Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Window DVD maker  (Read 3287 times)

Wyngs

Topic Starter

Beginner

Window DVD maker
    « on: August 22, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »
    I've had no problems burning DVDs to Sony's DVD RW-R discs, but the maker refuses to complete burning to DVD R. I get an error at about 90%.

I bought the latter the second time around figuring they would work, but they don't. Can anyone explain to me why not?

Thanks in advance.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Window DVD maker
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »
    Good evening Wyngs and welcome to CH

It is hard to say,

#1... The burner drive it self my be starting to fail.
    #2... There may be to many programs running in the back ground. Shut off nonessential software from msconfig
    #3... You could have ended up with a bad batch of disc's
    #4... Try using another program instead of windows DVD maker try like NERO etc. If it still fails than it may be a bad DVD drive
    #5... We don't know your PC spec's so maybe it is lacking in system resources.
    #6... If the DVD drive is quite a few years old because some older DVD drives didn't like minus (DVD RW-R or DVD-R) disc's

Please let us know if there is any other questions that you may have.
    Hopefully something here may help you,please let us know how you make out. Mike   
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Wyngs

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:48:17 PM »
      Thank you, Mike. Yes, I didn't include much data did I?

Windows 7, computer bought in January of this year.

I have NERO, but am totally unfamiliar with it. I didn't even know what it was for. Haha. However, will now dig it out and check it.

Thanks again.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »
      Hello again Wyngs

What version of nero do you have maybe I can find a walk through that may help you. But honestly nero is one of the easiest CD burning software. My self I like version 7 and version 7 I am not that crazy about.

Hope this helps you, Mike   
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 12:07:16 AM »
      What brand were the DVD-R? I have seen some generic brands (and even some brand name discs) that just wouldn't work with some drives. I had the same issue with a batch of Sony DVD-R discs and my Samsung drive. I ended up giving the rest to a friend and bought a stack of generic Princo ones and never had a problem with those.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 12:32:54 AM »
      #6... If the DVD drive is quite a few years old because some older DVD drives didn't like minus (DVD RW-R or DVD-R) disc's

The DVD-R standard came first in 1997. It was the later DVD+R disks of 2002 which confused older drives. Also applies to DVD-R(W) and DVD+R(W) rewriteables. For those 5 years the - character in DVD-R was just a dash; people called them "dee vee dee arrrs" in English (despite what Wikipedia says); when the newer format arrived, it was named +R and from then onwards people said minus or plus R.