Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No audio, even after replacing sound card. Hardware or software problem?  (Read 42590 times)

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi

I've got quite a weird problem: I get almost no sound out of my computer, even though the PC/Speaker volume is turned all the way up and I replaced my sound card. After a great deal of trying to fix it, I still don't even know for sure if it's hardware or software related. I'll try to explain as clearly as possible, it's quite a story though already.

How and when
    Two days ago, I connected my self built desktop computer (I'll list specs below) to a Pioneer SA-530 amplifier I got from a friend recently, using a cable like this one. I put the mini jack in the green speaker outlet on the back of my PC. As far as I know I couldn't do any wrong with that, but I'm afraid I did. It did work though: I could listen to the song played in Winamp through the speakers from the Pioneer amp, but the volume was very low which I found strange already. The Pioneer amp works fine. Before I connected my desktop to it, I installed a Technics turntable from my dad from the 80's which works perfectly.

So that is how and when the problem occurred: after getting almost no volume through the Pioneer amp, I reconnected the speakers I've been using before. I had to turn the PC volume and the speaker volume all the way up, and only then I could here the music being played very softly, and with an overdrive and lots of noise through it. I immediately tested my speakers with my iPod: they work fine. I then connected my headphones to my desktop computer, and I got the same problem: very low volume, overdrive and noise. If I connect my iPod to the Pioneer amp, it works perfectly though.

The problem
    - almost no volume, even though PC/speaker volume is maxed
    - overdrive on the sound
    - noise

What I tried to fix it
    I have an onboard Realtek High Definition Audio soundcard on my motherboard. I figured something might be wrong with the driver, so I went on line and updated it, but that didn't help. I googled for similar problems but couldn't find anything. My conclusion was that when connecting the Pioneer amp to my desktop, I somehow broke the onboard Realtek soundcard.

So, convinced that everything would be fixed by that, I bought a PCI sound card yesterday. I installed it using the instructions provided: physically install it in the computer, then install the drivers with the CD. After rebooting, nothing had changed. I figured maybe the driver from the CD was too old, so searched for the newest driver. That's where a second problem rises: I don't know which sound card I have bought. Very strange, but I'll explain:
    • According to the box: LogiLink PCI Sound Card PC0027B The card is identical to the image provided on this site.
    • According to device manager, after installing the card and the driver, I've got this sound card: C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device, meaning one of these.

At first, I installed the driver listed on the LogiLink site; that didn't help. Then I went searching for the C-Media drivers and installed one of them, don't remember which one but it didn't work.
    Being adviced to do so by my uncle, I then disabled the Realtek soundcard in the BIOS settings, although the new PCI sound card was already listed as the standard device for audio.
    I then tried the following Windows help site, which asked me to run troubleshooter programs. Through that I found out I was still using Service Pack 2, so just to be sure I updated to SP 3, but that didn't help.

To be clear: switching from the onboard Realtek sound card to the new PCI sound card didn't change anything, the sound volume is/was still very low with overdrive and noise.

On line help from computerhope.com chat
    I then went on line on the chat from this site and got help by a few people. I was adviced to remove the new PCI sound card, switch back to the Realtek one in the BIOS settings and do a system restore back to when everything worked fine. I did all of that, also reinstalled the Realtek driver, but nothing changed. One member of the chat thought I somehow broke the audio output on my motherboard because of the Pioneer amp not being grounded.

Specs
    - OS: MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP2 (had SP3 yesterday but due to system restore back on SP2. Will update to SP3 though later today)
    - ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI motherboard
    - Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
    - RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 357MHz (5-5-5-18) Corsair
    - Video: 512MB nVidia GeForce 9600 GT

Soundcards
    - Onboard: Realtek High Definition Audio
    - New PCI soundcard: OR LogiLink PCI Sound Card PC0027B according to the box, OR C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device, meaning one of these, according to device manager after installing it.

I bought my PC in the summer of 2008, so it's about 5 years old. (*censored*, that's fast!)

Conclusion
    I really don't know what is wrong, nobody I called knows, googling didn't help and the chat here neither.
    If it's a software problem, the system restore should have fixed it as far as I know.
    If it's a hardware problem, the new soundcard I installed and which got accepted by device manager should have taken over from the presumably broken Realtek onboard sound card.

