Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SDD vs. Ram  (Read 4642 times)

whitfi51

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    SDD vs. Ram
    « on: April 12, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »
    So I'm currently buying a new ultrabook and have finally decided on one. However, I found two slightly different versions with a $20 difference. One has a 4 GB RAM with a 24 GB SSD and the other had a 6 GB RAM. What difference will these two options have if everything else is entirely identical in them (500 GB Hardrive, Intel Core i5 3317U 1.7 GHz Processor, etc.)

The links to the two computers are below.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F1JL5A/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus---Ultrabook-14%22-Touch-Screen-Laptop---6GB-Memory---500GB-Hard-Drive---Black/Silver/7683137.p?skuId=7683137&sellerId=15329835&id=1218858193075#tab=accessories

Thank you!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: SDD vs. Ram
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 09:36:20 PM »
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

Let's look at the RAM first.
    RAM, Random Access Memory, is used for multitasking. More RAM = more background applications.
    Personally, I would go for 6GB RAM. The more the merrier. However, the computer will still work great with only 4GB. Windows 8 only requires 2GB of RAM.

Now the storage medium is where it gets interesting.
    The cheaper option just has a 500GB hard drive. You can't go wrong there. 500GB of solid disk space.

The more expensive option has a 500GB HDD + 24GB SSD. This is known as a Hybrid Drive - essentially merging HDD and SSD technology.
    HDD = Hard Disk Drive, and SSD = Solid State Drive - much like USB flash memory sticks.
    This Hybrid drive actively monitors your data and automatically puts your most frequently accessed data onto the SSD for faster loading times.
    SSDs read and write much faster than HDDs. By placing, for example, your operating system on the SSD portion of the drive, you can load the Windows faster than if you were loading it from the Hard Disk.
    Your larger files, such as movies or music, would be placed on the HDD portion of the drive.

I know I said I would go for the 6GB RAM option, but you can always add more RAM. It will be considerably more expensive to buy a new Hybrid Drive.

If you can spare the extra change, the Amazon one would be a better buy.

If you are ever unhappy with the RAM, ~$40 would get you an additional 4GB.
    « Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:24:54 PM by Carbon Dudeoxide »

whitfi51

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »
      So from what you just told me in sounds like if I do more multi-tasking (i.e. multiple powerpoints, word documents, and internet pages open) the 6GB version would be better. However, if I prefer faster bootup I should go with the version including the SDD.

And this is presuming I do not upgrade the RAM on the smaller one.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 10:54:03 PM »
      4GB of RAM is plenty for the average user.
      The only situation that would require more RAM would be for video gaming.
      PowerPoints, Youtube, Netflix, Itunes - all open at the same time - wouldn't come close to fulfilling your 4GB quota.

However, if I prefer faster bootup I should go with the version including the SDD.
      Essentially yes. Reading documents would be faster too, but we have all lived with standard Hard Drives for years with no problem.
      In my opinion, Hybrid Drives are, like 3D, a gimmick. I'm sure, however, that it would be nice to have once you use it.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »
      This is a good article that covers the basics of Hybrid Drives:
      http://www.ehow.com/info_7837298_advantages-hybrid-drive-system.html

Here's one for RAM:
      http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-ram-do-i-need-early-2013-edition-7000011139/
      (I'd skip to 3-4GB and 6-8GB section)

Accessless

Adviser
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      Re: SDD vs. RAM
      « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »
      ...SSDs read much faster than HDDs, but HDDs write much faster than SSDs...

This is a good article that covers the basics of Hybrid Drives:
      http://www.ehow.com/info_7837298_advantages-hybrid-drive-system.html

Not correct SSD's also write faster than HDD's. Your artical also states this:

Quote from: Artical link
      Fast Data Access

Reading and writing data to flash memory is much faster than to a hard disk. When retrieving documents or loading programs, the hybrid drive has the user up and running much faster than a standard hard disk drive. The hybrid has the storage capacity of a standard drive with the quick loading speed of a solid-state technology, which is perhaps its biggest advantage."

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:24:18 PM »
      Thanks for the correction! I guess it's changed a lot in the last four years.

Updated post.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 04:14:22 PM »
      I see little advantage to a 5400 rpm hybrid drive when a 7200 rpm notebook drive has the same performance for less money.  The hybrid uses the SSD as a cache, not for storage.

The Western Digital Scorpio Black seems to have the best performance.  I have one in my notebook & it's really fast & also silent.

Pretty good summary here:
      http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025402/ssds-vs-hard-drives-vs-hybrids-which-storage-tech-is-right-for-you-.html