Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Any good cheap tablets about?  (Read 2623 times)

Crafty

Any good cheap tablets about?
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:58:34 AM »
Hi I am lopoking for a cheap tablet too buy. Does anyone know if the kindle fire is any gpod, or is there a  better cheaper one about? I will party around £200. Thanks!

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Any good cheap tablets about?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »
I have not seen a Kindle in use but I have seen a Barnes and Noble NOOK Color in use and I was favorably impressed with its features.  I imagine the Kindle is very similar to the NOOK.  This article may be helpful: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33198_7-57319054-286/kindle-fire-vs-nook-tablet/

Darthgumby

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
    It depends what you want to use it for.  The Kindle fire is good if you are looking for an e-reader or something really basic.  If you are looking for something as far as web browsing, games, documents, or any kind of business use, i'd suggest either saving for something a little nicer like a Samsung Galaxy, Mororola Xoom, or an ipad.  If you're really in a budget, then go for a netbook by Acer.
    There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »
    I've got the Kindle fire and enjoy it, its a very basic tablet and ok e-reader (still prefer the original kindle for reading for hours). But as mentioned above really depends on what you want to do with the tablet. If you want to just surf the web, play some games from Android, etc. for the $200 price point hard to beat the Fire. Especially if you're an Amazon Prime member.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

Crafty

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 03:08:42 PM »
    I just realised kindle fire is not out here in the UK yet. Does anyone know if I can tether wifi the Xoom tablet to the Samsung galaxy s 2mobile phone?

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 07:03:02 AM »
    Here is a video of how to tether the Xoom to a Droid X via Bluetooth(I'd assume that the steps for the Galaxy S2 are relatively similar as both run Android):
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=htZ6uoPYtqk
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none