Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Characters in subjest line  (Read 3170 times)

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Characters in subjest line
    « on: January 02, 2012, 09:33:59 AM »
    I use Firefox 3.6.3 and I have been noticing in yahoo mail in the subject line I get a little square box with the numbers 27 on top and 28 on the bottom where there should seem to be letters is this because of browser or it related to windows XP? I should mention it is not all email's just some of them.

John

Salmon Trout

Re: Characters in subjest line
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
    This is a Unicode thing. If the font Firefox is using in the subject line doesn't have the Unicode character referenced, it will display a box instead with the glyph's ID in it; in this case (2728). Either change the font that you're using in Firefox to a more Unicode-friendly font, or try installing one of the free Unicode fonts available. In certain fonts the character is a symbol called "Sparkles" and looks like this:

It is found in symbol fonts such as Dingbats. Whoever is sending you these emails thinks you are using a Unicode compatible font, or doesn't care. Or they've got a Mac. Or you have.

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:50:04 AM »
      That is something I never knew as I thought every thing takes care of itself.

John

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:36:02 AM »
      That is something I never knew as I thought every thing takes care of itself
      John

It only appears that way because of the large pool of talented developers, designers, and engineers whose efforts go into the creation of the software you use. Even something as simple as sorting brings with it a heavy academic and interface design background.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »
      It only appears that way because of the large pool of talented developers, designers, and engineers whose efforts go into the creation of the software you use. Even something as simple as sorting brings with it a heavy academic and interface design background.

Well put lol