Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDMI sound sytem to computer problem  (Read 4242 times)

Kinospawn

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    HDMI sound sytem to computer problem
    « on: February 23, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »
    Hello I have a samsung ah63-02058 g sound system and I am trying to get my music/movie sound from my computer output to my sound  system, can this be  done, my HDMN cable is not working for it, I do have Optical ports for both, I don't know if that will work either though.  Please assist, thankyou!

truenorth

Guru

Re: HDMI sound sytem to computer problem
      « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 04:58:58 PM »
      Should not be a problem but remember once you have connected to whatever input location on your Samsung you will need to chose that input on the Samsung for you to hear the audio. I don't know what input options that you have on the Samsung system but your manual should tell you what options exist for audio input. Usually the output from the computer for audio is line out on your sound card. However depending on the sophistication of your computer sound card other output (than the line out mini plug) may exist.truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »
      This is a common problem.
      Most computers do not have a sound interface compatible with a Home Theater system. Except the speaker/headphone output.
      This article explains that sound ought to be in the HDMI connector.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
      But laptops do not send out sound to video connectors. Except S-Video on some laptops. An even then not always.

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:19:06 AM »
      But laptops do not send out sound to video connectors. Except S-Video on some laptops. An even then not always.
      That's odd... my laptop outputs sound via HDMI just fine...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »
      That's odd... my laptop outputs sound via HDMI just fine...
      Glad it works for you. Did you have to do any special settings?

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »
      Glad it works for you. Did you have to do any special settings?
      I have the newest graphics driver installed, which I believe the sound processing goes through the graphics card in my laptop when connecting via HDMI. Sometimes I have to go into Control Panel > Sound, then set it to use HDMI output for sound. Since you only want sound input to the device, I wouldn't use HDMI. Using HDMI will send video also. Check to see if the theater unit has a standard 3.5mm audio-in jack (a regular headphone jack). If it does, then use that to connect it to your computer's sound output. If the theater unit doesn't have a standard 3.5mm audio-in jack then you can use the RCA inputs. This solution will require you to buy an RCA to 3.5mm adapter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Male-3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable/dp/B000I23TTE   plug this into the RCA input on the back of the device. Then use a regular 3.5mm audio cable to connect the other end of the adapter to your computer's 3.5mm sound output.

Best of luck

Mike