Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Flashing Bios using USB for Acer Aspire 5515  (Read 7486 times)

Dani88

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Flashing Bios using USB for Acer Aspire 5515
    « on: January 31, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »
    Flashing BIOS using USB for Acer Aspire 5515 W/ Black Screen of Death.*

Hello. My acer aspire 5515 has the black screen of death. It happened after using the erecovery. Anyway, I've been trying to find specific instructions for my model to flash the bios using a USB. The only tutorials that I've found are mostly for acer aspire one notebooks. I have another laptop that I've been using to download the bios from the acer website...I tried to flash using the instructions from the manual for my 5515 but it's apparent that I'm doing something wrong since my notebook never boots and still has a black screen. Here are the instructions for my notebook:

Steps for BIOS Recovery from USB Storage: Before doing this, prepare the Crisis USB key. The Crisis USB key could be made by executing the Crisis Disk program in another system with Windows XP OS. Follow the steps below: 1.Save ROM file (file name: JAL90x64.fd) to the root directory of USB storage. 2.Plug USB storage into USB port. 3.Press Fn + ESC button then plug in AC. The Power button flashes once. 4.Press Power button to initiate system CRISIS mode. When CRISIS is complete, the system auto restarts with a workable BIOS. 5.Update the latest version BIOS for this machine by regular BIOS flashing process.

???Also, I'm confused about how to make my USB(4gb) bootable...is there anything 'special' that i have to do to it first? Do I need to rename the ROM file or keep it as is? Which bios files do I need to copy to my USB? Is there some sort of download such as 'Unetbootin' that I need to use?

As you can see, I'm lost. There's so much information and methods of flashing that I don't know specifically whats best for my model.

Id really appreciate any advice that can bring my notebook back to life.

Techo

Rookie
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Flashing Bios using USB for Acer Aspire 5515
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:11:09 PM »
    Hi Dan88,

You need to fix the laptop before trying a BIOS update unless the problem of the blank display is caused because a failed bios update which has left the laptop not starting. Do you get Acer on the screen when you start the laptop. What lights are lite on the laptop ? have you tried it with an external monitor ? Until you can see the Acer on the screen the laptop won't boot from USB pendrives Sorry