Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: YouTube Throttling Buffer  (Read 3699 times)

Linux711

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
YouTube Throttling Buffer
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:43:39 PM »
There are many youtube video downloading programs and plugins. I really want to program one that downloads videos at the full speed provided by the ISP. If you load a youtube video, you will notice that it will start downloading/buffering really fast and then begin to slow once it gets a certain percent buffered. I've never found a video downloader that circumvents this, so I was thinking of making one. There is one site, youtubemp3pro, that converts youtube videos to mp3s and it somehow is able to do this. The only problem is that that site is only used for mp3s and often has other issues. I know that if I keep clicking ahead in the video, I can force it to finish buffering much faster. How is flash player telling the server to do this? Would it be possible to make a flash program to do this? Can anyone help me figure out how this can be accomplished? Does that site have a partnership with youtube or something?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I am REALLY interested in making this happen because there is a real demand for this type of program now.

EDIT: I know there are a few download accelerators, but none of them seemed to work for me.
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: YouTube Throttling Buffer
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:14:35 AM »
There is one site, youtubemp3pro, that converts youtube videos to mp3s and it somehow is able to do this.

Unless these videos are free for all, uncopyright, etc, this is illegal and I wouldnt do it. Taking full albums or even single music videos and making a MP3 collection out of them for free is no different than stealing MP3's thru a torrent.

Most the videos on youtube are free for listening/viewing only because advertising pays for them, and others are promo's to get you to buy the CD's or buy the music digitally. As long as its streamed with the painful 30 sec commercials its free for listening/viewing. Once downloaded if its copyright, its illegal because you are now in posession of something you didnt buy to pay royalties on as well as severed the revenue that the identity would get for each time its played and commercial pops up that pays them for number of viewings.

To answer your question, many ISP's throttle your bandwidth depending on the source and so there might not be a way to avoid the slow down that you are having. Such as i had an FTP server and was getting throttled badly. I used this for sending large files between work and home on projects I was working on. I then switched to port 8077 after reading some information on some ISP's blocking or throttling FTP ports and no longer was throttled by my ISP when I used an alternate port. I doubt that you'd be able to use an alternate port to bypass the throttling in this case though.