Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Banned for Spam  (Read 1808 times)

Wraith

Banned for Spam
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:32:07 PM »
Hello all, I've come to join Computer Hope to get some advice.

I've recently tried to log on to a forum (not this one) and found that it was inaccessible to me. I've contacted the administrator and they said their systems blocked my IP for spamming. They also sent me a list from Stop Forum Spam with the IP responsible for spamming and I've found that the culprit IP doesn't match mine; in fact, my IP and the spamming IP are from completely different countires. I've been told to contact my ISP to clear this problem, but I have yet to do so. The reason for this is that I'd like to gather some background information before I call in.

I've also researched a bit. I know that a computer can be hijacked and used to send spam but I'm a bit doubtful of that possibility, more because the IP is different and the emails listed on the Stop Forum Spam list are unknown to me, but I'm a complete novice in the computer area, so I really can't say. I've also checked my actual IP on Stop Forum Spam, and found that I'm clean on that account. I don't use proxies and I'm the only one using this specific computer, but there are other computers and other users in my home. I don't believe that the others use proxies or that the computers have been hijacked, but again, my computer knowledge is limited.

If any additional information is needed, please say so and I apologize if I'm a bit wordy. :-[

Thanks for reading and for any advice you can give!

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Banned for Spam
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 05:46:31 AM »
You can obviously post here. Just go to the correct support forum and post your question.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Banned for Spam
    « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:50:07 AM »
    If it is important for you to be able to join the particular forum where the issue exists then i would recommend that you address it in the manner in which it was suggested to you "I've been told to contact my ISP to clear this problem, but I have yet to do so." Yes your IP may being used by others that have hacked into your IP address and if you don't resolve the issue with your ISP then you can try a post relating to the issue on the CH forum subsection pertaining to virus/malware  infections. However ultimately the inclusion of your current IP address is what is recorded at the forum that you are being denied access to and that will have to be resolved and your ISP can do that.truenorth