Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel 2010, determine the contents of a Sheet tab to use in a formula.  (Read 3623 times)

12knowmore

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I am using Excel 2010 in Windows 7. Is there a way to determine the name of the current sheet as it appears on the tab from a function? For instance, if I have a sheet named "Month 2", I want to use that 2 in the "=Month()" function to indicate that it is February. I am designing a Workbook for users for an entire year, 13 Sheets. The 1st sheet is a cover sheet Containing among other stuff the active year. The remainder 12 sheets contains the 12 months. I don't want user interaction to fill the month on each sheet. Is this possible? I know the other option is to put a formula that will differ from sheet to sheet. Still, it will be great if there is such a function. I have gone through all existing functions, and if it is there I've missed it.

PS. There might be a way in VB, but I don't want to use macros.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Excel 2010, determine the contents of a Sheet tab to use in a formula.
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »
    PS. There might be a way in VB, but I don't want to use macros.
    Then, I believe your objective is not possible. 

Basically, you want to automate the naming of sheets.  I believe developing a macro is the only way to do this.  Functions alone can not do this.

12knowmore

Topic Starter

Re: Excel 2010, determine the contents of a Sheet tab to use in a formula.
      « Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 12:05:20 PM »
      Thank you for your response Soybean. Sorry for an unclear explanation. However my objective is possible. I found the solution by using:
      =CELL("filename",D1) as a small part of a bigger formula.
      The sheets are already named "Month 1" to "Month 12", I extract the "1" for January, the "2" of "Month 2" for February, and so on.