Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Floppy Disc Drive  (Read 3582 times)

nomisbehvn

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    External Floppy Disc Drive
    « on: February 17, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
    I just purchased a USB Portable Diskette Drive.  It did not come with instructions.  I plugged it into my computer and inserted a floppy.  I want to convert all of my floppys to CD.  I tried to pull up two discs, and I got a warning box that says "not formatted".  If I reformat the floppy disc I'll lose all the data.  What should I do?  I use Windows XP Professional.  Thanks!

Salmon Trout

Re: External Floppy Disc Drive
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:17:34 AM »
    USB floppy drives don't need instructions. Plug it in and use it like a normal floppy drive. The disks may be unreadable. Have you tried them in another computer?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: External Floppy Disc Drive
    « Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 12:42:33 AM »
    Floppy diskettes are notoriously unreliable, and if haven't been used for some time are likely bad. If you reformat the floppy diskette you will loose all data. Try reading the diskettes in another computer as suggested above. If the diskettes give the same error on another computer it's likely bad diskettes.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein