Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Popping and Echo coming from speakers  (Read 5953 times)

Calvin Marks

Popping and Echo coming from speakers
« on: July 05, 2004, 07:11:22 PM »
Hi there, I've got quite a confusing problem related to my computers audio. I'm running Windows 2000 and am using integrated sound from my motherboard, though I do have a good speaker system. It's a Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital Sound System. Whenever I download music or play video games the playback is PERFECT, but whenever I insert an audio CD to be played I get a distant popping and echo sound that continues. I've updated my integrated sounds drivers. (Realtek '97 audio I believe), but the problem is not being resolved. A friend said that it could be that the audio cable from my cd rom isn't connected properly to the motherboard. I checked and it is. It's a strange problem due to the fact that this sound only occurs when I play a CD. I've even tried equalizing the sound on windows media, nothing works.

Thank you kindly.

-Calvin

MalikTous

Re: Popping and Echo coming from speakers
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 08:58:05 PM »
It might be that you need to use a real sound card and deactivate the embedded audio device. I'd recommennd a Turtle Beach Montego or SoundBlaster Live or Audigy model.

Test: Plug a headset or amped speaker into the jack on the front of the CD drive, and if the noises are still there when you play a CD, you have a bad audio circuit on that CD drive. Replace the drive, or retire it from audio service (it may still read - or write - program CDs fine).

calvin

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 09:17:16 AM »
It's strange cause I have a DVD-ROM drive and a CD burner drive and BOTH make the same noise. So I find it hard to believe that both the wires are screwed. It's just strange that it only happens when inserting a CD, not playing downloaded mp3's

thx

merlin

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 12:50:50 PM »
a mic could cause this fed back that if you have one attached to your pc? and this happen only on one cd if so it maybe a bad recording?

calvin

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 04:53:43 PM »
nah, no mike is plugged in. And it's on all my cd's!

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 04:56:02 PM »
Did you replace both CD rom cables?

I suggest you install a soundcard that matches with your speakersets performance.