The only thing I can think of, like the person from the chat said, is that I broke something on my motherboard itself. Something that can't even be fixed by adding an external PCI sound card.

I was planning on bringing my computer to a PC tech, but I'm able to borrow a USB sound card one of the following days. That's really the last thing I think I can try I think. But being a musician and audiophile, I'm really desperate to get it fixed as soon as possible.  :)
    If I really broke my motherboard, I don't know what the best option would be though. The PC is about 5 years old, so I expect it would be pretty hard to find a motherboard that is compatible with all the other hardware, although I'm not an expert on that.

So, what do you guys think? Is it software or hardware related? Would reinstalling Windows help? Anyone with a creative idea that might help?

I'm really out of idea's...  :(

If anyone needs more info or specs or anything, please ask and I'll do my best.
    TL;DR: (almost) no sound + overdrive/noise after connecting desktop PC to old stereo amp. Updated drivers, replaced onboard sound card with a new PCI one, no change. Switched back to onboard and did system restore. Still don't know if it's hardware or software related. I'm afraid I somehow broke my motherboard.

truenorth

Guru

The only observation i can make re the introduction of the external amplifier is that when inputting sound from an external source to a computer audio card it is advisable to use a pre amplifier rather than an actual amplifier. While an amplifier can be used if the precaution of lowering the output volume is not adjusted to the lowest possible volume the possibility exists to blow the sound card. When i had a need to do this i used a preamp and achieved volume increases through the computer sound card.Although i suspect that you may have already done so (but if you have you don't mention it) have you tried using other input/output jacks on the computer? truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      You need a line level preamp.  I had the same problem with my vintage stereo with a modern TV & MP3 player.
      Get one of these & your problem is solved.
      http://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-780LCpp.html

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

The only observation i can make re the introduction of the external amplifier is that when inputting sound from an external source to a computer audio card it is advisable to use a pre amplifier rather than an actual amplifier. While an amplifier can be used if the precaution of lowering the output volume is not adjusted to the lowest possible volume the possibility exists to blow the sound card. When i had a need to do this i used a preamp and achieved volume increases through the computer sound card.Although i suspect that you may have already done so (but if you have you don't mention it) have you tried using other input/output jacks on the computer? truenorth

Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I connect the (green) output from the desktop to the amplifier AUX input, aren't I inputting the computers' sound in the amplifier?

In any case, when I tried it at first, the volume of the amp was all the way down indeed.

I tried every other input/output jack with my headphones to check if any of them did anything, but to no result...

You need a line level preamp.  I had the same problem with my vintage stereo with a modern TV & MP3 player.
        Get one of these & your problem is solved.
        http://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-780LCpp.html

I don't think that would fix the fact the sound coming out of my computer is of a very low volume, and overdriven/noisy...?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        Hmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I connect the (green) output from the desktop to the amplifier AUX input, aren't I inputting the computers' sound in the amplifier?

In any case, when I tried it at first, the volume of the amp was all the way down indeed.

I tried every other input/output jack with my headphones to check if any of them did anything, but to no result...

I don't think that would fix the fact the sound coming out of my computer is of a very low volume, and overdriven/noisy...?
        Yes, the green is the output.  If the line level is too low, the volume will be too low.
        Have you tried external powered computer speakers?
        No volume in headphones either?
        Get it working without the stereo first.

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

There indeed isn't any volume through my headphones either. I tried my usual pair of computer speakers which work fine, but they also get a very low volume.
          The stereo isn't important indeed, I just wish I could ge some (clean) sound out of my pc...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          How long has this sound problem been occurring?
          Was the sound working prior to trying to connect the Pioneer stereo?
          Are you using the rear jacks on the computer?

Since you now have 2 sound sources, how do you know which one is really on?

truenorth

Guru

audioproblems, "Two days ago, I connected my self built desktop computer (I'll list specs below) to a Pioneer SA-530 amplifier" it was this statement that led me to believe (and i suspect CC as well) that the connection was FROM the amplifier TO the computer hence my observation above.If it is the reverse the suggestion is NOT relevant. truenorth
            P.S. Acknowledging ALL you have done i tend to believe the issue is hardware related. I am going to suggest another alternative to onboard or card type sound card.That is an external sound card (USB) .The connection then will be via a different route than the other 2 and might make a difference. here is a link to a multitude of those devices.They are relatively inexpensive.
            http://www.google.com/search?q=external+usb+sound+cards&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=seamonkey-a
            truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            This is all very strange.

