Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hardware monitor showing impossable readings.  (Read 12493 times)

jeremysdad

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Hardware monitor showing impossable readings.
    « on: May 20, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »
    Hello all. I posted in hardware forums, explaning my problem but did  not get help that I could use or understand. This PC is custom. --Mainboard Asrock A770DE+--Processor AMD Sempron 140. --4096MB memory-- Video card ATI Radeon HD 5800 series.--chipset AMD RD770. OS is windows7 ultimate. My problem is--at set up screen, looking at H/W monitor it shows CPU 125c/257F. M/B temp.@ 126C/258F. I recieve this reading after PC has been on and working for a while or within 15 seconds after a cold start up in the morning. I have downloaded many programs to confirm or dispute these readings. All of these other programs tell me that my cpu's temperature is around 40C average. HD temp around 30c to 36c. Video card's temp around 31c to 38c. I am also recieving impossable voltage readings. The =3.3v+ 2.816v  The +5v =0.480v The +12 =0.892v Vin5 = 1.536 Vin6 = 1.032v These readings come from Speccy. I got these readings acouple of weeks ago so I bought  another PSU. I still get these readings. I have disconnected and reconnected this PSU and still get weird readings.Where do programs like Speccy recieve information from? Could my bios be wrong? Somone please help, This is driving me up the wall.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hardware monitor showing impossable readings.
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 05:55:57 PM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

You said:
    The =3.3v+ 2.816v  The +5v =0.480v The +12 =0.892v Vin5 = 1.536 Vin6 = 1.032v
    That looks like a typo. But any one of those would stop you dead. The system can not start with anything much below 4.5 volts. And internal hard drives can not spin up to spin with anything g under 10 volts on the 12 bolt rail.

You may need to get personal insistence from a fiend or family member that can see what you are doing. Thee is something g very wrong with the test equipment you have. Or else you need to have somebody show you how to use a voltage tester.

But otherwise, does your home-built system run at all? Do you get into the BIOS? Foes Windows 7 run OK?

Any temps below 50 C and fine.
    It is the strange voltages that are very weird.

jeremysdad

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »
      Yes it was a typo.sorry! I have not tested the PC with a voltage tester. I am wondering if the strange volt readings have any correlation with setups H/W monitor telling me that the motherboard is frying. All other programs show that the PC is running in safe parameters. Also these other programs show imposable voltage readings. The PC is running fine. The M/B only feels slightly warm to the touch. CPU cooler as well.Could it be somthing in Bios?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:21:59 PM »
      You need to try other programs. In general, modern power supplies are very tight with voltage regulation. And the motherboard also has more regulation where it is  needed. Often it is more precise that common Digital Volt metes.
      As for the temperatures, there are thermal sensors in the CPU and in the hard drive. These are very accurate. Thermal sensors are old technology and are well withing a one per cent accuracy. But they can burn out. Rarely. More likely the software is not right.
      Search Google for alternative programs for temperature.
      Check this out:
      Everest Home Edition 2.20 You do not have to buy anything.
      Just download the free program, not the other stuff.
      Temperature is listed under sensors.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 02:16:10 AM »
      You already have an open topic for this issue:
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,130768.0.html

Please don't create new topics for the same issue.

jeremysdad

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 11:32:41 AM »
        I downloaded everest as you suggested. This makes a total of five (5) other monitoring programs besides Bios setup H/W monitor on this PC. I don't think I need any more programs to tell me that CPU temperature is 40c average,-GPU =36c average,HD=31c average. There are 7 fans in this PC to keep it cool. There is no dust, I have reaplied thermal compound,and bought a new power supply. I receive the same voltage readings. I agree that this PC could not post if these voltage readings or temperature readings from bios hardware monitor were correct. Would flashing Bios correct these readings? The motherboard could not reach a temperature of 258 F. in 15 seconds after a cold start-up in the morning.The board or CPU cooler are only warm to the touch. Are all of these other programs getting there info from Bios??

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 01:00:21 PM »
        No. Do not flash the BIOS.
        The temperatures readings are OK. In fact, on the low side.

The voltage readings you have are wrong. Thee device or tool is doing wrong. The power supply is OK. The motherboard is OK.

