Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The 10 Worst PCs of All Time.  (Read 2374 times)

Transfusion

Topic Starter

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: The 10 Worst PCs of All Time.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »
The 10 Worst PCs of All Time
Remember these clunkers? Many of them were so bad they're hard to forget.
By Dan Tynan, PCWorld    Mar 19, 2007 1:00 am
#1. Packard Bell PCs (1986-1996)

A Packard Bell PCWhen PC World decided to name the ten worst PCs of all time, it was a virtual lock that a Packard Bell machine would grace the list at number one. The only question was, which model? It was an impossible choice.    ...
A Packard Bell. No surprise.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: The 10 Worst PCs of All Time.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »
Ha!  Packard Bell being at the top of that list makes me chuckle a bit because I owned two of them.  One was a 486 CPU machine, originally running Window 3.1, and the other was a Pentium running Windows 95.  Even funnier is the fact that Pentium I owned was the Legend 406CD model mentioned in the article. 

I used the Legend 406CD for a long time, about 7 years as I recall.  During that time, I upgraded the CPU by installing an "overdrive processor" to raise processor speed from 75MHz to 200MHz.  And, I upgraded the hard drive two times and increased RAM from the original 8MB to 128MB (the maximum it would handle).  I also upgraded the OS to Windows 98SE. 

Actually, Packard Bell was a strong seller in the consumer market in the U.S. before it started its rapid decline.  My impression was that they let quality and customer support decline and that was their demise in the market here.