Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: User account set as administrator but does not have admin rights  (Read 5643 times)

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

I am trying to help my father-in-law with his computer.  He has a desktop with Windows XP Home Edition.   I want to change things by going into the Control Panel, but the only way to do gain access to the Control Panel is to go into safe mode so that I can use the Administrator Account.  The Admin account does not show up on the Welcome screen during normal boot up. 

Curiously, while in safe mode, I see that my father-in-law's user account is labeled as an administrator account too, but when I boot up normally, it does not have admin rights.  How can I assign his account Admin rights, or have the Admin account show up as a choice on the Welcome screen?  Otherwise, every time I need to access the Control Panel, I have to boot up in Safe Mode just to do that.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: User account set as administrator but does not have admin rights
    « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 03:05:10 PM »
    I might be wrong. That could be the default condition for Windows Home version of XP.
    But read this anyway. It may have the answer you need.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001097.htm

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »
      I have since found out that the default access to the Admin account for Windows XP Home Edition is in in Safe Mode.  I checked out  your link.  I tried to right-click My Computer and then Manage, but the left-hand pane did not include Local Users & Goups anywhere in the tree. 

So I went to Start>Control Panel>User Accounts.  It shows me that my father-in-law's account is already designted Admin status, and yet when I start up again in normal mode, his account does not have Admin rights.  I tried right-clicking the clock in the lower-right corner of the computer and clicking on Adjust Date/Time.  The pop-up says I do not have rights to change it (a quick test I learned to determine if the account in use has Admin rights).  Nor does the Control Panel show up as an option when I click on the Start button (but Control Panel shows up in the Admin account in Safe Mode).  Why would it say this account has Admin rights but not act that way?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 05:45:45 PM »
      Where doest it report his account has Admin rights >? ?
      Is UAC on or off ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 08:56:03 AM »
        Here's where I find account has Admin rights:  in Safe Mode, log onto Admin account.  Click on Start>Control Panel (Control Panel not available in regular user account)>User Accounts.  I then see a screen with two rubrics.  One says Pick a Task and I can click on "change an account"  or I can get to the same place by going to the other rubric which says: or Pick an Account to Change.  Under that rubric are four icons, one for each account set up on the computer.  The Administrator icon, under which it says "computer administrator"; my father-in-law's user account icon, which also says "computer administrator"; my mother-in-law's user account icon which, also says "computer administrator"; and Guest account which is turned off.  If I click on my father-in-law's icon, I can choose "What do you want to change?" and then click on "change account type."  The account, however, is already designated as an administrator and that choice is grayed out.  I can choose "limited account", whcih I have tried, and then put it back to administrator status, but it does not seem to effect the account when I boot up in normal mode. It still has no Admin rights. Whenever I try to do something that requires admin rights, I get a pop-up that says: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.  Please contact your system administrator."

I do not know if UAC is on or not.

beaucraft

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 05:15:22 AM »
          I used the link http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001097.htm but i dont have local users and groups file in here how do i get this back I had problem with comp recently it wouldnt boot but i managed to fix that but just have this issue now  any idea thanks

immental1200

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 04:42:32 AM »
          Where doest it report his account has Admin rights >? ?
          Is UAC on or off ? ?

Patio it shows him that the account has admin rights, under user account when logged on as "administrator" in safe mode.
          UAC ... Didn't think there was a problem with UAC in windows xp ?