Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stopping in the middle of loading Windows XP to the hard drive I just installed.  (Read 13988 times)

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

Sorry I hate starting a new topic, but couldn't find one that fit this. :(

Last year I tried to reload Windows XP Operating System on my hard drive, and it would only go halfway through the download and stop.  :'(

So...someone told me I needed another Hard Drive. So I got another one, used off Ebay and put it in. ;D all by myself I might add  :P

I tried to load Windows XP on it and it would get halfway through it and stop...and not finish. Just like the last one that was in there that worked for over a year before I tried to reload windows.

Now I am completely confused...and ready to just pitch it out the window... ???

Obviously the hard drive wasn't even the issue...? Since this one is stopping halfway through the loading process also?

Can you send me in the right direction please and tell me if this is fixable?

Thanks for any help you can send my way!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    I believe LostCoast nailed it identifying it as a bad optical drive....
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Have you tried a different XP cd?

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

Have you tried a different XP cd?

No I only have the one CD... :(

But I just took the CD Rom out and noticed it's a IDE ...and my hard drive is a sata...does that make a difference?

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

I believe LostCoast nailed it identifying it as a bad optical drive....

It makes sense for sure...so going to try that!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        You can replace the optical drive with SATA ...or IDE...doesn't matter.
        Personally i'd get a SATA simply cause they're newer and you can get rid of that fat wide ribbon cable...
        Helps on airflow/cooling.... 8)

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

Personally i'd get a SATA simply cause they're newer and you can get rid of that fat wide ribbon cable...

I would have no clue how to hook up a sata unless it came with instructions and a new cable...lol

Allan

• Mastermind
          Here are instructions on installing a SATA optical drive:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-install-a-SATA-CD-ROM-drive/

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          I would have no clue how to hook up a sata unless it came with instructions and a new cable...lol

It's easier than you can imagine...as long as you take your time...7 minutes...start to finish.

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            I prefer the nice flat ribbon cables with the large surface are.
            - Helps dust collection.

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

It's easier than you can imagine...as long as you take your time...7 minutes...start to finish.

Thanks Patio !

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

I prefer the nice flat ribbon cables with the large surface are.
                - Helps dust collection.

Hmmm...do I detect sarcasm here?...

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                Hmmm...do I detect sarcasm here?...

He tends to post non-productive replies from time time for self-amusement...no worry...

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

Now I sit and twiddle my thumbs until my new cd rom comes in  ::)

Thanks for all your help!

Except Geek  ;D

I think he was being sarcastic...Just sayin...

Allan

• Mastermind

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

He tends to post non-productive replies from time time for self-amusement...no worry...

:o  I see that...

Oh well...I don't take it personal...I'm here for help...and he didn't help... :P

Well maybe he did a little...I suppose...those fat cables could hold dust...lol

Salmon Trout

that fat wide ribbon cable...

They don't have to be flat.

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    SATA's still a better choice...IMHO.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                    • Geek After Dark
                      • Gekk9pm bnlog
                    Alright. I will try to post a productive tip.

I some cases, more often than you might think, you can use a slightly crated CD to install Windows. About three times, I recall, I have made a copy of a CD using a good burner and the resulting copy is better than the ht the original.

Mu positive contribution. Copy the 'bad' CD. The copy may work perfectly. This is based on empirical statistical studies. (Translation: It works 5 times out of 8.)

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

I put another cd rom in...and the hard drive...now my question is this...do I have to put the whole case together before I try the cd rom to see if it works?

Can I leave the cover off and hook it up to the monitor and check it out?

Or Not?   ???

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

SATA's still a better choice...IMHO.

At the risk of sounding stupid....what does IMHO mean?  :P

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        In my humble opinion...
                        And yes you can test it that way...as long as everythings hooked up correctly and the drives are on a flat surface it'll be fine...

Salmon Trout

At the risk of sounding stupid....what does IMHO mean?  :P

It is an acronym or initialism. It means "In my humble opinion". Others include

ISTR I seem to remember
                        IIRC if I remember correctly
                        LOL laugh out loud

etc etc

Lots of web sites with lists you can Google for

e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acronyms_and_initialisms:_I

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

The longer I work on it ...the more I want to throw it out the window  :-X

I got another CD with Windows XP Professional...and loaded it...and it's stopping around the same place the others did...twice shutting down...to protect the computer it said...

I will try the other hard drive tomorrow...and see if I can get it to load on there...

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                          You might wanna try a Linux OS which is free to download and then install on the computer having a issue. What is the stop/error message?

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

You might wanna try a Linux OS which is free to download and then install on the computer having a issue. What is the stop/error message?

There were several different error messages... Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_area was one of them...

I think one said there wasn't enough space? 131000+ on the partition...I believe

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                            • Geek After Dark
                              • Gekk9pm bnlog
                            Don't give up
                            Look Here:
                            When you try to install Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Server 2003, the computer stops responding, or "hangs," during the graphical user interface (GUI) mode portion of Setup. This issue occurs when Setup indicates that 34 minutes remain in the installation.
                            and...
                            If the log files do not indicate the cause of the issue, try removing hardware to determine which device is causing Setup to stop responding.
                                Remove any external hardware, such as attached devices that are not required for setup (for example, printers, external serial devices, and Universal Serial Bus [USB] devices other than the primary keyboard).
                                Remove any internal cards that are not required for setup, such as sound cards.
                                Disable items in the basic input/output system (BIOS), such as ports or power management features, and on-board devices that are not required for setup to complete, such as ....
                            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828267

This is an old issue and has been worked over on other web sites and forums. The general answer is to start with the bare generic hardware and install XP. In some cases you may even have to cut the memory down to 256 MB to get a clean install. Maybe even a more generic VGA card.

