Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Which OS are you using?

Author Topic: Which OS are you using?  (Read 17323 times)

overthehill

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Which OS are you using?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 08:06:52 PM »
What about Windows Vista? I know it's one of Microsoft's larger mistakes, but some people actually use it.
Well the OS that I use the most is Vista. And, I never could really understand why all the criticism. When my XP went south a few years back and because I had the Vista upgrade disk, I decided to give it a whirl. I got the upgrade to install as a full OS and I couldn't be more pleased. As a matter of fact, I've loaded it to both drives on my system. I haven't had the need, but for a time I was using both Vista OS's ( just to keep them updated). Since then I've stuck to the one drive (which BTW also has Ubuntu loaded) and I couldn't be more satisfied with Vista. I have XP on my (older) laptop which is fine. But, if it were capable of running Vista, I would have it on there too. Vista has never given me a problem that I didn't cause myself. Like Allan said I most certainly agree, Vista +1.  overthehill

1957classic

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 10:52:03 PM »
    Windows 7  ;D

spollen27

Rookie
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »
    Has anyone tryed the windows 8 preview
    8 seems very promising

Ya its brilliant lads!! Takes a while to set up & get used to though!!!

TheWaffle

Hopeful
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 02:34:43 PM »
    Isn't. Vista just a prettier version of ms xp?
    Why is it a mistake?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »
    Isn't. Vista just a prettier version of ms xp?
    No. Vista has a completely reworked kernel architecture with improvements pretty much at every level. XP was more or less a prettified version of 2000 (which isn't to say they <didn't> make improvements, but nothing nearly as colossal as Vista did.

Why is it a mistake?
    The failure was more marketing than technical. Also, a lot of the changes that improved the OS also meant that low level internals worked differently. Turns out, however, that a lot of big name companies decide to use the undocumented internals and rely on a specific memory arrangement, so those programs break. The same thing happened with the switch to 9x->XP, since a lot of 9x APIs didn't have strong parameter checks. The preconditions were listed, but due to performance considerations they were assumed, which meant that in a lot of cases invalid arguments seemed to work fine. NT isn't as lax and would actually return an error and set the last error to something like ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER if, in fact, you try to pass an invalid parameter. This was actually a common thing for applications but was mostly mitigated with appcompat shims. I imagine that a good portion of the larger size of the install that people like to poke at for Vista could very well be attributed to appcompat shims for developers who assume that if it works on one version, it will work on all later versions. This is mostly true, but only if you follow the documented APIs. Once you start screwing around in the low level details (to the point of actually manipulating the undocumented Window structures used by the window manager, making assumptions about how memory is laid out, and so forth, all bets are off.

If you ask me, given the number of changes to the OS, I'm surprised there were as few problems as their were. the appcompat teams did pretty well to shim the more popular applications. It's a bit sad that MS has to do this patching, since it was the devs of the game or program that screwed up; but at that point, they already have their customers money so they don't care. But, if MS doesn't do that, people will upgrade, find their dinosaur shooter game no longer works, and blame the update, since it worked before.

I didn't see Vista's reception as being any worse (or better) than XPs. The cries of "I'll stick with XP forever" ring hollow when those same people were animate that they would use 98SE forever when XP was released. (or even back to saying the same thing about DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 on the release of Win95) The tech industry by and large sometimes appears to have the memory of a goldfish.

Even now I'm surprised how many programs work properly on Windows 7 x64 that are from the mid-late 1990's. Of course DOS or 16-bit programs don't work, but I've had a lot of success with other games. (especially after unregistering gameux.dll, which apparently stops games from loading when the machine has no net connection...). I don't recall any specific problems I personally had with Vista that were fixed with Windows 7. It has a lot of visual improvements and UI tweaks, but by and large it's a Vista relaunch, which let's people like Windows 7 and also hate Windows Vista without thinking too much about the hypocrisy of doing so.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

maxum

Beginner

• Try and fail...
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
    Didn't I already post this?
    The most ingenious creature in the whole wide world... The computer!!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »
    Didn't I already post this?

You are one of dozens.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 12:30:16 PM »
    Currently, I am using Windows 7.
    About a year ago, I finally succumbed to Micosofts superior software support after a year of using nothing but Linux (of which I have gone on and off with using Linux as my primary desktop OS, mostly Ubuntu and Fedora).
    For servers, I always use Ubuntu Server. I've been with Ubuntu for servers for a long time. I like how well documented it is for the tasks I do (mostly hosting two websites on one server, and an IRC network that I don't even use but I guess others are...)
    I nearly plopped in a Windows Server 2008 disc this last week because Ubuntu crashed due to the fact that I delayed on updating for such a long time. I am glad I didn't. The horror!

By the way, for those of you who have noticed that I am making a reappearance, I may be sticking around for a bit until August. I have the summer off and nothing else to do, and I feel like I should be maintaining my computer knowledge as I hope to work a part time computer repair/upkeep job while at university this next year. For the sake of mental health, it won't be too much involvement, but some.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »
    Which operating system am I using? Take your pick. I am using Windows 7 (desktop 1) Linux Mint 2 (desktop 2), XP SP3 (laptop), Android 4.0.3 (tablet), Android 2.2 (phone), and (a recent thing) FreeNAS 8 (based on FreeBSD) on an old Shuttle that I had lying around.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »
    I think the root cause of the gripes with Vista is that User Account Control is turned on, by default, whereas in Win7, it is turned off by default.
    http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »
    whereas in Win7, it is turned off by default.
    No, UAC is enabled- they just added a new operation mode so there would be fewer prompts.

Windows® 7 introduces two intermediate UAC settings for Protected administrators, in addition to the two from Windows Vista. The first is to notify users only when a program is making the change, so administrators are automatically elevated when they make a change themselves. This is the UAC default setting in Windows 7, and it also makes use of the secure desktop.
    Source is here

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 06:43:39 PM »
    No, UAC is enabled- they just added a new operation mode so there would be fewer prompts.
    Source is here
    I thought I might not have it quite right, but knew you would be here to correct it.  Thanks!
    It was a big change from WinXP.  Still, I think that's why many don't like Vista & decided to downgrade to XP, don't you think?

My User Account Control in Win7 is set to "Never Notify".  Don't remember if I set it that way or it came that way.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 10:36:18 PM »
    Still, I think that's why many don't like Vista & decided to downgrade to XP, don't you think?
    Possibly. Just another nail in the coffin, though. Especially since a lot of people were trying to run Vista on hardware that really wasn't capable, thanks to shady manufacturers. I think by the time Win7 came out, people had gotten somewhat accustomed to UAC, and since the Win7 implementation was less annoying, it was easier to be receptive. No disputing that the change- both of the default change and the ability to have four different settings for UAC rather than on or off- was definitely one of the best changes to Win7.

In comparison, Many Linux implementations of "Graphical Sudo" seem to ask for everything still.
    My User Account Control in Win7 is set to "Never Notify".  Don't remember if I set it that way or it came that way.
    I believe the default is one notch down from the top.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 02:32:38 AM »
    windows 7 all the was actually, windows 7 is the best windows Microsoft ever made

That gets said about every new version of Windows that gets put out (with the exception of Vista and Me).

Salmon Trout

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 02:46:23 AM »
    That gets said about every new version of Windows that gets put out (with the exception of Vista and Me).

He's a spammer for sleep machines (see the sig) who I already reported and now Allan will have to split the topic...