Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Want program manuals  (Read 6021 times)

Bobh

Want program manuals
« on: February 04, 2012, 08:52:48 AM »
Hi -
I am running Vista Home Basic   35 bit.  I have 28 programs listed.  I don't know much about computers, but would like to learn what each programs does.  Is there a book or manual that will tell me what each program is for and if I don't want to use it can I delete it without effecting any of the other programs?    Thanks    Bob

Bobh

Re: Want program manuals
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
Hi -
I should have put this in Computer Software.  Sorry   Please move it for me.    Bob

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
Vista 35 bit?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 09:14:48 AM »
Use a search engine to get some info on your programs.  In some cases, the software developer's website will surely have some info, perhaps including an online user manual in PDF format.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 10:59:57 AM »
The 35 bit is unheard of. He must have meant 36 bit.
http://www.pdpplanet.com/TemplateMain.aspx?contentId=56
36-Bit Computers from Digital Equipment Corporation

DEC's 36-bit systems were designed for large-scale scientific and engineering computing, but were successful in the commercial arena as well. The large address space was deliberately designed with artificial intelligence research in mind, and the ability to fit two addresses into a single word greatly simplified the implementation of the Lisp programming language most common in that field. The 36-bit family was cancelled in May 1983 along with the project which attempted to build a follow-on processor ("Jupiter," KC-10, DECSYSTEM-4050). By this time, the customer base was strong enough that Digital was forced to continue hardware development until 1988 and software development on the operating systems and user programs until 1993.
  I was just wondering, Anybody here would like to start a 36 bit club here on CH? Those of us who have a 36 bit system could exchange notes.   ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »
Why...it was phased out in 1983...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Bobh

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
Hi -
I meant 32 bit.  Sometimes my memory is not good!!!

Soybean -
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try that.  I get what I want out of this computer, which isn't much but I can always use more information.    Thanks     Bob

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »
Why...it was phased out in 1983...
But the Intel CPU with PAE is a 36 bit CPU -
and is still in use in infomercial servers running Windows software...
  :P  (tongue in cheek)

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
Hi -
I meant 32 bit.  Sometimes my memory is not good!!!

Soybean -
Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try that.  I get what I want out of this computer, which isn't much but I can always use more information.    Thanks     Bob

Exactly what programs are you looking at? Is this a clean installation of Windows?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
Full documentation for many popular programs is available over the Internet. Some are in PDF that can be printed ans a nice document that can be put in a binder.

MS Vista is so extensive, it is better to just read an introductory guide. Like this one:
Getting started with Windows Vista

Microsoft Word and Excel have built-in help guides. A suitable tutorial can be found here:

MS Office tutorial on-line

EDIT: Wrong link, fixed it.

Bobh

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 08:36:15 AM »
Hi -
Geek-9pm
Thanks for your in for.  I may check them out but I think I have what I need right now.

Soybean -
I used "search" and found what I wanted.  There were several programs that I will never use so I deleted them.  I just like to keep things as clean as possible.  For example I will never store pictures so I deleted "Windows Photo Gallery".
Thanks for your help.     Bob

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »
Aw, I dislike being ignored.

Oh well. Out.

Bobh

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 06:13:18 AM »
Raptor -
Sorry   I was busy with suggestions I had not gotten to your reply.  I really appreciate all replies as I learn from them.
In fact what little I know about computers I have learned from this forum.
To clarify!  As I said I have programs listed that I don't know what they do.   It seems to me that if I got rid of these programs I there would be more usable space someplace in the computer.  I don't need extra space for what I use the computer but I just like to keep things as clean as possible.  I deleted 6 programs so far and everything seems OK.
Thank you for your responding.    Bob

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 06:38:33 AM »
As I said I have programs listed that I don't know what they do
You can use MiniToolBox to list the programs.

Checkmark : List Installed Programs

Click Go and a notepad(result.txt) will appear. From Edit menu, Select All then from Edit again, Copy and Paste the result here.

Bobh

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 09:11:04 AM »
jason2074 -
Thanks for your reply but you are getting me in deeper than I want to be.  I have gotten the infro I wanted at this time.
Maybe in the future I will try what you suggest.  This subject can be marked solved.   Thanks to everyone.    Bob