Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need help with partitioning  (Read 5852 times)

haus_kat

need help with partitioning
« on: October 05, 2011, 05:56:30 AM »
not sure if this ? is in the right forum...

My computer's hard drive is all one big space which is 128gb. I want to partition it so that I have a "C" drive and a smaller "D" drive. Could someone please tell me what to type into diskpart to do that? Thanks!  (Also I want to format it first to erase the Windows software that is on there)

(I checked Google but can't seem to get this task done by typing what I found on various websites. I keep getting annoying error messages instead.)

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: need help with partitioning
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 06:56:22 AM »
I would recommend doing it with Easeus Partition Master, it's free and easy to use. (No typing, graphical interface)

http://www.partition-tool.com/

Then, all you have to do is resize the C: partition to the desired size, create a new partition in the available space, and click apply. Since you're making changes to the system drive, it will as you to restart so it can do the changes before the OS starts.

haus_kat

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:49:26 AM »
Thank you Quaxo :D This software seemed relatively easy to use. I divided the drive into three partitions. I now have a main "C" drive and made another primary "E" drive (it wouldn't let me name anything as "D") and then made a small 12gb logical partition for the "C" drive in which to store some data. I want to install Linus onto the "E" drive to try it out.

haus_kat

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:00:46 AM »
Okay... I'm trying to install the Linux now and run into a problem. I have the Linux ISO on a DVD-Rom and selected the drive on which I wanted to install it then I click "install now" button and get a message "no root file system. please correct this from the partitioning menu." Hmm. I don't undertstand what this is. I think the partition is already formatted.

edit: Linux also seems to detect 22gb of "free space" which the partitioning software didn't say was there or available. Linux lists: sda1 59.6gb, sda5 12.8gb, sda2 65.0gb and free space 22.6gb

I'm trying to install the Linux on sda2
All sda are listed as ntfs type

on the drop-down menu there is sda (no number after it) with a total of 160gb

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:53:41 AM »
Linux uses it's own file system. Remove a partition and leave the space you want for the Linux installer to create the partition it needs.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 10:04:47 AM »
Not sying how to do it but a Windows/Linux setup on one HDD can create issues if not setup properly to begin with because the bootloaders are different and tend to bang heads...
All my Linux distros are on seperate HDD's...this avoids those headaches.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
    • Yes
    • The Doctor
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 10:28:42 AM »
I agree 100% with Patio!

When you try to put two OS's on the same drive, all sorts of hate and discontent can result.
I say this from personal experience.

Drives are so cheap today, that you can easily have a different drive for each OS.

8)
Experience is truly the best teacher.
Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

haus_kat

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »
Not sying how to do it but a Windows/Linux setup on one HDD can create issues if not setup properly to begin with because the bootloaders are different and tend to bang heads...
All my Linux distros are on seperate HDD's...this avoids those headaches.

I don't understand. In the past I had a laptop computer that a had partitioned hard drive and had Windows ME on one partition and Windows 2000 on another. I never had any issues and it was in fact the one computer I had that ran the best and never had the annoying problems that I've had with others. On startup I was asked which program I wanted to use. I always thought that a seperate partition was just that - completely seperate - acting as if it were a separate hard drive. I don't see how they could clash if I use each one separately and they are each installed in their own space.

edit: I deleted the partition and nw there's a lot of free space. Linux gave the same error message when I tried to install it in the free space.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 11:11:22 AM »
edit: I deleted the partition and nw there's a lot of free space. Linux gave the same error message when I tried to install it in the free space.

It would help if you would tell which vision of Linux you are using. You may have skipped a place where you set the root to the partition you want. In Linux root is the symbol / with no drive letter.

haus_kat

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »
It would help if you would tell which vision of Linux you are using. You may have skipped a place where you set the root to the partition you want. In Linux root is the symbol / with no drive letter.

I'm trying to Install Linux Mint
http://www.linuxmint.com/

I downloaded the ISO and burned it to a DVD-Rom, then booted the computer from the DVD-Rom. After the Linux went to it's temporary desktop there was an icon looking like a CD labelled "install" so I clicked that to go through the install process.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »
I don't understand. In the past I had a laptop computer that a had partitioned hard drive and had Windows ME on one partition and Windows 2000 on another.

That's why you didn't have issues...they are both Windows....

Not the point i was making at all...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 05:53:05 PM »
It is not that hard. But sometimes it fails. Here is a video. Notice he is doing a manual install and you have to tell the Linux installer where the root is to be located.
As stated earlier, the root is a
   /
and determines where all the rest of the stuff goes. Unless you specify otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynhs01nml0E

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 04:09:20 PM »
haus_kat, what is the goal here?

What do you want to ultimately have? Do you want a dual boot system with both Windows and Linux? If so, which version of Windows? Do you want two partitions or three? If three, why?

You want to completely wipe out the old windows installation and start fresh. Right?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 08:46:41 PM »
Rather than use the partition tools in Linux, the OP may with to use a partition manager that works we in Windows.
Google:
free partition manager
Most popular seem to be:
EASEUS
Paragon
GParted
Here is a good one you might not find in a search
http://www.partitionwizard.com/
Leave enough free space for Linux. About 22 GB is good.

jili

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 02:56:13 AM »
    which operating system are you running? Windows 7, Vista or Server 2003? if so, the built-in disk management will allow you partition hard drive. but if you are running Xp, 2003 or other OS, you need find some reliable partition tools like Disk Director, Partition Assistant and so on. (:

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 07:42:50 AM »
    It kind of looks like we are waiting on the OP...
    Evil is an exact science.

haus_kat

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 06:20:59 PM »
    Okay...I figured the issue and have got Linus installed (using it right now). I think the screen/graphics could look sharper or better though and I'm guessing because this isn't the original OS so I don't have the correct hardware drivers. Is there a way I could get some Linus-compatible drivers? The drivers for this model laptop are for Windows Vista only (32-bit).

JJ 3000

Egghead
    « Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 10:51:27 PM »
    Click Menu > Control Center > Hardware > Additional Drivers. It will scan for the correct driver and give you the option to install and activate it.

It may not be driver related though. Have you tried adjusting your screen resolution?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.

haus_kat

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 12:08:02 AM »
    Click Menu > Control Center > Hardware > Additional Drivers. It will scan for the correct driver and give you the option to install and activate it.

It may not be driver related though. Have you tried adjusting your screen resolution?

yes, i tried adjusting the screen resolution. things just don't quite look right, as if they could be sharper and clearer. i tried installing the driver it recommended and it did that but then said that it wasn't activated and i don't know how to activate it

JJ 3000

Egghead
    « Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 12:52:32 AM »
    The window that pops up when it finds the driver, near the bottom on the right there is an activate button. Click it. You will be prompted for your password. That should be it.

You will have to restart the computer once you do this.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.