Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer doesn't boot right, constantly restarts  (Read 4328 times)

Konnoryuu

Computer doesn't boot right, constantly restarts
« on: September 25, 2005, 09:29:54 AM »
Okay, Yesterday my other computer totally froze up and I cut the power becuase I couldn't even move the cursor. When I booted it back up, It got past the system check and stuff, but didn't even get to the windows XP loading screen bfore it restarted. The computer is totally cooled down now and still does it. I was thinking of formatting the HDD, but It's a pre-built system (an old computer my mom and dad bought then broke, which I got to keep if I could get it running, they got it in '01) and I don't have a win. XP CD and can't find any of the recovery CDs. What do you think I should do? If I have to format my HDD that's fine, except I don't have a windows XP cd or anything like that. I have already tried to run it in safe mode and everything (ive tried every option after pressing f8). Any help is very much appreciated.

yourfateissealed

Re: Computer doesn't boot right, constantly restar
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 09:34:59 AM »
your power supply might be bad?    ???

yourfateissealed

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 09:35:25 AM »
how much RAM does the PC have?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 09:38:06 AM »

Installing and Using Recovery Console

Perform a Repair Installation

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

Virus scanners
AVG Free
-- Anti virus scanner
Trend Micro Housecall
-- Online anti virus scanner.

Anti spy/malware
Microsoft Antispyware
-- Anti spyware scanner. Windows XP Home and Professional only.
Spybot Search & Destroy
-- Anti spyware scanner
Adaware SE Personal
-- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
Use both a hardware and software firewall.
Be advised as dual software firewalls may cause problems

ZoneAlarm Free
-- Free firewall - more user friendly
Sygate Personal
-- Free firewall - more configuration options

Removal tools
The following files are not substitutes for the ones described above.
They are either diagnostic tools or removal tools for malware of a certain kind

HijackThis
-- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!
McAfee Stinger
-- Virus removal tool. No substitute for a fully functional virus scanner!
CWshredder
-- CoolWebSearch removal tool. Widely known and persistant Hijacker.

Konnoryuu

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 12:53:30 PM »
Power supply = Brand new
RAM = 256 mb

None of that other stuff works because I DO NOT HAVE A WINDOWS XP CD, BECAUSE MY COMPUTER HAD IT PRE-INSTALLED. Also, I CAN'T get into windows to install anything anyway, so anti-virus software doesn't help right now. AND I have Norton Anti-virus fully updated on that computer with a firewall. I even ran a virus scan the day before and everything was fine.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 02:25:22 PM »
You will have to locate the recovery CDs.

can't find any of the recovery CDs.

Or choose the last known good configuration.

Konnoryuu

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 04:08:07 PM »
That doesn't work...I also can't find the recovery CDs anywhere.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 04:10:42 PM »
The latter is not something we can correct.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 05:02:30 PM »
How about a Linux Live CD to see if performance is hardware or software related. If you like it you can install it free, or you can fork over another $100+ to Billy Gates. Seems like nothing to lose. What are the system specs?

Konnoryuu

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 02:40:26 PM »
Ok, I downloaded and burned a Live CD for SLAX KillBill version of linux. I was able to get into the rest of my hard drive and I still have all my files and stuff. What I need to know now is where I would start to look for problems, or better yet, how to possibly do a system restore type thing to before the computer broke. I anyone could help me in any way, It'd be appreciated.

PS: I like Linux, but I don't know if my games and programs and stuff would work on it. If I could get everything to install as if it were on windows and if it works right, I might just switch to Linux.

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 07:07:27 PM »
Well it is tough to run WIndows gamnes on Linux, allthough some can be done with the appropriate software (google for cedega for a good read). Some people don't "getr it", but it would dbe like running Apple products on WIndows - it doesn't work natively.
Butr you could set up a dual boot system and game on Windows and be safe on the internet while you learn about Linux.

Bravo for trying, and I'm glad your data is safe. You could hook up a second hard drive as slave and use the Linux to copy the files for safety and reinstallation later.

Bed sure and format the slave drive as FAT32, not NTFS, so Linux can write to it. Just drag and drop if you like.