Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stopping in the middle of loading Windows XP to the hard drive I just installed.  (Read 13986 times)

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

Now I sit and twiddle my thumbs until my new cd rom comes in  ::)

Thanks for all your help!

Except Geek  ;D

I think he was being sarcastic...Just sayin...

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

He tends to post non-productive replies from time time for self-amusement...no worry...

:o  I see that...

Oh well...I don't take it personal...I'm here for help...and he didn't help... :P

Well maybe he did a little...I suppose...those fat cables could hold dust...lol

Salmon Trout

that fat wide ribbon cable...

They don't have to be flat.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      SATA's still a better choice...IMHO.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Alright. I will try to post a productive tip.

I some cases, more often than you might think, you can use a slightly crated CD to install Windows. About three times, I recall, I have made a copy of a CD using a good burner and the resulting copy is better than the ht the original.

Mu positive contribution. Copy the 'bad' CD. The copy may work perfectly. This is based on empirical statistical studies. (Translation: It works 5 times out of 8.)

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

I put another cd rom in...and the hard drive...now my question is this...do I have to put the whole case together before I try the cd rom to see if it works?

Can I leave the cover off and hook it up to the monitor and check it out?

Or Not?   ???

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

SATA's still a better choice...IMHO.

At the risk of sounding stupid....what does IMHO mean?  :P

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          In my humble opinion...
          And yes you can test it that way...as long as everythings hooked up correctly and the drives are on a flat surface it'll be fine...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

At the risk of sounding stupid....what does IMHO mean?  :P

It is an acronym or initialism. It means "In my humble opinion". Others include

ISTR I seem to remember
          IIRC if I remember correctly
          LOL laugh out loud

etc etc

Lots of web sites with lists you can Google for

e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acronyms_and_initialisms:_I

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

The longer I work on it ...the more I want to throw it out the window  :-X

I got another CD with Windows XP Professional...and loaded it...and it's stopping around the same place the others did...twice shutting down...to protect the computer it said...

I will try the other hard drive tomorrow...and see if I can get it to load on there...

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            You might wanna try a Linux OS which is free to download and then install on the computer having a issue. What is the stop/error message?

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

You might wanna try a Linux OS which is free to download and then install on the computer having a issue. What is the stop/error message?

There were several different error messages... Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_area was one of them...

I think one said there wasn't enough space? 131000+ on the partition...I believe

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Expert
              Don't give up
              Look Here:
              When you try to install Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Server 2003, the computer stops responding, or "hangs," during the graphical user interface (GUI) mode portion of Setup. This issue occurs when Setup indicates that 34 minutes remain in the installation.
              and...
              If the log files do not indicate the cause of the issue, try removing hardware to determine which device is causing Setup to stop responding.
                  Remove any external hardware, such as attached devices that are not required for setup (for example, printers, external serial devices, and Universal Serial Bus [USB] devices other than the primary keyboard).
                  Remove any internal cards that are not required for setup, such as sound cards.
                  Disable items in the basic input/output system (BIOS), such as ports or power management features, and on-board devices that are not required for setup to complete, such as ....
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828267

This is an old issue and has been worked over on other web sites and forums. The general answer is to start with the bare generic hardware and install XP. In some cases you may even have to cut the memory down to 256 MB to get a clean install. Maybe even a more generic VGA card.

shecouldbme

Topic Starter

Rookie

::)    ???

This is where it starts...

18 minutes left...Registering Components then this screen comes up and says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Disable anti virus, disk defrag, and back up utilites ( jfyi this is a empty hard drive)
                check for updated drivers, Run chkdsk/F to check for hard drive corruption.

Stop: 0X00000024 (0X001902F8, 0XF64093C0, 0XF64090C0,OX805395E5)

This hard drive had nothing on it (supposedly) when I got it ...I started using one operating disc...and was told it could be scratched...then a friend let me use theirs...and it did get a little further...down to 18 minutes...before this message appeared...

Any help would be appreciated before I become a computer killer  ;D