Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: erc locking failed ASUS MB AMI Bios  (Read 4369 times)

TonyGuitar

Topic Starter

• PhotoTonyG.blogspot
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
erc locking failed ASUS MB AMI Bios
« on: February 03, 2012, 11:20:45 PM »
Hi friends,   erc locking  not  on  ASUS  help  website...soooo...

Asus mother board  P4P8X...063

==============
AMI Bios Error Message.. Celeron cpu

OS Settings Wrong

OS  Date/Time not set

erc locking failed **************

Please  enter  setup  to  re-config your  system

F1 - to run  setup

F2 - to  load  default  values and continue

=============================

With the  above  message  in  mind, I replaced  the  2032  button
Bios  battery.  The old  one  was  low.   Then I  reset  the  bios time  and  date  to
the current  time.

That  corrects the wrong  OS,  as  XP  was  not  on  in  2003,  the  default year  that  the bios  defaults  to.

‘Erc  locking  failed’  is  not  known  to  me  but  it  is  still  a  problem  as  the
computer  starts  after  a  long  delay.  It  does  run  for  a  while  but  I  can  hear  a  relay  snapping  as  if  to  lock  in.

The  box  will  suddenly  shut  down  without  warning,  especially  when  transferring files  to  or  from  a  memory stick  or  device.

==============================
Your  ideas  about  what  the  problem  is  and  what  has  to  be  done  for  a  fix  is
very  welcome.  TonyGuitar
Use  a  camera  every  day  you  can...... Its  a  cheap  hobby  now  and  you'll  see  way  more  than  you  ever  have  in  life  so  far. .... Don't  miss  it.  PhotoTonyG dot Blogspot

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: erc locking failed ASUS MB AMI Bios
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 11:12:40 AM »
Without more info are are some possibilities to eliminate:
A. Overheating
B. Bad RAM stick
C. Failing Power supply
D. Bad Hard Drive
E. USB device conflict

See if you can find a way to eliminate the above. For example, put a large desk fan behind the case a blow a lot of air at it to bring down the temps.If it takes longer before failure, assume heating issue. Even tho that is a super simple test, there are some techs out there that never think  of doing that.

But if it is not heat-related, go to the next item in the list. Resubstitute other RAM and see what happens. And so on down the list.

TonyGuitar

Topic Starter

• PhotoTonyG.blogspot
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »
Geek,
 Very  clever,  that  fan  idea...gonna  do  that  and  re-seat  the  ram  sticks.  Funny  how  there  seems to  be  no  reference  to  ' ERC  LOCKING'  on  the web or  Asus  tech website.

AMI,  who  make  the  bios, explain  that  error  messages  are  set  by  the  motherboard  maker  and  not  by  AMI.    Learned  something  ..eh?   Thanks,  I'll  be  back.  TG
Use  a  camera  every  day  you  can...... Its  a  cheap  hobby  now  and  you'll  see  way  more  than  you  ever  have  in  life  so  far. .... Don't  miss  it.  PhotoTonyG dot Blogspot

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 12:45:17 PM »
If you keep getting the ERC code, you have to clear the CMOS. Or else there is a jumper on the Motherboard to disable the ERC feature. Is ERC in the documentation for that motherboard?