Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What exactly is an IP address?  (Read 9197 times)

indlovu

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    What exactly is an IP address?
    « on: October 18, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »
    I understood that your IP address identified your specific PC to those who can see this IP. However, I've been told that is not correct. I have been given told that your IP reveals only your approximate geolocation only, and that the IP is not specific to me, but that others share this IP. (It is a static IP, I believe.)

Which information is correct? Or are neither?

Also can someone clarify exactly what is meant by IP and Private IP, please?

Thank you.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru

indlovu

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: What exactly is an IP address?
      « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 12:17:32 PM »
      Thank you for the link.
      I understand that one has an IP and also a Private IP. Is that correct? If so, what is a Private IP?
      Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:28:05 PM »

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:28:31 PM »
      I don't mean to be rude, but you really should learn to use Google.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »
      That's what I was attempting to say in this thread earlier today:  http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,124270.0.html

To the OP, your Public IP is show in my signature.  You see yours, I see mine;  I can't see yours, you can see mine.  CH sees them.
      BTW, it has nothing to do with static or dynamic IP (DHCP).

indlovu

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »
        Allan:
        I don't mean to be rude, but you really should learn to use Google.
        I take this to mean that I can obtain this information by using Google. 
        Actually, I think I'm pretty good at using Google when it comes to most things, but as I said in my initial post, I'm not at all tech savvy when it comes to anything related to computers or the internet. I have Googled basic terms, and based my (limited) knowledge on what I've read. However, as I mentioned in my first post, my understanding has been challenged by others who assure me they are far more knowledgeable than most, and have given me conflicting information. As I said:
        "I understood that your IP address identified your specific PC to those who can see this IP. However, I've been told that is not correct. I have been given told that your IP reveals only your approximate geolocation, and that the IP is not specific to me, but that others share this IP. (It is a static IP, I believe.)"
        It is because of this conflicting information that I'm seeking clarification here.

indlovu

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 01:08:34 PM »
          That's what I was attempting to say in this thread earlier today:  http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,124270.0.html

To the OP, your Public IP is show in my signature.  You see yours, I see mine;  I can't see yours, you can see mine.  CH sees them.
          BTW, it has nothing to do with static or dynamic IP (DHCP).

Do you mean I can't see yours and you can't see mine (IP)?
          Our ISP tech support staff assured me that our ISP address was not shown in full headers. I sent a test email to him from  a web-based email and he confirmed that he could indeed see the IP address from which I'd sent it. He couldn't explain how this could be.
          What do you mean by "CH sees them"? Please remember that I'm a tech novice.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »
          What do you mean by "CH sees them"?
          Every website can log it's visitor's IP address if it wants/needs to, usually so people can be banned if necessary. This website does log IP addresses - you can see your's in the bottom right corner of every post you make, but you'll only see "IP logged" in everybody else's posts. Only moderators and administrators can see everyone's IP addresses.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 01:51:41 PM »
          1.  Do you mean I can't see yours and you can't see mine (IP)?
          2.  Our ISP tech support staff assured me that our ISP address was not shown in full headers. I sent a test email to him from  a web-based email and he confirmed that he could indeed see the IP address from which I'd sent it. He couldn't explain how this could be.
          3.  What do you mean by "CH sees them"? Please remember that I'm a tech novice.
          1.  Correct.
          2.  It's outside his job description, so he doesn't know.  If you're trying to trace someone elses email to you, it could be spoofed.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_spoofing
          3.  CH=Computer Hope

Can you explain why you have 3 threads going on the same subject?

indlovu

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 02:05:28 PM »
            Thanks for your response.
            Can you explain, though, why the ISP tech guy could see our IP details when I sent a test email to him?
            Sorry, if I'm doing something wrong. My local forum insists on different threads for different questions. I thought my queries were discrete enough to warrant a different thread.
            It's nearly dawn here, so perhaps that's a factor. Sorry.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »
            1.  Can you explain, though, why the ISP tech guy could see our IP details when I sent a test email to him?
            2.  Sorry, if I'm doing something wrong. My local forum insists on different threads for different questions. I thought my queries were discrete enough to warrant a different thread.
            3.  It's nearly dawn here, so perhaps that's a factor. Sorry.
            1.  Email full headers contain all the information.  More info in the header than the body.  Not sure if that answers it or I fully understand.  Don't feel bad, very few understand how the internet functions or much of anything else technical.  It's complicated made simple for the masses to use.  You turn on a TV & an image appears & you can hear it too.  People had the same response in 1949 or so.  Moving pictures were the same 100 years ago & the telephone & the telegraph, indoor plumbing, etc.
            2.  You may be confused, different questions on the same topic would be in the same thread.  Different topic, different thread.  All forums are the same, as far as I know.
            3.  Probably so.  Only trying to enhance your experience here.  We're all volunteers, some are moderators (I'm not).

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
              • Me
            « Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 06:56:39 AM »
            Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

jchunk

Rookie
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 03:59:28 AM »
              Just to add a bit of salt 8) an IP address is a decimal representation of a 32bit binary number broken int0 octets (groups of 8 ) so
              8.8.8.8 would look like   00001000.00001000.00001000.00001000 to you computer and router. decimal is base 10 and what we use every day hence ip conversions from base 2 binary
              "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm wrong!"