Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: using dust blower on laptop vent  (Read 4424 times)

devastator

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    using dust blower on laptop vent
    « on: August 02, 2012, 06:34:17 AM »
    I have a large dust blower that I've been using on a desktop PC. I want to use it to blow air through the fan vents of my laptop (after turning it off) because I where I live right now, cannot find the compressed air that can fit in the vent holes and Im not confident about opening the laptop cover. Will that cause damage? If so, what kind? Please help. 

truenorth

Guru

Re: using dust blower on laptop vent
      « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
      This term " large dust blower" is far to vague to offer comment as to the viability of whatever it is you may be contemplating using for the dust removal. However there are certain things that should be considered when doing the process.Such as you should ensure that the fan(s) are immobilized as over revving them can cause failure.  If at all possible i would try to provide the ability for the dislodged dirt to exit the computer as otherwise you may just move it around. Just in case it is an option if computer store access is not available for the compressed air often they can also be found at automotive supply outlets or ordered online.truenorth

Ryuk

Adviser

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 07:50:02 AM »
        Im assumeing your blowing it out an not in.  Other wise, it will collect in there an cause, a potential fire

devastator

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:22:41 AM »
          Thanks.

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • My first self-built computer
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:43:16 AM »
          I agree with truenorth about "large dust blower" being far to vague. Along with the precautions already mentioned, on a low humidity day - if this is a non-grounded rotary type blower unit, it can create a static electrical charge when turning, which, if discharged to your grounded computer, can cause catostrophic damage to many of the computers internal components resulting in a worthless machine or an expensive repair.