Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dead NVIDIA graphics card  (Read 2912 times)

adeeba222

Topic Starter

Rookie

Dead NVIDIA graphics card
    « on: March 04, 2012, 01:51:59 PM »

Hi all,

I have a Dell XPS M1530, 3 years old, that came with an NVIDIA GeForce 8400M. When I bought it I did not know that that particular line of graphics card has a known heating problem and is very likely to fail. I know now though... It seems to have basically self-destructed.

If I try to use the laptop with the graphics card enabled, it crashes constantly. If I disable it using device manager, at least the laptop can function without crashing. But sometimes when I start up the laptop the display gets vertical lines running through it and just looks terrible in general, even though it was fine when I shut it down earlier. Then I have to try all sorts of things to get it back to normal.

I don't think I can physically remove the graphics card because I believe it integrated. Could be wrong though. If I disable the graphics card using the BIOS, will that mean the display won't work at all? And if I try to buy a separate dedicated graphics card, will the fact that the fried one is still on the motherboard continue to cause me problems? Remember it still does even when disabled from device manager.

If anyone can answer those questions or offer a better solution I would be so very thankful.

Thanks a lot,
    AFB

Raptor

Re: Dead NVIDIA graphics card
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:36:55 PM »
    You'll have to take it to a reflowing service and have them solder on a new videochip. The 8000 series was very troublesome, Nvidia admitted to that.

It's not something you can do yourself with *SPAM*, despite numerous Youtube videos claiming otherwise.

adeeba222

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »
      Thanks for the reply  :). Although that's not what I was hoping to hear. So no magic BIOS setting that would solve the problem together with a new dedicated card? Thanks again.

AFB

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:48:43 AM »
      Judging from what I've seen on the web, your laptop has a videochip onboard. The service manual does not mention any videocard at all. I might be wrong since I haven't got the actual laptop in front of me but if you think it has a videocard that can be removed, you should find it and try it out with another one.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:01:10 AM »
      the "as shipped" parts inventory (System Configuration) will list a separate graphics card, if there is one.
      Go to www.support.dell.com
      Enter your "Service Tag"
      Select "System Configuration"

adeeba222

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »
        Hi all,

Thank you for the replies. I ended up opening up the laptop, removing the RAM, cooling system and CPU and blasting the integrated graphics card with a heat gun for a few minutes. Unorthodox and risky, but it worked!! It's an unconventional alternative to using a reflowing oven. The problem may recur, but if/ when it does I can repeat the fix. If I have to do it again I'd take out the hard drive too to protect it from the heat. But for now, the laptop is working beautifully  :).

Thanks again.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »
        Not going to last. But enjoy it while it does.