Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 26 Thermal Compounds tested - Saw this on my FB this morning  (Read 8194 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
26 Thermal Compounds tested - Saw this on my FB this morning
« on: April 03, 2013, 01:07:46 AM »
Interesting Test Results for Thermal Compounds.  I have always used Arctic Silver, but I guess there are better ones as the data at this site indicates. I use to use the cheapy white silicone thermal paste which I think is aluminum oxide as the cheap way out, but found out that this cheap white paste would dry up and become chalky and then the CPU temp would climb. I lost a Pentium III UT99 server due to the white stuff drying up 5 years ago, blistering the CPU socket 370 green wafer. I have yet to see arctic silver fail like the cheap white paste.

http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71658

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: 26 Thermal Compounds tested - Saw this on my FB this morning
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 01:35:34 AM »
They don't mention toothpaste...
Geek is gonna have a fit.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 08:41:55 AM »
My toothpaste is 70% aluminum nitride, so I predict it would work fairly well...

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »
They don't mention toothpaste...
Geek is gonna have a fit.

Funny that you stated this as for on the facebook comment chain someone had a URL to colgate linked ...LOL  ;D

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »
It's a history that happened here before you came on board...
Glad you got a chuckle at least...

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »
After reading this article, I ordered Noctua NT-H1.

After applying it to my i7 920, temperatures have dropped from 75 to 64, and 45 to 38.

Looks like my original $2 thermal paste was pretty terrible.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:23:53 PM »
Cool to see that Noctua NT-H1 worked out much better. What type/brand were you using before this? 

At $2 I am almost thinking it was the cheap white stuff that I avoid like the plague, however maybe you got a good deal on a better type.

11 degrees reduction on the heavy use and 7 degrees on idle is pretty good!

At some point if I ever overclock my 2.6Ghz Athlon II x4 620 to 3.2Ghz, I might have to get a better compound. I already know that the 65w heatsink that I am using even though is fine with my existing 95w CPU would likely have to be upgraded, and possibly liquid cooled at 3.2 Ghz to keep the temp at less than 70C.

Current temps are very cool at idle with cpu idle at 780mhz around 35C with speed stepping "Cool n' Quiet" enabled, and then when running a game such as Driver San Francisco which pegs it at constant 2600mhz and 60 -> 75% CPU utilization it stays at around 54C. If it were 60C, I'd probably upgrade the heatsink to try to get it back into the low 50's.

Background room temp also directly impacts cooling and so this summer when its 100F outside and around 80F to 85F indoors, that will be a good test for my setup. Although when its too nice outside to be indoors, my computer is off anyways vs sweltering in the stuffy warm house.

* A few years ago when i was overclocking my Pentium D 3Ghz, I almost got a free small office cube refrigerator that worked ( but my wife said otherwise ). I was going to drill 2 holes into the front door and add barbed fittings and have a coil of rubber tubing inside the fridge, plus still have the door functional for sticking drinks inside to keep cool under my desk, and have clear rubber tubing from the door of the fridge to my computers CPU and liquid cooling pump. Had I done this, that probably would have been a very cool running CPU. At some point I may still want to do this, but right now I am not overclocking and temps are fine, although it would be nice to have chilled drinks within reach of computer when gaming!  ;D

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 01:57:26 PM »
Build a computer inside a fridge? Why not? :P

Cool to see that Noctua NT-H1 worked out much better. What type/brand were you using before this? 
At $2 I am almost thinking it was the cheap white stuff that I avoid like the plague, however maybe you got a good deal on a better type.
It was whatever was cheapest at Fry's Electronics.
It looked something like this:
http://www.frys.com/product/4764099;jsessionid=u0qze8DDB8UUQMuTuHHtAg__.node1?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I don't know what I was thinking. If spent $400 on parts, why did I not buy a decent thermal compound?

Oh well, now I know.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
My computer is doing fine on toothpaste.
Meanwhile, I has lost three teeth.  :'(
Watch if you dare,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iRf440Zaq4

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 02:17:33 PM »
Somehow i knew this would happen......

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 04:30:39 PM »
It's a history that happened here before you came on board...

But he joined two years before Geek-9pm...  I hate temporal mechanics!  ;D
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 05:14:16 PM »
Build a computer inside a fridge? Why not?

Well... That thought did cross my mind once, but humidity and electronics dont work out well together. From the ice build up on the small freezer compartment at the top right of the small cube fridge I thought it would be best to just drill 2 holes in the front door and affix barb fittings, then have a loop of rubber hose resting in the freezer compartment for the liquid to flow into and out of. The computer would be on the desktop with 2 rubber hoses leading out the backside of it to the fridge. But never got to try this out yet... maybe someday.  ;D

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
Well... That thought did cross my mind once, but humidity and electronics dont work out well together. From the ice build up on the small freezer compartment at the top right of the small cube fridge I thought it would be best to just drill 2 holes in the front door and affix barb fittings, then have a loop of rubber hose resting in the freezer compartment for the liquid to flow into and out of. The computer would be on the desktop with 2 rubber hoses leading out the backside of it to the fridge. But never got to try this out yet... maybe someday.  ;D
Ah gotcha!

Probably not rubber though. You'd have a better chance with metal or glass pipes.

Unless you mean liquid out into the ice tray and back into the pipe... In which case, that would work :P

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 06:53:24 AM »
But he joined two years before Geek-9pm...  I hate temporal mechanics!  ;D

This i found very suprising.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 05:57:07 PM »
Unless you mean liquid out into the ice tray and back into the pipe... In which case, that would work

Yup, thats what I meant  ;D, and yes a coil of copper tube in the ice tray compartment would work better than a coil of rubber tube which is not as well of a thermal conductor to chill it.

Someday I have a feeling I will do this... the temptation is there, a cheap or free working cube type office fridge just needs to become available again, and me not to brag to my wife before hand like a mad scientist as to my plans.  ;)   LOL

She really liked when I decided to build a wall in the large office to isolate my stuff from hers. She was complaining that my stuff kept creaping over to her side of the room. She went to work that day for a 12 hr day and it was my day off and I took the excess 2x4's I had from another project and had the wall framed at the exact midway in the 16 ft long by 8 ft wide office so I had a nice 8 x 8 area. .... well she   :o  freaked out and the wall had to come down...LOL

But he joined two years before Geek-9pm...  I hate temporal mechanics! 

This i found very suprising.

I too thought that Geek-9pm came before me at CH, just looked and saw otherwise.  ;D