Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound Advice Please  (Read 3918 times)

rockalcock

Sound Advice Please
« on: July 05, 2004, 09:09:14 AM »
Hello

I am having a sound problem. I am only recieving one channel (right) but over BOTH speakers. I have checked all wires and connections, replaced a new soundcard, removed new soundcard, placed old sound card into new slot..etc without any success, removed all old drivers ( i think)etc...

This sounds like a conflict somewhere...any guru's able to help shed some light??

This happens with mp3, cd's...whatever

athelon 600
128 mb ram
sblive value
two speakers - one sub only

Rockalcock

Thanks in advance

MalikTous

Re: Sound Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 09:36:43 PM »
You will be running the AudioHQ utility in test mode. Install it if not already on the machine.

Test 1:
Disconnect all AUX, LINE, CDRom, and other devices connected to the sound card. Connect a stereo headset to the SPKR 1 jack on the sound card. Open AudioHQ and go to the settings and set the system for either Headset or Single Speaker Pair. Test to insure you get separate sound for each side of the headset. If you get single-channel response, try another headset; if that also only runs single channel replace the sound card.

Test 2:
If the headset test gave you stereo sound, replace the headset with your stereo speakers. If the speakers give you R-only mono, replace the patch cord between the speakers and the PC and make sure it is a stereo patch cord. If the speakers still play only right channel, get the speaker input jack fixed/replaced.

Test 3:
If your sound card seems to perform right with the speakers and headset but without the other accessories plugged in, start testing with one accessory at a time until it plays right channel only again. Repair or replace the defective accessory or accesory cable.

Post test:
Use AudioHQ to re-establish your sound card setup for your multiple speaker setup. If a channel goes lame, download and install the drivers for Sound Blaster Live from www.gateway.com, NOT the Creative Labs/SoundBlaster site drivers. TYhen go through the list using Update Drivers in manual mode to find a driver that works right for your card.

merlin

Re: Sound Advice Please
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 11:41:20 PM »
check the balance slider< master volume control> is not shifted to one direction  left? right?take a look a the playback progam if it applies some do some dont winamp i think has this ?