Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: VPN on Win2000 PC  (Read 4399 times)

lemhof

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    VPN on Win2000 PC
    « on: October 02, 2005, 07:43:30 PM »
    Is there a way to configure and incoming VPN connection on a PC running Win2000?  I'd like to be able to access my elderly mother's computer to fix things when she gets confused/changes settings on her email.

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
      Re: VPN on Win2000 PC
      « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 06:28:26 AM »
      Yes. But be a little precise please.
      Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 11:49:53 AM »
      Look under Win2k Help, it's all there for you to read and follow:

To make a virtual private network (VPN) connection

Open Network and Dial-up Connections.
      Double-click Make New Connection, and then click Next.
      Click Connect to a private network through the Internet, and click Next.
      If you have already established a dial-up connection, do one of the following:
      If you need to establish a connection with your ISP or some other network before tunneling to your destination computer or network, click Automatically dial this initial connection, click a connection in the list, and then click Next.
      If you do not want to automatically dial an initial connection, click Do not dial the initial connection, and then click Next.
      Type the host name or IP address of the computer or network to which you are connecting, and then click Next.
      Do one of the following:
      If you want this connection to be made available to all users on your network, click For all users, and then click Next.
      If you want to reserve the connection for your own use, click Only for myself, and then click Next.
      If you want to let other computers access resources through this dial-up connection, select the Enable Internet connection sharing for this connection check box, and then click Next.
      Type a name for the connection, and then click Finish.

lemhof

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 01:33:38 PM »
        The above directions are for setting up an outgoing connection from a remote PC.  I haven't been able to find instructions on setting up an incoming (host) VPN service on a PC running Win2000.  I've only been able to find instructions for Win2000 Server.  Is it possible to set up incoming VPN service without the Server software?