Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Xp compabillity mode in Vista, help!  (Read 4872 times)

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

Xp compabillity mode in Vista, help!
    « on: August 02, 2012, 05:59:35 AM »
    Hi everyone!

So today I decided to try out my ( now quite old) keyboard from Zboard. However the keyboard itself is working fine just by using it, but in order to be able to use the additional hotkeys I need to run the installation disc for it. But when I run the installation disc i get an error saying that ''Zboard is currently compatiable with the following operation systems: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP. Installation will not proceed.

I know that in vista you are able to run other programs that are already installed on you pc by simply changing the compabillity mode under properties of the program.
    Now this option does not exist when loading from a CD, is there anyway to get around it and running the CD in XP mode?  ???

All response appreciated!  :)

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Xp compabillity mode in Vista, help!
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:09:25 AM »
    There's a difference between running a program in XP mode or trying to install a driver that isn't designed for the OS. You need to see if the keyboard manufacturer has an updated driver.

Zim0n

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:13:24 AM »
      The problem is they have no updated drivers, the cd is all i got... so there is no way around it? except installing XP?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »
      The solution is a new keyboard...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »
      good evening Zim0n

There maybe one thing you can try (Please make a restore point FIRST and have a good back up)

IF any of the software did install remove it (including short cuts, program list etc)
      Un-plug the keyboard
      ReBoot PC and then put the CD in the Drive (don't let it auto run) and close all dialog boxes if any are open.
      Then in your doc folder (where ever you want it) make a new folder and copy the whole contents of the CD in put it in that folder, then leave the CD in the drive. Then look for the (setup.exe etc) "right click it" and choose properties, then go to the compatibility tab and "pick run as XP" let it install. Then after the software installs you may have to set that short cut for "XP compatibility mode also. 

I don't know if this will work for this but I have done this for older CAD programs, older software etc

Please let us know if this worked for you. Don't forget "create a restore point and have a GOOD back up ;D

Mike
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:03 PM »
      There is an updated driver for the Zboard keyboard if you have the USB version. Steelseries bought out Ideazon years ago and now produces the drivers for it. However, if you have the even older PS/2 version, XP drivers are the best you can get.

If it happens that you have the PS/2 version, you get buy the Steelseries Shift keyboard ($89.99 retail) and your old keysets will still work with the new keyboard. If you don't want to spend so much on a new keyboard, you can also find a number of them on eBay for various prices. The keysets are cross-compatible with the original Ideazon PS/2 and USB keyboards, Steelseries Zboard USB, and Steelseries SHIFT (USB) keyboards.

The Steelseries USB and Zboard USB keyboards are identical except for the rebranding. The Shift version has a slight design change, but is still completely compatible as I said.

You can download updated drivers from Steelseries here:
      http://steelseries.com/support/downloads

Just scroll down, select the keyboard you have, then click the download link that will appear at the bottom.

(I know all this because I've had a Zboard for years. Some of the sensors stopped working, but I have many keysets. I'll be replacing it with a Shift board soon.)

Oh, I should add that if you have a PS/2 version, even if you get the driver to install, the keyboard will not work correctly. It must be the USB version if you're using anything after XP.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 10:07:07 PM »
      Oh, I should add that if you have a PS/2 version, even if you get the driver to install, the keyboard will not work correctly. It must be the USB version if you're using anything after XP.
      The OP  might try a PS/2 to USB adapter. Much less investment. About $5 or even less.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 10:16:29 PM »
      The OP  might try a PS/2 to USB adapter. Much less investment. About $5 or even less.

People have tried that. It won't work with the Zboard PS/2 keyboards. The keyboards require special software for full functionality and the PS/2 won't be recognized correctly on OSes later than XP, even if using an adapter. A problem Ideazon said they wouldn't try to fix and a headache Steelseries decided not to bother with since the PS/2 boards were no longer manufactered and scarcely available.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 10:39:18 PM »
      quaxo,
      Thanks for correcting me. Never hear of that, but I believe you. Sounds like you did the research.  :)

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 10:43:38 PM »
      quaxo,
      Thanks for correcting me. Never hear of that, but I believe you. Sounds like you did the research.  :)

I used to own a PS/2 one and had the same problem when moving from XP, that's why I had to get my USB one, which I eventually wore out. Now I've got about 10 keysets and nothing to use them on. Getting a Shift soon though. It's a great gaming keyboard.