_us.html
    PSU                  Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W

I plan to upgrade my video to NVIDIA's GTX570. http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-570-us.html
    And I plan to upgrade my RAM to either:
    2 sticks of Corsair's 4GB Vengeance™ http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-4gb-single-module-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz4gx3m1a1600c9.html
    2 sticks of Corsair's 4GB XMS3 http://www.corsair.com/memory/xms-classic/xms3-ddr3-memory/cmx4gx3m1a1333c9.html

Here are my concerns:
    1. Can my PSU handle the additional load of the RAM and Video Card? The card lists at 550W min.
    2. For my RAM I prefer the Vengeance but it has a 1600MHz frequency while my card only supports 1333 MHz.
        I assuming it will go down to 1333 but will it rub smoothly? Is it advisable to get this? Or just go with XMS3?
    3. Are my new parts at par with the board and the Processor, or will the latter cause bottlenecks?

Any input would be appreciated :)

(Sorry for the last post, was prematurly sent)
    « Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:42:06 AM by jackjimson »

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer Upgrading Concerns
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 05:56:10 AM »
    What OS are you running?

jackjimson

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:59:29 AM »
      Sorry forgot to add that.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:23:32 AM »
      Ok, just checking. I just asked because if you're running something like XP, there's not point in more memory.

It all looks sound to me. I think you'll definitely notice a difference in graphics performance of games (should be able to do max settings without issues).

The power supply should be sufficient if you're running only one card.

jackjimson

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:13:24 AM »
        Thanks for the input quaxo.  :)

2. For my RAM I prefer the Vengeance but it has a 1600MHz frequency while my card only supports 1333 MHz.
            I assuming it will go down to 1333 but will it rub smoothly? Is it advisable to get this? Or just go with XMS3?

Regarding this, any opinion?

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 06:48:22 PM »
        I don't know about Vengeance off the top of my head, but the XMS3 I bought for my machine is 1600. When I first put it in I forgot to set it to 1600 instead of 1333, but it worked normally for almost a week before I noticed the speed in the POST and changed it.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 06:53:58 PM »
        Sorry forgot to add that.
        Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.
        You didn't say what the goal of this upgrade is?  Or why you want to upgrade?

jackjimson

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 08:15:49 PM »
          @quaxo
          Ahh ok. Thanks for the reply.

You didn't say what the goal of this upgrade is?  Or why you want to upgrade?
          Sorry for not including that.
          My goal to improve my graphics card to run the newer games more easily on the higher settings.
          « Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:00:40 PM by jackjimson »

jackjimson

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 09:08:36 PM »
            Thanks for the previous responses.
            One final question though.

So I'm going with 2x4 GB modules of corsair xms3 (cmx4gx3m1a1333c9).
            What I'm wondering is if should mix it with my current ram (CM3X2G1333C9). They have the same manufacturer (corsair) but older, albeit the same, model.

Do you think this is a good idea? Are there any drawbacks?
            Btw I'm using the stock/default settings on my rig. No part is overclocked.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 05:34:50 AM »
            You won't have any problems mixing RAM in pairs.  I've never had a problem mixing singles, but the specs must be identical, if they are dual-channel.  If not, they won't function in that mode.
            My laptop has 2 4GB modules from different manufacturers & it functions dual-channel.

You originally asked: "For my RAM I prefer the Vengeance but it has a 1600MHz frequency while my card only supports 1333 MHz.  I assuming it will go down to 1333 but will it rub smoothly? Is it advisable to get this? Or just go with XMS3? "
            It should work at the lower frequency, but you need to verify this with the mobo manufacturer.  It's a possibility that the Vengeance RAM won't work at all.

Based on this:  http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/DP55WB/sb/CS-030682.htm
            I would not get the XMS3, if it meets this criteria,
            DIMM Capacity//Configuration//SDRAM Density//SDRAM Organization Front-side/Back-side//Number of SDRAM Devices
            4096 MB  //    DS   //    2 Gbit  //    256 M x 8/256 M x 8   //   16
            "DS” stands for double-sided memory modules (two rows of SDRAM).

jackjimson

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 08:04:36 AM »
              Based on this:  http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/DP55WB/sb/CS-030682.htm
              I would not get the XMS3, if it meets this criteria,
              DIMM Capacity//Configuration//SDRAM Density//SDRAM Organization Front-side/Back-side//Number of SDRAM Devices
              4096 MB  //    DS   //    2 Gbit  //    256 M x 8/256 M x 8   //   16
              "DS” stands for double-sided memory modules (two rows of SDRAM).
              Hi Computer_Commando,

Thanks a lot for the response.
              I won't get vengeance anymore. My rig can't optimize it anyway I think.

