Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Another PM issue  (Read 2410 times)

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Another PM issue
« on: May 30, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »
I was about to post my message in this topic but after reading the following warning

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic

I've decided to post it here because my problem is slightly different.

It's related to a PM that I posted last May 26 14:27:52 UTC/GMT

Could you please tell me if SMF's software package we are currently using in this forum is (or can) be customized so as to let the sender know if his PM have been received and read by the addressee?

Thank you.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Another PM issue
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:14:23 AM »
If you understand the software at a programming level, yes you would be able to make such a modification.  I wouldn't recommend it personally - sounds like a big job.  I couldn't find a ready-built mod that does this, but why not ask over at the SMF forums?  I bet some of the guys over there will have some useful suggestions: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:31:35 AM »
Thank you very much Rob for your reply and search!

Sorry for misplacing the closing bracket in my last post. Where I wrote
is (or can) be customized I should have written is (or can be) customized.

Regarding your comment, unfortunately I'm much closer to the English language and IT illiteracy tier than to the understanding software at a programming level tier, so it seems I'll have to leave your suggestion for further on.

I have little experience in forums like Computer Hope and I'm only striving to make myself understand and to understand (without being accused of breaking the forum's rules) a comment that appeared in a topic I began at this web site last May 22nd.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »
Personally, I  would not be happy if, every time I read a PM sent to me, the sender automatically got a read receipt without me having any choice in the matter.  At least Microsoft Outlook lets me choose.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »
without being accused of breaking the forum's rules

It's not against the rules to reply to a thread that has been quiet for more than 30 days. The message is just a suggestion.

Vigaenson

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:19:23 AM »
Thank you very much Salmon Trout for reply #3. :) It's worth while remembering Microsoft Outlook's option.

Regarding reply #4, my fears about breaking the rules were not related with replying to a thread that had been quiet for more than 30 days.

They were and still are related with trying to understand moderator's comments that followed my post in a topic where I was trying to ask about relations between video cards and motherboards with integrated graphic processors and that (from my point of view) remained unanswered.