Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: custom built pc wont start  (Read 2832 times)

themagicbum

custom built pc wont start
« on: September 21, 2005, 03:04:02 PM »
I built my own PC about 3 months ago, and havent had any problems since getting a HD that worked properly... Anyways, I was playing WoW last night, when I heard a loud pop, and my PC shut off. I waited a few minutes and pushed the power button. Nothing happened. I looked inside, and the light on my motherboard was on, as was the laser on my mouse. So i flipped off the PSU and turned it back on, then tried everything again. Still nothing happening. My guess is I fried something, but I cant find out what. Everything looks ok on my motherboard, processor, and video card / ram / etc. Im going to take apart and re-attach the wires to the power button now. Any advice would be appreciated.

System Specs:

ASUS P4S800D-X motherboard
Pentium 4 3.2 ghz processor
Seagate 160gig IDE HD
Memorex 52x CDRW drive
1024 mb Kingston PC3200 ram
500watt Raidmax PSU that came with the case
ATI Radeon 9550 vid card
Windows XP Pro w/ SP2

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    Re: custom built pc wont start
    « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 03:13:23 PM »
    Anyways, I was playing WoW last night, when I heard a loud pop, and my PC shut off.

Check your CPU sometimes that noise happens when one of the clips has broken on the CPU Fan mount.
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

themagicbum

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 03:41:09 PM »
    I checked the fan, and the mount. Everything looks fine. The sound I was referring to was more of an electrical short or spark sorta noise.. It's leading me to believe that some component burned out.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 03:49:35 PM »
    Use a known working PSU.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 04:03:52 PM »
    Agreed. Power supply is the most likely culprit here. Try using one from another computer (of sufficient wattage) to check this theory out for free.

themagicbum

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 04:42:18 PM »
    One last thing...

I can turn on the PSU and the light on my motherboard comes on. Im assuming this means that some power is flowing through onto the board? Could it be that the PSU is only sending power to certain things?

GX1 Man

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 04:58:21 PM »
    Maybe, or a very little power to all things, but you need tostart removing the variables from the problem.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 05:00:41 PM »
    Light on motherboard is +5V from PSU, drives and fans are +5V and +12V.  On unused 4-pin power plug, check for +12V (yellow to black).