Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't open computer case..need help  (Read 7559 times)

puffnstuff

Can't open computer case..need help
« on: October 07, 2005, 05:53:35 AM »
I am trying to take the case off or open it on a Compaq Presario 5004 to check the cable on the CD_Rom.  I followed the directions to open the side by taking the screws out but there is no way I can get it off.  I have opened many computers but this one just is impossible.  

Raptor

Re: Can't open computer case..need help
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 09:18:17 AM »
Try using a screwdriver as leverage.

Some cases are just stuck. I once broke a screwdriver on a computer case. (Hewlett Packard Club 2460..)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 12:28:42 PM »
Some panels are on rails...try sliding it towards the rear of the unit.

patio. 8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

puffnstuff

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 03:21:11 PM »
  Well, I appreciate both of the above answers but I had already tried both of those beforehand.
The part about the broken screwdriver gave me an idea.   I thought that I might destroy the case earlier but then I went and got a few more screwdrivers, a rubber mallet and a small crowbar.  I finally got 3 sides up (bent it quite a bit)  and realized that something was making the other side stick.  Since I could then use a flashlight, I could see that there was another thingy that you could push across and that released a little bar that was holding it.
Now why couldn't Compaq put that in their directions or on their website??  I really feel stupid now...I spent hours trying to open it.  Thanks for the help and I will be back!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 03:31:35 PM »
    puffnstuff....LOL .....There is probably a release latch on the rear of the case .....push it to the side and it should release ....the cover . Some cases are made that way .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 06:08:46 PM »
    ...Now why couldn't Compaq put that in their directions or on their website??  I really feel stupid now...I spent hours trying to open it....

Don't feel bad, I had the same one (5006) and it took me hours to figure it out, too.  One of the reasons Compaq went out of business.  BTW, did you find the CD storage door on the front?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 09:38:46 PM »
    Compaq never intended for their customers to be inside the machine for fear of what they might find.

patio.  8)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 02:41:13 PM »
    Why did you have to check the cable?

puffnstuff

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 08:07:12 PM »
    Someone gave this computer to my sister and it was all screwed up.  It had a dvd drive that didn't work and after I opened the case  up, I re-connected it.  But it has more problems than that.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 09:15:33 PM »
    We're up for a challenge. Let's get it fixed. Post details of the system and problems.

puffnstuff

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 11:57:44 PM »
    Gee if you are that good you can help me with my laptop...I really miss it!
    This computer though, I think that I erased everything by putting in the Recovery CD.  I took the option to restore it to the factory settings.  Now I can't even get it to boot up with an emergency disk.
    I am using my moniter from my older computer when working on this one so I have it disconected right now so my Grandson can use mine.  (I keep switching it back and forth)
    In the morning, I will reconnect it and go to the bios and tell you exactly what it says.  Right now I can only tell you that it is a Compaq Presario 5004US that came with Windows ME installed on it.  
    The former owner upgraded it to the XP.  I don't have any disks with it other than the drivers and the recovery CD.I do have a copy of the XP upgrade that she did.  I tried it first and it wouldn't do anything.  I did do a check disk on it and defrag and also ran a Virus scanner on it to make sure there wasn't a virus.
    I can get into the BIOS and change the boot order, etc but when it boots back up, I get  
    Error: Non-systemDisk or Disk Error  Says to remove it and press any key.  I didn't have any other disks in so I keep hitting any key over and over and the same error keeps coming up.  When I go back to the BIOS, non of my choices were saven and I did press the f10 key and followed all  the instructions that I got from the Compaq site.  
    Yesterday when I used the Recovery CD,  it went through all the mumbo jumbo about removing all the info, etc and I said yes to go ahead with it.  It stops and I get a blue screen with the words at the top that says Quick Restore Error #102.9  at the top and  in the center of the screen "Please contac Compaq Service or your dealer."    I click OK and then those words go away and this comes up  Working...   with the three dots but it never goes any further.
    After a couple of hours, I just shut it off.
    I do have the OEM disks to install Xp.  Would I be able to use these.  I'm pretty sure that the windows ME is stored on the hard drive.  My other computers are either HP or Compaq and that is how they are.   I also have the Windows 98SE OEM disks but unfortunately I don't have the ME disks.  
    Let me know what all infor you will need. If you can help with this you must be a genius!

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 12:06:18 AM »
    If ME is on the hard drive but XP has been installed, I don't think you will get it back that way. If they formatted the drive when they upgraded, it is gone anyway. Sometimes Compaq puts in a "hidden" partition to store stuff for their automatic reinstall. You would have to be able to boot the machine to fdisk with a boot floppy (or the WinXP CD) to see what partitions are present.

"Error: Non-systemDisk or Disk Error" means the HD may not be able to be recognized for some reason, assuming there was not a generic floppy left in the drive.

So when you get in the bios, you need to see if a hard drive is found, and the size. If you have a Win98SE boot disk (free at www.bootdisk.com) you can try booting from that and then type in fdisk and display drive information (option 4) and post back all of the gory details.

Is there any data on that machine you need to get off?

:o :o :o :o

puffnstuff

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2005, 12:45:39 AM »
    I do have the  a Win98SE boot disk  and it did work before but now it won't.  I also had an option from the Recovery CD to make an emergecy disk but it won't boot it up either.  
    The hard drive is recognized in the Bios but the DVD wasn't until I connected it.  I did write down that the hard drive is Maxtor 96147H6.
    There isn't anything that I need to get off of the computer as it wasn't mine and my sister doesn't care either.  I do have the COA for the windows that came installed on it.  Will that help?

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 01:00:29 AM »
    In the BIOS set it to boot from the CD first, floppy second and hard drive third, if possible. If virus checking is an option in the BIOS, disable it. Download a NEW bootdisk as instructed and run fdisk and delete the primary partition. Then create a new partition and set it active. Then format the drive by booting from the floppy and type in

format c:/u

Try the recovery CD again. If that doesn't work, then we will have to install Windows from scratch. How much RAM on that machine? It should say when it boots or in the BIOS screen.

puffnstuff

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 02:19:32 PM »
    I had the following all printed up before I saw your previous post so I will follow those instructions after this post.
    This is what it has in the BIOS for system information:
    PRODUCT NAME          COMPAQ PC
    PROCESSOR TYPE          AMD Athlon
    PROCESSOR SPEED        1100/100MHz
    MEMORY SIZE                 128 MB
    SYSTEM ROM DATE        11/21/00
    SYSTEM ROM FAMILY     786K1
    CHASSIS SERIAL  #          3DOCJCC2V046
    PRIMARY DRIVE 0             58625MB                 Maxtor  96147H6

secondary drive  0                 *CD-ROM        COMPAQ DVD-ROM         DV-5700B

SECONDARY DRIVE 1      *CD-ROM       CDD4801  CDD4801       CD-ROM R/RW

I now have it doing the IDE DB SELF TEST whick takes about 45 minutes.
    As you can see, it doesn't have that much memory.  If it takes the same kind as my one computer, I have another 128 mb here.

Let me know if you need any other info from the BIOS before I shut it dowm.  I did see that there is a BIOS update and I already have it on a floppy.