Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Flash drive won't work  (Read 7484 times)

Cheezey

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Cheese.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Flash drive won't work
    « on: March 25, 2012, 11:33:46 AM »
    I have this flash drive that I've had for a few years, and it was still going strong. Then I had it plugged in to a laptop that was sitting in my lap. I tilted it, and the flash drive pushed against the book that was also on my lap. According to the computer, it ejected and reconnected a few times, and now when I plug it in, the computer says:
    Found New Hardware
    There was a problem installing the software for the device

or something like that. When I go to 'My Computer' the drive doesn't show up.

Is there a way to recover my files? I don't think it's a hardware issue, because there's no visible damage.

Also, there's a really great local computer place near me. Do you think it's worth taking it there?
    Education is the only thing interfering with my learning.
       - Albert Einstein

GlitchPC

Re: Flash drive won't work
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:47:44 AM »
    You haven't specified the manufacturer and model of your flash drive.
    You haven't specified what version of Windows you are using, either.
    You haven't specified if there's any obvious damage to the flash drive or, the port the drive was connected to at the time it pressed against the book.

All of the above details could help us answer your questions...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »
    I don't think it's a hardware issue, because there's no visible damage.

The internal crack that you might have made does not have to be visible to disable the flash drive. (Let us hope it wasn't the USB outlet on the laptop that got damaged.) To recover the files you may have to take the drive to a data recovery company and pay $$$.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 12:09:19 PM »
    You haven't specified the manufacturer and model of your flash drive.
    You haven't specified what version of Windows you are using, either.

These are not remotely relevant.

You haven't specified if there's any obvious damage to the flash drive

He wrote, "there's no visible damage."

or, the port the drive was connected to at the time it pressed against the book.

Cheesey, have you got another drive you can try in that USB port, and have you tried the drive in another computer?

GlitchPC

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 12:18:43 PM »
    These are not remotely relevant.

Not to you...

He wrote, "there's no visible damage."

Just because you can't see it...doesn't mean it's not there...

I thrive on details... ;D

Cheezey

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Cheese.
      « Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »
      have you got another drive you can try in that USB port, and have you tried the drive in another computer?

It's not the port... I've tried it in two other computers with similar behavior, one Windows XP and one Windows 7.

Just because you can't see it...doesn't mean it's not there...

What am I supposed to do, take it apart? I looked at it, I'd have to break the plastic. I think the problem is it disconnected and reconnected several times... you know how you're supposed to always 'eject' flash drives before disconnecting them?
         - Albert Einstein

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
      Q. I dropped my monitor 20 feet and it's in 500 pieces, is there any chance it'll work again? Is there a registry setting that will put it right?
      A. What version of Windows are you running?

GlitchPC

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »
      Found New Hardware

Have you tried re-installing the driver for the drive?

This is where knowing the operating system and the make and model of the drive come in handy... :P

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 12:30:08 PM »
      you're supposed to always 'eject' flash drives before disconnecting them?

I never do... but then I don't use a laptop... I think if the filesystem (only) was damaged by the disconnection then the drive would show up as RAW. This one doesn't show up at all.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 12:30:31 PM »
      Have you tried re-installing the driver for the drive?

What "driver"?

GlitchPC

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 12:33:49 PM »
      From post 1:

Found New Hardware

GlitchPC

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 12:38:47 PM »
      I know there are generic drivers...for later versions of Windows...

Did the device come with any software in order to use the drive?

Cheezey

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Cheese.
        « Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 01:15:16 PM »
        Did the device come with any software in order to use the drive?

Nope. But installed on it was some program to use it... but it wasn't a driver, it was just some red button that turned up on the desktop that you could use to access the files.

It's a SanDisk Cruzer Slide.
           - Albert Einstein

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 10:54:19 PM »
        The only possible cause is that there is a problem with the connection in that either the connector on the drive was damaged or the connector on the laptop was damaged.

The "safely remove drive" only ensure that all data is flushed to the disk. The worst that can ever happen if you don't do this is the file system can be left in an inconsistent state, and in some cases, usually with fat32 drives,  the filesystem will show up as RAW.

It can never cause these symptoms. Chances are the driver can't install because one of the traces inside is disconnected,cracked or otherwise not always a closed circuit, the device is detected, but windows can't install a driver because it's unable to find out what the heck the device is. (or something to that effect). You could try giving it a bit of a nudge in the opposite direction it was pushed before. I had a similar issue... except my laptop fell of a short table and pretty much smashed the USB drive that was plugged into it's rear. I was able to piece it together and hold it in place long enough to copy everything off it it with my free hand eventually, however a few attempts failed because the jigsaw puzzle that was my USB drive lost cohesion/started to fall apart. What errors did I get? A device attached to this system has stopped functioning" and if it happened during the detection phase, the same error you got.

What am I supposed to do, take it apart? I looked at it, I'd have to break the plastic.
        I think it's important to recognize internal damage as a possibility, despite the logistical implications. At this point, the drive may very well be a lost cause in the long term; it's highly likely that it has suffered physical damage, sometimes even the slightest bend can break a trace.
        I think the problem is it disconnected and reconnected several times... you know how you're supposed to always 'eject' flash drive s before disconnecting them?
        An understandable connection, but that is only to prevent the scenario, which is unlikely, that some unflushed data has not been written to the drive. And to make sure there are no open handles on the drive. The only thing it prevents is file system corruption; nothing like this could possibly result from constant reconnections.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Cheezey

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Cheese.
          « Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »
          You could try giving it a bit of a nudge in the opposite direction it was pushed before.

I looked really closely at the drive, and the usb connector was a bit angled. I bent it back, and it worked! However, I'm going to back up all the files on my computer this time.
             - Albert Einstein