I would just like to clarify something though, I should NOT get XMS3 if it meets the specified criteria?
              Sorry, I'm just a little confused (since based on the link) the criteria you mentioned appears under "Supported DIMM configurations".

Reference: XMS3 — 4GB DDR3 Memory Module (CMX4GX3M1A1333C9)

jackjimson

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 05:47:24 AM »
                Ok. So I have already completed the upgrade although it didn't go exactly as planned.

For the GPU, I didn't encounter any problems. Everything is working as expected.

However for the RAM, my initial plan of 2 x 4 GB XMS 3 didn't work (in addition to my initial 2 x 2 GB XMS Config).
                Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to bring the manual of the MOBO at the time of the install to diagnose using the beep code.
                I had it installed in a shop (too paranoid to do tinker with the hardware, still have to learn more).

We tried different configurations:
                Config 1: 2 x 4 GB + 2 x 2 GB = Did not work.
                Config 2: 2 x 4 GB = Did not work.
                Config 3: 1 x 4 GB + 2 x 2 GB = Worked.
                Config 4: 4 x 2 GB = Worked (My current config).

What I'm wondering is why didn't the first 2 configurations work?
                I'm a little stumped. The board specs indicated that it can support 16 GB of memory but could not handle 8 GBs?
                I tried scanning through the manual and the specs of the memory but could not find the reason why it didn't work.

Anyone has any ideas? Just something to start my search on. I don't know where to start.
                I can't change my current configuration anymore but I want to know the cause of the problem so I don't encounter it again in the future.
                (I plan on making a new rig in 2 years) 

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                « Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 07:57:26 PM »
                We tried different configurations:
                Config 1: 2 x 4 GB + 2 x 2 GB = Did not work.
                Config 2: 2 x 4 GB = Did not work.
                Config 3: 1 x 4 GB + 2 x 2 GB = Worked.
                Config 4: 4 x 2 GB = Worked (My current config).

1.  What I'm wondering is why didn't the first 2 configurations work?
                I'm a little stumped. The board specs indicated that it can support 16 GB of memory but could not handle 8 GBs?
                I tried scanning through the manual and the specs of the memory but could not find the reason why it didn't work.

Anyone has any ideas? Just something to start my search on. I don't know where to start.

2.  I can't change my current configuration anymore but I want to know the cause of the problem so I don't encounter it again in the future.
                (I plan on making a new rig in 2 years)
                1.  You did not read the specs carefully in the link I provided previously.  The above configurations do not have enough information to determine why they won't work.  Intel is very specific about the type of Supported DIMM:  http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/DP55WB/sb/CS-030682.htm
                Note the organization of the chips on the DIMMs & the organization of the devices noted in the 1st table on the link provided.
                2.  I have not seen these specific requirements since my 10 year old Pentium III with SDRAM requirements for high density vs low density.  By the time you're ready for a new rig, you probably won't have the same issue.  DDR3 will be mature by then.

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

jackjimson

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 05:06:37 AM »
                  1.  You did not read the specs carefully in the link I provided previously.
                  I did read it, unfortunately, I did not properly comprehend. Still learning computer hardware :)
                  Please bear with me.

Intel is very specific about the type of Supported DIMM:  http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/DP55WB/sb/CS-030682.htm
                  Note the organization of the chips on the DIMMs & the organization of the devices noted in the 1st table on the link provided.
                  Are you referring to the density? The density of the SDRAM Density is incompatible with the board?
                  Is this information generally available on a vendor's website?
                  I tried searching Corsair's site but I couldn't extract this info. 

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                  « Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 06:40:18 AM »
                  Yes, it's a density issue, appears to be not compatible.  I've never seen memory manufacturer's specify this.  Most motherboards are designed so chip density is not an issue.  Don't know why Intel did not take this into consideration.  They probably outsourced the design or gave it to an in-house designer who was a new hire & didn't fully understand.  They were probably testing RAM compatibility & then found out, therefore, the chart noted.  Only some at Intel would know & you will never find out who & they will never admit their error.