Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: which is the best programming software to write a simple copy and paste program  (Read 2854 times)

kwfine

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Hi all,

I have been collecting CNN news for months.
    What I always do is that:
    I go to CNN web site, press the WORLD button and copy the news below the "Top World Stories".
    Those news are pasted and saved in a EXCEL file.
    But sometimes, I got some other work to do and I did not have time to copy the news and paste in the EXCEL file.
    I am thinking to write a simple program that can go to the CNN web site and copy those news for me everytime when launched the program, but I have no idea which programming software is the best.
    Microsoft VB.net , Eclipse or NetBeans?
    Or could you suggest another tool for me please?

Thank you.

Kitty

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    I would use a combination of the cURL libraries and regular expression parsing.  Specifically, I'd use a PHP script to retrieve the CNN page (using cURL) and then parse it (using regular expression pattern matching).  PHP can output into CSV, so that would do for Excel, unless you needed fancy formatting.  If you want to copy images and such like, you're going to find this to be a tough job in almost any programming language.

I wonder if an RSS feed from CNN might suit your needs better?
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos