Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my windows XP has two network connection icons shown on Task Panel.  (Read 4524 times)

kwfine

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Hi all,

Recenly I upgraded my old PC running windows SP2 to SP3, and then I found that
    there were two network connection icons shown on Task Panel. (please see the picture below)

When I moved the mouse over the left network connection icon,
    it showed me the ISP with network connection speed: 1.0Gbps.
    But the other network connection icon showed me the network connection speed: 10Mbps.

I am thinking why there are two network connection icons shown on the Task Panel,
    and which of them is the actual network connection speed for my computer.

Please help if you could
    Thank you.
    Kitty

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: my windows XP has two network connection icons shown on Task Panel.
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:56:48 PM »
    If you want them gone its a simple checkbox under Network Adapter Properties:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel - > Network Connections -> Right-Click on one of the adapters and select properties -> Uncheck the "Show icon in notification area when connected".

Repeat for other adapter that you dont want to have displayed.

Never seen a SP3 service pack update from SP2 do this.

If you want to find out which one is which you can disable one of them at a time and watch for your internet connection dropping out. Or you can use IPCONFIG/ALL under command shell and get the properties of these network adapters with IP addresses etc. If this is a laptop, you might be looking at wired connection and a wireless connection. Wired being the 1Gbps connection and wireless being the 10mbps connection.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: my windows XP has two network connection icons shown on Task Panel.
    « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »
    The other connection must be the 1394 Adapter as you can disable this by Network connections and right-click the 1394 adapter.