Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installed driover for svideo output ,and now have black screen  (Read 5895 times)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: installed driover for svideo output ,and now have black screen
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Without reading everything, some of those older HP's get confused when you add a card they don't expect.  Disconnect the computer from the wall receptacle & remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes.  Then reinstall the battery & see what happens.  While you've got it open, remove & reseat the video card to make sure it's in all the way.

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: installed driver for s-video output ,and now have black screen
    « Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »
    Thanks comando ,I'll do that tonight .

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 02:12:46 AM »
    With the new video card in, you might check if there's a setting in the BIOS to disable the on-board video as well.

I looked into the d530 computers and found 3 models: a small form factor (fairly small, lays flat on the desktop), a mini-tower (upright system), and a ultra-slim desktop*. All three models actually have fairly weak power supplies: 185w, 240w, and 150w respectively. Depending on which model you have, it might not have enough power to make an add-in graphics card like the FX5500 work. They usually build those things just well enough to support the hardware they come with and not much in the way of upgrades.

*I don't think you have the ultra-slim model. According to its specs, it doesn't have an AGP slot, but the other two do.

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »
      Thanks quaxo, I removed the battery and card then plugged it back in and the same thing happened.then I did it again bit left the card out , same thing again but pc recognized changes. I took this card out of a dell that had similar specs and it worked on that one . When the dell quit I got this one and put the card in but had lost the cd drivers so i downloaded them from the internet.Thinking back now I'm not sure i got the drivers to run properly and an error message came up. .Maybe thats the problem.. 
       I have a reistallation cd for a Dell its xp professional like my pc . It says it reinstalla software only .. I'm not up on pc stuff ,but could I erase everything and reinstall the cd ?  I'm thinking of taking this pc back to wher I got it and asking the guy ther wjho is a repair shop ,if it would be cheaper for him to look at it or me to buy another one off him for $60.00. I bought the s-video card off him too ,so he will be familiar with everything . If I can start over with my reinstall disc I'd save the $60.00 . I did that one othe rtime long ago but dont remember how . Latley I tried it by just inserting th ecd but my keyboard wont respond when it says to press 8 to start the process.Any ideas? I sure dont mind buying another one  but will loose lots of stuff

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 09:02:16 AM »
        Thanks Quaxo,
         My pc is the big fat tower. I removed the s-video card and reinstalled my reinstallation disc . Now It works . I even reinstalled the s-video card and am now using that pc .I have a problem still with KERNEL 32.dl . This error keeps coming up when ever I first turn the pc on .I don't mind that ,but I also keep getting a message that a ertain page cant be read ,and if I hit " back " the page apears . I read where someone else has the same kernel problem and they were told to go to "run" and type config in .I did that, but the tab saying "config. sys" does not apear on my screen ,there are other tabs but after clicking on each one I dont find any of the tabs to be the one I can enter the line you mentioned .
         I'm happy to have my pc back in use ,and if I can get this last bug out it will be perfect.
        Neil

neil88

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 09:08:31 AM »
          The screen I keep getting says I.E. cannot open this site   . When I go back the site usually opens .sometimes I have to do it a couple of times first . Your site is one that it apears on quite often.
          Oh yeah, I'm using the monitor and its plugged into the ge force fx5500 s-video card ,but is using the veg port .

Neil