Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista: Reformat C:  (Read 4396 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows Vista: Reformat C:
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »
Hello to everyone on the forum.

I have a windows vista computer that does not like me, lol. It is a insperon model, with an intel dual core processor. I am trying to reformat it while funning off of the boot cd, but when i type in the "Format c:" commad, it replies with "type the current volume lable". I am unsure of what this is, and what should i do to find this information??

Thank you in advance for your help.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows Vista: Reformat C:
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 11:44:12 AM »
It wants the name of the drive. If you haven't assigned one, either just press enter or type c: again. But why are you doing it that way? I assume you have a Vista CD. Just boot to the Vista cd and select the option to format before installing

bobsklarservices

Beginner

• Time is of the essence.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 11:44:48 AM »
    This is just what you see in Computer, such as Local Disk (C:) - the drive label is just "Local Disk"
    Work to be all you can be. You define your limits!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
    The format command asks for the volume label to make sure you really mean to format the volume.

Type DIR and press Enter. Look at the first line of the output. In this example, the volume label is Win07

Volume in drive C is Win07
     Volume Serial Number is E4DB-A92A

Directory of C:\

01/05/2011  19:39    <DIR>          $RECYCLE.BIN
    01/05/2011  15:34            33,446 1920x1080-black.jpg
    12/06/2011  14:44            57,368 1920x1080-grey1.jpg
    29/04/2010  21:07    <DIR>          ATI
    06/02/2011  21:55    <DIR>          AV

But what kind of boot disk are you using? If it's a DOS boot disk, you're only going to be able to use FAT.
    « Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:01:02 PM by Salmon Trout »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
    This is just what you see in Computer, such as Local Disk (C:) - the drive label is just "Local Disk"

You can ignore this post. (Not only useless, he's a spammer.) Not a good ad for your "services", Bob!

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Jared Kat Enterprises
    « Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 11:48:23 AM »
    I have tried all, "c:" and "local disk". Both of these did not work for me.
    I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Jared Kat Enterprises
    « Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
    And i am using the "Windows Vista Reinstall Disk" the one that says that it is for distribution with new pc and that software is alredy installed on computer.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 11:50:55 AM »
    You can ignore this post.

apparently mine too :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 11:51:51 AM »
    I have tried all, "c:" and "local disk". Both of these did not work for me.

Read what I wrote above.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 11:53:39 AM »
    And i am using the "Windows Vista Reinstall Disk" the one that says that it is for distribution with new pc and that software is alredy installed on computer.
    That disc either contains Vista, in which case you can do as I suggested above, or it is an image of what was shipped to you and will restore the system to "as shipped" status. Either way, you do not have to do what you are doing.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Jared Kat Enterprises
    « Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 11:55:24 AM »
    I tried to just re-install the windows, but i feel that removing all previous contant will help it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 11:59:57 AM »
    I tried to just re-install the windows, but i feel that removing all previous contant will help it.

Why?

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »
    Does the cd install Vista from scratch? If so, you will be given the option to format first.

If it's a restore disc that takes the system back to factory shipped state, it will format before installing on its own.