Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ok so i got a bigger problem then the floppy  (Read 7458 times)

the jesbus fire

ok so i got a bigger problem then the floppy
« on: July 04, 2004, 10:42:00 AM »
my computer straight up died on me...i leave to go mow the grass, put the case door back on it, come back and it won't turn on! *censored* dells, *censored* them to *censored*!

Raptor

Re: ok so i got a bigger problem then the floppy
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 04:27:20 PM »
More information is required before you start cursing at anyone or anything. Perhaps it is all your fault.

What actions have you taken before you left the computer? Settings changed? Hardware overclocked? What Operating System are you using? What did you do when you took the case plating off? Is your refigerator running?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 04:51:07 AM by Raptor »

merlin

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 05:34:18 PM »
and did you cut the grass with them nice lines in it ....and  more info on dell *censored*....

the jesbus fire

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 02:29:08 PM »
yeah ok well it's workin now, for some reason the power button and the restart button got switched. And now the restart button doesn't work... but that's alright i can deal with that. I have bigger problems now, this thing is being a pain. So I finally got xp loaded after i formatted the drive to use the NFTS system. Soon as i turn it off and try to turn it back on, I get this error "Disk Read Error Occurred press ctrl alt del to restart." So i checked the microsoft support page and they told me that something was wrong with my csmo's. My drive used to be on the FAT28 or FAT16, pretty sure the FAT28 system. Anyways when i try to load xp again, it doesn't have an option for FAT28 system just the NFTS. It works fine as long as i don't turn it off, but reloading xp everytime i want to use the computer isn't my idea of fun.

anyways my system specs are

Dell Dimension XPS T600r
600mhz
256mb pc100 ram
80gb western digital hard drive (WD800)

that's about all you should need to know

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 02:46:30 PM »
I think you mean FAT32. I donot believe there is a FAT28?

Look for your Power/Reset buttons in the BIOS, you should be able to control from there what button does what.

the jesbus fire

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 02:53:01 PM »
yeah, FAT32 was it, but how do i get it back to FAT32 if i only get the option of NFTS? I have to load xp everytime i  restart my computer and that's not fun. Is there anyway i can put the drive back into FAT32?

the buttons don't really bother me

merlin

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 02:54:05 PM »
re-boot pc hit the f8 key and  type scandisk in the run box..also have you had the case of and switched the wiring...re-start button --- power button just wondered..

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 02:55:26 PM »
I donot believe Windows XP supports FAT32.

I can not tell you how to do it by only using Windows XP.

When I format I first have to install Windows 98, choose FAT 32 (For disks under 64 gigabyte if I am correct) for a small partition used to run Windows.

I then upgrade to Windows XP and choose NTFS when enabling the remaining disk space as an additional partition.

I donot know if this helps, I am forced to do this due to my XP Home upgrade.

the jesbus fire

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 03:00:41 PM »
I used to have windows98 installed on it then i installed xp but my drive was split into 2 different partitions. So i installed one system on each partition. Then i ended up getting system conflict errors and my computer would run really slow when i used programs like internet explorer, or accessed the network files. The thing just had problems on anything that both of the systems would use and it would lag like crazy. So i got a 6 disk floppy boot for windows xp and i can install it directly, i can't really try installing 98 then installing over it now, cause i can't find my boot disk.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 05:55:17 PM »
    ......why dont you download a win98 boot disk for a start  , then given you have your win XP cd and product code. use the win boot disk to start and then use the FDISK function and remove the existing partition .....format the complete drive and reinstall win xp on a nice clean drive.......then get all the Windows updates and your off and running

Good luck.

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

the jesbus fire

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 08:04:00 PM »
    well it's workin right now, for some reason before it was set to turn off the hard drive after 15 minutes and my pooter didn't like that, it seems to be restarting fine, for the time being. Before it just died on me so i unno if it's alright, if i have anymore problems i'll post again later.

merlin

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2004, 06:46:08 PM »
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306559   ----------http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm  but it might have help us to solve your problem by posting it in the first place ;)
    « Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 06:47:53 PM by merlin »