To make sure we are talking about the  same thing -  Please look at this link:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_%28computer%29

The nominal voltages are 12,  5.0 and 3.3; negative voltages are also available.
        The internal voltages bread by monitor programs are NOT the PSU voltages.

jeremysdad

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »
          Thank you Geek for your help. I agree that the reported voltage's are not correct. What is bothering me is that when going to Bios setup looking at H/W monitor, the information that is recorded is incorrect. Is there any way for the computer to correct this display? Well at least I have an extra power supply if ever needed!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »
          I need to admit I have no knowledge of your motherboard. My comments are based on observations of other motherboards over a period of years. To the best of my understanding, the BIOS monitors are on give the user information. They do not diagnose any problem. The BIOS may have a error in that area, but it does not impact performance.

As I mentioned earlier, it is impossible for the motherboard to run if there is not a voltage of at least 4 volts son the 5 volt rail. Normal variation is 4.8 to 5.1 volts measured on the motherboard with a digital voltmeter. So what you see is either not from the 5 volt rail or the sensor is messed up.

Fla hing the BIOS just to correct this issue is not a good idea. You can contact the maker of the motherboard and see if they have an rational remedies. It is possible that there was a defect in fabrication. The voltage sensors are the wrong type. Or maybe they are not even present.  Replacing the sensors may not be even possible. They could be integrated into other things.

Look over your documentation about the BIOS monitor.
          Does this link have any in formation relevant to this topic?
          http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=A770DE%2B&o=All

The failure of a sensor is a kind of thing would not show up in fast production testing because it is a trivial feature. It is not used for any process. It is just a feature for the user to enjoy. Unless there really is some related issue, it should be safe to ignore the problem for a home user. In commercial work that is not an acceptable answer.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »
          MBoard sensors are bad...as i stated in your other Topic you can buy a pencil probe that will give you accurate readings...
          BTW It was silly to start a new Topic.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jeremysdad

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »
            I don't think it was silly. I was looking for answers. A pencil probe is not going to tell me Why the wrong readings, or if I needed to flash the Bios, to correct these bogus readings. So now I guess we can all disregard hardware readings no matter the source. I believe we can close this discussion.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
            Let's mark this closed. This issue has been well-documented on other forums and they say the same thing stated here. Get a good digital device for measurement of voltages with physical probe. Repair or replacement of motherboard sensors is futile.

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »
            The motherboard could not reach a temperature of 258 F. in 15 seconds after a cold start-up in the morning.

Actually, a CPU can overheat in as little as 10 seconds. Even with a CPU cooler/fan. Especially is there is no thermal paste or it badly needs reapplied.

I don't think overheating is your issue, just faulty sensors, as Patio stated. You could try flashing the BIOS if that will make you feel better, but in the end you will probably end up replacing the board to fix this issue.

If different programs and even the BIOS hardware monitor is telling you the same thing, it's likely a hardware fault if it's not actually overheating.

I don't think it was silly. I was looking for answers.

Actually, it was. The people who answered in that forum are the same people who answer here and on most every forum on this site.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 03:04:14 AM »
            according to speedfan my +12V rail is only 1.09V ,my -12V rail is -16V, and my -5V is -8V. Each of these is well outside the tolerance of a PWR_GOOD signal, and if they were accurate I doubt it would have run for the last four years with these readings.

I might have missed it, but I'm not 100% sure what the BIOS would have to do with this issue, since typically voltage and temperatures are accessed by reading from specific IO addresses. The BIOS can report these values usually too, but typically it's the chipset that actually maps the values from the thermosistors and fan readings to those addresses.

Usually these are the result of faulty hardware monitoring sensors, or (usually more likely) software that doesn't know where to look for the values on that motherboard. Usually it takes a quick look around and makes assumptions about where things are. Sometimes  those assumptions are wrong and will give you silly values.

The only thing you can trust is any reading software included in the BIOS itself, since that is designed for the chipset in some fashion. If the voltages are wrong in the CMOS setup screens, than the sensors are busted.

I'd check if my own voltages were caused by ill-inspected sensors but I'm on a 60-day uptime streak. (which I assume would be difficult if my voltages according to speedfan were accurate).
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 09:33:14 AM »
            If anybody wants to go deep into this matter of how software reads any sensor, here is a tutorial.
            http://www.ladyada.net/learn/sensors/tmp36.html
            From the above you will nee that you have to know what sensors are installed. The sensors are very reliable and simple. But they are not all the same. There is no law that requires manufactures to all use the same sensor models.

Look at the graph. What do you see?