I can understand why the stereo doesn't work.
            I can see no reason why the powered PC speakers or headphones don't work.

They must be a common element here besides the motherboard.  Maybe a bad sound cable, the one that connects to the computer, NOT this this one because the stereo won't work, even with the mini to RCA cable referenced.

It might be a combination of things, at this point.  Remove the PCI sound card & go back to the onboard sound.

Your goal is to return the computer to a state before this sound problem occurred. 

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

How long has this sound problem been occurring?
              Was the sound working prior to trying to connect the Pioneer stereo?
              Are you using the rear jacks on the computer?

Since you now have 2 sound sources, how do you know which one is really on?

Hi. The sound problem occurred when I connected the amp to my computer. I had played some vinyl records through a turntable with the same Pioneer amp, so I knew the volume was strangely low when I played audio through my computer. I switched back to my old speakerset, which I now need to turn all the way up along with the PC volume to hear something.

The sound was working perfectly before indeed.

I am using the rear jacks indeed, my PC doesn't have any front jacks.

At the moment, I'm using the Realtek onboard sound card. I removed the PCI sound card after someone on the chat here advised me to do so. The Realtek is also listed as standard device in device manager now.

audioproblems, "Two days ago, I connected my self built desktop computer (I'll list specs below) to a Pioneer SA-530 amplifier" it was this statement that led me to believe (and i suspect CC as well) that the connection was FROM the amplifier TO the computer hence my observation above.If it is the reverse the suggestion is NOT relevant. truenorth
              P.S. Acknowledging ALL you have done i tend to believe the issue is hardware related. I am going to suggest another alternative to onboard or card type sound card.That is an external sound card (USB) .The connection then will be via a different route than the other 2 and might make a difference. here is a link to a multitude of those devices.They are relatively inexpensive.
              http://www.google.com/search?q=external+usb+sound+cards&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=seamonkey-a
              truenorth

I'm sorry, that is indeed correct. I meant to say the other way around: I connected the amp to the speaker outlet of my desktop, so that I could use the superior speakers that are connected to it.

Thanks for the advice. I am indeed getting one of these USB cards the coming days; my nephew has a spare one. I really hope that fixes the issue.

This is all very strange.

I can understand why the stereo doesn't work.
              I can see no reason why the powered PC speakers or headphones don't work.

They must be a common element here besides the motherboard.  Maybe a bad sound cable, the one that connects to the computer, NOT this this one because the stereo won't work, even with the mini to RCA cable referenced.

It might be a combination of things, at this point.  Remove the PCI sound card & go back to the onboard sound.

Your goal is to return the computer to a state before this sound problem occurred.

Well, the stereo does work in fact. Using the very same cable I used to connect the stereo to my PC, I can listen to music on my iPod. So the AUX-channel on the stereo should be alright as far as I know.

What kind of cable could that be then? Inside the computer case?

At this time, I'm only using the Realtek onboard sound card. On advice from someone on the chat from this site, I removed the PCI card and switched back to the Realtek, which is now the only one showing up in device manager.
              The same person also adviced me to do a system restore after removing the card. I did that and restored to monday around noon, which is a few hours before I connected to stereo to my desktop, but that didn't help...

Could someone maybe clear this up for me:
              - if system restore to a state before it all happened does not work, does that rule out possible software problems?

- if adding a PCI soundcard does not work to avoid the problem of the "fault" on the motherboard, does that mean that something on the motherboard got damaged in a way that you can't bypass it by adding a PCI card, making it definitely a hardware problem?

Thanks for your help already guys, I really appreciate it. :)

JJ 3000

Egghead
              • Experience: Familiar
              Are you sure you're plugging the speakers into the right port? It's usually the lime green one.

Have you tried clearing CMOS?

if system restore to a state before it all happened does not work, does that rule out possible software problems?

