Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New computer  (Read 5516 times)

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I ask, therefore I learn!
    • Experience: Beginner
    New computer
    « on: November 12, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »
    Hi all,  I'm in the market for a new laptop computer.  My desktop is from 2000!  Yikes!  I'm asking for advice on which laptop to purchase.  I'd like a 15" one.  However, I don't know what other criteria I should specify.  I'm retired and only use the computer for the normal household stuff such as email, financial records etc..  I sell part time on eBay.  I would like excel, word, powerpoint, Access, photo editor etc.  Please feel free to recommend your favorite computer manufacturer and most of all which specs I need to get such as ram speed etc.  I'm thinking to spend under $700.  Any recommedations would be appreciated.  Micromos  ;D

Lisa_maree

Re: New computer
    « Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »
    Hi

I normally match the computer in this case the laptop to the user. Important is how clear the display is at the resolution you need to work at. Also check the comfort of using the keyboard and mouse pad. Are you going to use this on your lap and if so check where the fans draw air from in most cases this is where your leg is. These are portable Mobile computers not laptops and should not be used except on a hard surface. Check out business models as these normally have next business day repair and 3 year + warranty. Where as home versions have limited 1 year warranty and extended warranty is an extra. If you wear glasses then a Matt display is easier to look at.

Hope this helps

Lisa

madcaddies

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 11:52:40 AM »
      Most laptops nowadays are 10-14". The only 15" that im aware of is the Asus K52JC-EX303 which sells a little over $850. My mother uses it and it's a bit much for home use, considering not so extensive computer activities.
      The closer and within your budget and preference is the one i have, an Acer AS4743Z. A 14", dualcore, 2Gb memory, 500Gb HDD, dvd drive, bluetooth and webcam. This is more than enough for home and school work. I got it for a little over $590. Excellent choice for me.

madcaddies

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 12:25:26 PM »
        nah, i was talking about what ive seen at a local electronic hub. They do have bigger models and builts but way beyond usual budget. So lets cross dat line out :p

Sticking with my choices.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:28:51 PM »
        Wow...OK.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

madcaddies

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »
          re: the prices i quoted, they're converted to US$, as im from outside the States. I dont have much idea just what the actual prices there could be. Just close to hinting.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »

Getting back to the topic. If you want a 15" laptop you can browse the link Allan has posted. I'm assuming that you live in the states, so it is possible to but 15" from most outlets. Anything with Windows 7 and 2GB RAM and a DVD Writer should cover what you need. If you want to spend more then, personally, i'd go for more RAM.

Anything else is down to personal preference, unless you need more clarification on specific functions.
          11 cheers for binary !

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »
            If the assumption that you are in the U.S. is correct then you have access (maybe store--maybe online) to this retailer.
            http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=17&name=Laptops%20&%20Notebooks
            This site is their principle web site for laptops. However if you search for their online flyer (comes out almost daily) you can do even much better than what is shown via the link above. Given your limited use/requirements you can get all you would need for far less. I am using a Toshiba 15.6 laptop that was $329.00 and will certainly do all you want and more. truenorth

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
            The OP isn't confused here...actually they haven't returned.
            The bone of contention is it was stated there weren't many 15" laptops...which has been debunked.

However...carry on.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

PrettyFlyforaWiFi2

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 08:42:23 PM »
              The OP isn't confused here...actually they haven't returned.
              The bone of contention is it was stated there weren't many 15" laptops...which has been debunked.

However...carry on.

::)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 07:58:19 AM »
                I believe the issue re size was introduced by others and not the O/P. Trying to contribute to the question " I'm asking for advice on which laptop to purchase.  I'd like a 15" one." which was posed by the O/P there have been some of us that are attempting to address that. truenorth

soybean

Genius
                • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »
                I would like excel, word, powerpoint, Access, photo editor etc.
                Of course, you'll need to buy Microsoft Office unless you have an older version that will work with Windows 7.  Since you want Access, be sure you get a version of Office that includes it.  For a photo editor, one of numerous freeware options might suit your needs; I can make a few suggestions if you like.

micromos

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I ask, therefore I learn!
                  « Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
                  I'm back!  Thanks for the input from all.  To update my original post:  My desktop is a 16" (diagonal measure).  At times I have to scroll side to side to read the whole message (like this page).  Would a 17" or larger laptop not reuired scrolling?  Also, my brother-in-law just bought his first computer, a Windows 7 Toshiba 4GB laptop for under $550 US.  I originally intended to purchase a Dell laptop.  Do you guys and gals have a preference?  Also, would it be cheaper to go directly to the manufacturer instead of a local retail shop like Best Buy?  Do laptops have CD burners?  I would at times use the laptop on my . . . well, lap.  How important are the air intake arrangements.  Sorry, for all the rookie questions. Micromos.  :P 

soybean

Genius
                  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                  • Computer: Specs
                  • Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 03:26:11 PM »
                  Also, would it be cheaper to go directly to the manufacturer instead of a local retail shop like Best Buy?
                  You may find better prices from some of the online sellers such as tigerdirect.com (see truenorth's post) and newegg.com.  But, the brick-and-mortar retailers seem to be offering some competitive prices. You can do some comparison shopping by visiting websites of both online sellers and brick-and-mortar retailers, which also usually sell online. 

Regarding brand recommendations, I'll leave that to other members.  But, you might look at some of the buyer reviews posted on websites. 

My desktop is a 16" (diagonal measure).  At times I have to scroll side to side to read the whole message (like this page).  Would a 17" or larger laptop not reuired scrolling?
                  What's your resolution setting? 

Would a 17" or larger laptop not reuired scrolling?
                  Again, it depends on resolution.  Know what I mean?  If not, ask.

I would at times use the laptop on my . . . well, lap.  How important are the air intake arrangements.
                  Air intake is definitely important and should not be constricted.