Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer In Reboot loop  (Read 4517 times)

mulliner99

Computer In Reboot loop
« on: July 07, 2004, 08:46:14 AM »
Hi, I have a Compaq s6000T desktop, purchased in January, which has been running fime until Sunday. When I started it the Compaq screen comes up, then the computer goes black for about 10 seconds, the monitor goes to sleep mode, the computer boots up, the monitor wakes, the Compaq screen comes up, and the sequence is repeated. There is no error message.

When I hit F8 it allows me to select options such as start in last known configuration that works, or safe mode, but no matter what I select the same sequence then follows. Compaq told me to do a restore, but says it could destroy my files, so I've taken the whole thing to CompUSA to back up the hard drive.

My question is, is this the only solution or is there something simple I can do to get the computer to boot up? A techy at work says I may need to update the bios, but I'm not sure how to do that if I can't start up Windows. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks! ???  

Raptor

Re: Computer In Reboot loop
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 08:49:23 AM »
You can download BIOS updates and store them on a floppy. If your BIOS supports BIOS Flashing.

You require:

1) Mainboard info
2) Floppy disk
3) Current BIOS version info.

The current BIOS version is usually displayed whilst booting. Such as F1 or F8.

http://www.computerhope.com/help/bios.htm