It should. Let's make sure. Right click on your speaker icon and choose Adjust Audio Properties. Under device volume, make sure it's turned up then click advanced open the Master Volume window. Make sure all of your levels are turned up there and that none of them have a check next to mute. Back in the audio properties window, under speaker settings click on advanced. Under speaker setup make sure desktop stereo speakers are selected. Then click on the performance tab and choose restore defaults.

Does another user account have the same problem?

If you had a Linux live CD you could boot to it and test the sound. If the problem persists in another operating system, then it is indeed a hardware problem.

According to the box: LogiLink PCI Sound Card PC0027B The card is identical to the image provided on this site.
              According to device manager, after installing the card and the driver, I've got this sound card: C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device, meaning one of these.

It is a Logilink PC0027B. If you have a look at the link you posted, you will see that CMI8738 is listed next to chipset. That means that, on the sound card, the microchips Logilink used for the card are manufactured by Cmedia and CMI8738 identifies the exact microchips.
              Are you quite sure you download the correct driver from LogiLink?
              Here is a direct link if you need it:
              http://www.2direkt.de/i-sell2u/images/driver/PC0027B.zip

Save a Life!
              Adopt a homeless pet.
              http://www.petfinder.com/

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

Are you sure you're plugging the speakers into the right port? It's usually the lime green one.

Have you tried clearing CMOS?

Yeah, I'm definitely shure about that, both when I use the Realtek card and the PCI card.

What do you mean by CMOS?

It should. Let's make sure. Right click on your speaker icon and choose Adjust Audio Properties. Under device volume, make sure it's turned up then click advanced open the Master Volume window. Make sure all of your levels are turned up there and that none of them have a check next to mute. Back in the audio properties window, under speaker settings click on advanced. Under speaker setup make sure desktop stereo speakers are selected. Then click on the performance tab and choose restore defaults.

Does another user account have the same problem?

If you had a Linux live CD you could boot to it and test the sound. If the problem persists in another operating system, then it is indeed a hardware problem.

I did all of that before. All volumes are maxed, I tried switching from stereo desktop speakers to headphones and back.

This is my personal computer, no one else uses it.

I did get a link yesterday to download a Puppy Linux disc, which I will try later today (need to burn it to a disc first). I'll post back here when that is done.

It is a Logilink PC0027B. If you have a look at the link you posted, you will see that CMI8738 is listed next to chipset. That means that, on the sound card, the microchips Logilink used for the card are manufactured by Cmedia and CMI8738 identifies the exact microchips.
                Are you quite sure you download the correct driver from LogiLink?
                Here is a direct link if you need it:
                http://www.2direkt.de/i-sell2u/images/driver/PC0027B.zip

Aha, thanks for that, that's good to know.

Yes, that is the exact link I used to download the driver I found on the LogiLink site, didn't work.

I'll try the Linux CD later today, then I'll be sure about the software/hardware thing. Thanks already! :)

audioproblems

Topic Starter

Rookie

I just tried the Puppy Linux CD. I played some test sounds with it, and can sadly confirm that it's a hardware problem. Still a low volume, need to turn speakers/PC volume all the way up just to hear some overdriven noise.

So, apparently my motherboard is broken in a certain way that even a PCI soundcard can't fix? Or could it still be something else?

I'll wait until I have that USB sound card, that should be this weekend hopefully.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                  I had a computer with the onboard Realtek that exhibited a similar problem.  The Realtek software will override the Windows sound settings.  It will also autodetect if the sound cable is plugged in.  If I remember correctly, there's a mute setting checkbox.

Since you are having the same problem with the PCI sound card & the Linux CD, it must be hardware related.

This is the 1st computer I've heard of or worked on in 20 years where the sound cannot be fixed by an add-on card.  Connecting to Stereo Aux input would have no detrimental effect on anything.  Those stereo mini-jacks can be tempermental, if pushed in too far or not far enough, won't make proper contact.  I would start looking carefully at all the cables & connectors.  On my computer the problem was the mini-jack not making proper contact and I would get the low volume you describe.  Play around with the jack, pull it in & out just a bit while sound is playing & see if it makes any difference.  When you pull the plug, you should see the Realtek popup saying you unplugged it & go awasy when you plug it back in.

truenorth

Guru

While it would be wonderful if this turned out to be the problem "Those stereo mini-jacks can be tempermental," . I too can relate that exact same issue on one of my computers some time ago. truenorth