Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pc wont come open and make a clicking noise  (Read 2723 times)

JL2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

Pc wont come open and make a clicking noise
    « on: January 16, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »
    Hi,

I have a dell desktop that I got about a year ago. Today I tried to turn the PC on and was not able to. Nothing happens when I push the power button and the PC makes a clicking noise. I opened the front over. The clicking noise is coming from the power supply.  Is the power supply dead?

Razor

Beginner

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Pc wont come open and make a clicking noise
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 12:56:26 AM »
    The question you should be asking is how do you test if the power supply is dead as you cannot get a definitive answer without the tests.

There are two things I'd do

1) Take out the power supply and try it in another computer if you have one. If it powers up the other computer it may not be the problem.

2) Put in a power supply you know is good into your faulty PC and see if it powers up. If it doesn't, and the old power supply powers up another computer it is a good indication that something else may be wrong. If it does power up with another power supply then the old power supply is most likely the problem and should be replaced.

(Disclaimer I am not a computer professional. My suggestions should not be construed as such)
    A lesson with power: "I moved the red psu switch from 240v to 110v then it went poof!"

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • My first self-built computer
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Pc wont come open and make a clicking noise
    « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 02:12:26 AM »
    (Disclaimer I am not a computer professional. My suggestions should not be construed as such)

Thanks Razor. That statement also applies to me and with my limited knowledge I rarely am able to provide much help on this board. But I'll throw my 2 cents in order to try to help until a more experienced member chimes in.

So:
     JL2008, it would be more helpful if you would post more information about your Dell machine, such as model #.
    Your information, " that I got about a year ago", could be referring to a machine that is 'a year' old, or either an older model that you 'got' a year ago.
     Do you have an alternate power supply you can substitute (as Razor suggested)?
     If not -  do you have, or have access to a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter)?
     If so I can direct you to a troubleshooting procedure to test your power supply in your Dell.
     Also, is there a disc in your optical (CD/DVD ect) drive (s)?