Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Which OS are you using?

Author Topic: Which OS are you using?  (Read 17278 times)

Whitebeard1

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Which OS are you using?
    « on: June 10, 2012, 08:05:52 PM »
    I just want to work out what most people are using. :)
    Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Which OS are you using?
    « Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
    Primarily, Windows 7. But I also have systems running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Fedora, and Ubuntu.

By the way, I've also flagged this to be moved to a more appropriate forum.

samjhon1188

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 07:06:25 AM »
      windows 7 all the was, windows 7 is the best windows Microsoft ever made

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 07:21:12 AM »
      Primarily Windows 7 but I also have systems running Windows XP and Windows Vista.  I do not currently have any Linux OS installed on any machine but have had Ubuntu in that past and will probably be installing 1 or more Linux OS soon, most likely as a virtual machine on my Windows 7 system, as I have previously done.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »
        Preferred is windows 7 however because i have XP on more computers the ones i use most often it is xp that i use the most. One computer is using ME (but shall soon be retired). Also have dual boots one with xp/Mint and another with XP/98.Have 2 Apple G4's with Tiger. If i had to be stranded on a deserted island with only one O/S i would prefer win. 7 truenorth

TheWaffle

Hopeful
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »
        windows 7 all the was, windows 7 is the best windows Microsoft ever made
        Has anyone tryed the windows 8 preview
        8 seems very promising

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 01:30:12 PM »
        Where are the options for Windows 2000, Android, Linux, and OpenSolaris, all of which I use?
        « Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:44:54 PM by Salmon Trout »

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
        Where are the options for Windows 2000, Android, Linux, and OpenSolaris, all of which I use?
        What about Windows Vista? I know it's one of Microsoft's larger mistakes, but some people actually use it.
        Where's MagicSpeed?
        Quote from: 'matt'
        He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 03:38:22 PM »
        What about Windows Vista? I know it's one of Microsoft's larger mistakes, but some people actually use it.
        IMO as far as Microsoft's list of mistakes goes, Vista doesn't make the list, certainly not for technical factors. We have Bob, MS Binder, probably Project, that was sorta weird; some might consider win32s to be a mistake, WinG was a dead-end, ME is better than 98SE in many ways, it's problems were mostly inherited from the 9x architecture and weren't unique to ME (except that stupid "no DOS Mode for u" stuff).

ST's post highlights the reasons why I hadn't replied. the Poll options are so limited as to be silly. It's like asking "What kind of pop/soda do you like, Pepsi or Coke?".

Well that and I'm in the middle of a debate between myself and a member on another forum about UX design; my stance being that all OS's have critical problems in the area of UX design; some have gotten worse, others have gotten better, but overall, they all suck, and trying to pretend otherwise for any OS is silly. Their argument is that all User Interfaces not designed by Apple suck, and they back this argument up by questioning my parentage, which was a odd way to debate. And when I noted that colour-coding caption buttons is pretty silly, since red yellow and green do not accurately portray close, restore, and maximize, and it is also culturally biassed since colours mean different things in different locale's. Their argument against that pretty much boiled down to "only the U.S matters" which was pretty much where I gave up on the poor fellow.

Since I'm here though better respond to the topic: I use Win7 on my desktop and Mint 13 on my laptop. Neither are set-up for dual boot; laptop used to be mint 10 and Win7 in dual boot until the drive failed and I installed Mint 12 on spare drive, which consequently failed a few weeks ago and I managed to salvage it and get Mint 13 on it. (It's a stopgap measure, I don't have anything important on the drive because it will fail soon enough).

My older laptop is running Windows98SE, I'll power that on every month or so just to make sure it hasn't died.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »
        IMO as far as Microsoft's list of mistakes goes, Vista doesn't make the list, certainly not for technical factors.

+1
        It's a fine OS that a lot of folks choose to blame for their own misuse, misunderstanding, or mistakes.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »
        +1
        It's a fine OS that a lot of folks choose to blame for their own misuse, misunderstanding, or mistakes.

Says it all...i probably only re-boot my Vista PC once a week...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 02:31:37 AM »
        Says it all...i probably only re-boot my Vista PC once a week...

My laptop runs Vista and I'm about the same, never crashes and never needs rebooted (unless installing something, but that's normal).

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 02:40:43 AM »
        My girlfriend's laptop has been running Vista for years without any problems. I suspect part of the explanation is that she doesn't monkey around - she just "uses" it.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
          • Me
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 03:56:06 AM »
        What about Windows Vista? I know it's one of Microsoft's larger mistakes

...and other ways to light BC's blue touch paper.

I use way too many OSes to list, but some notable exceptions from the poll:

ReactOS
        Haiku
        Any of the BSDs
        SCO Unix (yes, for heaven's sake, but my company has hundreds of SCO servers in its estate, so meh)
        CentOS
        Debian/GNU
        DOS (yeah, I also support hundreds of DOS-only systems, going all the way back to DOS 3)
        CP/M (okay, okay, I only put that one in for nostalgia's sake)
        AIX (we have a few VERY expensive AIX servers... that run software being migrated away from HP-UX)
        FreeDOS (DOSBox)
        Cisco IOS
        Blackberry OS

Etc.
        Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Salmon Trout

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 04:08:12 AM »
        CP/M (okay, okay, I only put that one in for nostalgia's sake)

I have still got an Amstrad PCW (an 8256) - the thing that ran off floppies that was marketed as a "word processor" but which could also be started in CP/M - in fact CP/M Plus (Version 3), no less. I bought it for my daughter in 1992 when she was a teenager and about 5 years ago I was helping her clear stuff from her loft and there it still was! It still worked (then) and it's now in my loft. I had upgraded it to use 3.5" floppies, and I still have a couple of sets so maybe I'll get it down and fire it up.