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

::)    ???

This is where it starts...

18 minutes left...Registering Components then this screen comes up and says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Disable anti virus, disk defrag, and back up utilites ( jfyi this is a empty hard drive)
                              check for updated drivers, Run chkdsk/F to check for hard drive corruption.

Stop: 0X00000024 (0X001902F8, 0XF64093C0, 0XF64090C0,OX805395E5)

This hard drive had nothing on it (supposedly) when I got it ...I started using one operating disc...and was told it could be scratched...then a friend let me use theirs...and it did get a little further...down to 18 minutes...before this message appeared...

Any help would be appreciated before I become a computer killer  ;D

Salmon Trout

Stop: 0X00000024 (0X001902F8, 0XF64093C0, 0XF64090C0,OX805395E5)

Stop 0x24 errors are a sign of file system problems.

This issue can occur if a problem occurred within the Ntfs.sys file. The Ntfs.sys file is the driver file that enables your computer to read and write to NTFS partitions. Damage in the NTFS file system, damaged portions of your hard disk, or damaged SCSI or IDE drivers can also cause this issue.

Am I getting this right, you have bought a new CD drive, are using a different install disk, and you are still using a used hard drive you got off eBay? Sure seems like you have eliminated two out of three possible causes.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                              • Geek After Dark
                                • Gekk9pm bnlog
                              It would be wise to try another hard drive.
                              Many eBay vendors so a good job of letting buyers get a refund or exchange.
                              The price of a drive does not always indicate quality. But it is a factor.

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

Yeah they said the hard drive was in "excellent working" condition. I have my old one I took out...maybe I will try to put it back in and see if I can reload windows in it.

patio

• Genius
                                • Maud' Dib
                                  • Yes
                                And this is all after replacing the optical drive ...correct ? ?

Salmon Trout

This could be a flaky hardware issue. I see this message was mentioned in a previous post

Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_area

This can be caused by

failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, either main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

or...

A corrupted NTFS volume can also generate this Stop message

(Error Message: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957625.aspx

The trouble is, solving the problem by elimination (new motherboard, RAM, hard drive, etc) amounts in practical terms to buying a new computer. Therefore if the hardware is not so very recent, that may be an option.

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

This could be a flaky hardware issue. I see this message was mentioned in a previous post

This can be caused by

or...

(Error Message: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc957625.aspx

The trouble is, solving the problem by elimination (new motherboard, RAM, hard drive, etc) amounts in practical terms to buying a new computer. Therefore if the hardware is not so very recent, that may be an option.

Yeah I am thinking the same thing...I'm wasting my time...

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

;D  Thanks for all the info and time trying to help me!

patio

• Genius
                                    • Maud' Dib
                                      • Yes
                                    2 things you can also try...that i don't think have been mentioned and we always like Free solutions here :
                                    A) DLoad and run the Free diagnostics from the hard drive manuf. site...run the Long test...
                                    B) DLoad and run MemTest...let it run at least 1 hour...any errors at all and it's a bad stik of RAM...

NOTE: Both procedures involve following the guides at each site for creating a bootable CD to run the tests...
                                    I recommend IMGBurn for doing this...also Free.

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

I need to erase this hard drive...the windows only loaded down to 18 minutes then stops.

I need to get to the black screen to do this, but when I start the computer it goes straight to setting up windows again.

How do I get to the black screen to delete the partition that has the half loaded windows data on it?

???  Help...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                      • Geek After Dark
                                        • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                      Topic Starter
                                      With a working PC you prepare a USB stick or CD that has diagnostic programs on it.
                                      Then you boot up the sick PC with either a CD or a USB thing.
                                      With the diagnostic  programs you can:
                                      A. verify and erase your hard drive.
                                      B. Test you computer RAM.
                                      C. Find any other issues.

From Lifehacker:
                                      Five Best Computer Diagnostic Tools

More hard drive diagnostics are on either the Sea gate site or the Western Digital site. http://seagate.com

Also, Microsoft has a free memory test.
                                      http://microsoft.com 
                                      And recent versions of Ubuntu live have a memory test.
                                      Also, Linux Mint has memory test.
                                      http://linuxmint.com/
                                      Actually, it you can even start a Linux live CD, that is a fair indication that your computer is mostly good.

If you still need more help, come back.

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

;D It's working!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for all your help!!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                        • Geek After Dark
                                          • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                        ;D It's working!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for all your help!!
                                        Wait! Tell us what you undid! Curious minds need to know!

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

Wait! Tell us what you undid! Curious minds need to know!

I put my old CD rom back in...and put in the CD Windows XP Prof disk...and started it back up trying to get to the cmd screen...and it started reinstalling again...so I let it go...and it downloaded the whole thing this time.

But my happiness was short lived...it seems it has no drivers for my Ethernet or USB ports...and when I went into the Device Manager and uninstalled them and restarted it...it can't reinstall without a CD...which I don't have a CD with this computer that has drivers...

So now I need to figure out what Ethernet controller I need and where I can download it to my flash drive and install in on the computer...if that is even possible...

Thoughts??

Salmon Trout

So now I need to figure out what Ethernet controller I need and where I can download it to my flash drive and install in on the computer...if that is even possible...

Have you told us what make & model of PC this is?

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

It is a HP Compac dc 7600

I bought this hard drive with nothing on it I am assuming. I installed XP Professional operating system on it.

But it has no drivers...or usb ports...and it is trying to dial up when I try to set up a internet connection...and mine is a wireless connection not dial up.

Salmon Trout

Download drivers and software

HP Compaq dc7600 Small Form Factor PC

Select operating system

Microsoft Windows 2000
                                            Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit)
                                            Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit)
                                            Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
                                            Microsoft Windows XP Professional

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=472259&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=472277