Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with Partitioning on laptop  (Read 2893 times)

kinoman5

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Help with Partitioning on laptop
    « on: December 04, 2011, 12:51:06 PM »
    Today I installed Windows 7 Ultimate. I had a couple of partitions and I deleted all of them and came out with what showed 1 drive of 690 gb space. I created a new 30gb partition and installed windows onto it. Now I open up my computer to check everything, and all it shows is the 30gb windows partition and not the 660gb other partition.
    What did I do wrong and how can I fix this? Please help!
    Thank you!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Help with Partitioning on laptop
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 01:00:09 PM »
    I had a couple of partitions and I deleted all of them and came out with what showed 1 drive of 690 gb space. new 30gb partition and installed windows onto it. Now I open up my computer to check everything, and all it shows is the 30gb windows partition and not the 660gb other partition.
    You only created one partition. You can use Disk Management to create another partition in the unallocated space.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Help with Partitioning on laptop
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »
    Just to expand on the above answer, unallocated space will remain "unallocated" until it is formatted. You can either do as suggested above and use Disk Management or you can use a third party app if you prefer (such as Easeus Partition Manager - http://www.partition-tool.com/) to create additional partitions. There's no advantage to one over the other - whatever you're most comfortable with.