Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wine Installation Fails To Install Reason Ubuntu  (Read 6191 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Wine Installation Fails To Install Reason Ubuntu
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »
i am trying to install reason, the somewhat well known music production program, onto my ubuntu computer

The exact message i get is:
Ignition Key Driver Installation Failed
Could not install or update the drivers for the ignition key. Please install old drivers and try again, or contact customer care

What is it that i need to do to get the installation to work?? All help appreciated.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
Re: Wine Installation Fails To Install Reason Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 06:48:42 AM »
Have you checked the Wine compatibility database?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »
I have looked around at a lot of that, however, i am unable to find a solution
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 05:42:55 AM »
What I mean is, has anybody previously got this application working under Linux?  What is the "Ignition key"?  Is it some kind of software protection dongle?

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
It is not a dongle, but seems to be a small file in the installation that needs to be transfered over, but wont. I know its not an error of authorization, because it is a valid copy and does not get to the registering of the application part.

Although i do find it strange that it needs a driver for a software file....

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 06:10:22 AM »
How about using a native Linux alternative program (stating the obvious, I know)...?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:51:49 PM »
How about using a native Linux alternative program (stating the obvious, I know)...?

LMMS is pretty good, to provide a specific example.

Regarding Reason on Wine, it's current rating is "Garbage" for version 6.0. Apparently version 5.0 is rated as "gold", though.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=811

The copy protection system used on this version doesn't works well with Wine. It has the option to use either online authorization or a USB hardware key for which it needs to install it's drivers. This driver installation fails and makes it impossible to start the application, even though it would have the option to be used in a free demo mode, which let's you try all functions of the software, it only limits the ability of loading project files and exporting your songs.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.