Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Packard Bell Imedia S3720 graphics card upgrade  (Read 26103 times)

Insanemuch

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Packard Bell Imedia S3720 graphics card upgrade
    « on: April 27, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »
    Hello all!
    So I have the Packard Bell Imedia S3720 pc, and it's not the best computer in the world for gaming, due to the crappy graphics card. However, the ram and the processor are fine. I want to upgrade the graphics card, but I've been told that I need a low profile, or something like that. Comparing the specs of low profile graphic cards to the games I want to play, well let's just say I've found about 50 and none of them are compatible. Also, is there a possibility that I'll buy a graphics card that's low profile, and my computer won't have the correct PSU?

Thanks.
                              ~ Jake

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Packard Bell Imedia S3720 graphics card upgrade
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
    Any high end video card is likely going to need more PSU wattage than what is already in this case. Does your PSU specify the wattage so you will know if its just a 280watt supply or a 400watt supply etc? Also looking at pictures online, I havent found any internal pictures of this minitower, but you may be able to install a full-height video card into it unless they have some sort of riser card setup that forces you to a low profile card. Simple measuring can verify if the card will fit before buying and installing. You can do this by cutting a piece of cardboard to the same dimensions of that of the card you want to buy and install and then open the computer and place the piece of cardboard in where the videocard would go ( without stuffing it into the PCIe slot  ;D ). This will point out quickly if anything would conflict with the video card installation such as ( components on the motherboard such as tall capacitors, chokes (inductors), heatsinks, connectors, cables such as SATA ports, CMOS battery connector upright vs flush with board, may conflict with the installation of the card you want to install.

Basically if the cardboard test passes with no issues, it should install with no surprises. The only catch then is if your Power Supply can hold up to the increased wattage load of a heavy duty video card. And if its not high enough wattage to run it without overheating it would have to be replaced.

But... your options for getting this converted into a serious gaming rig is not over yet if you have conflicts of video card fitting or a larger power supply not fitting. There is a cheap solution, which is to buy an inexpensive computer case ( some come with 500 watt power supplies ), which can be populated with your motherboard, and drives, new PSU and video card, and you now have a self built gaming rig for all of your gaming desires. This is the easiest solution if you have clearance issues. *If your system has a riser card though as mentioned earlier, you will want to make sure that its a normal motherboard with the riser attachment, so that the riser can be removed and thrown away and this motherboard can run without it in the new computer tower.

Another advantage of using a new case is that the Packard Bell designed case might not have adequate airflow to handle the increased heat created by a high end video card, so you might find that you have to run the system with the side panel off or it turns into a toaster oven inside.

I had issues a long long time ago with a Packard Bell running a (crippled by design) Cyrix 133Mhz CPU ( one of the worst CPU's I have ever experienced the pain of supporting ) which the customers computer was to be a gaming rig for their teenager (around Christmas 1997), and the parent asked if I could convert/upgrade this low cost computer that they got a great deal on from Circuit City into a gaming rig for Quake II etc and I had to plainly state that this computer will never be a gaming rig with that motherboard with that CPU. And its way too proprietary to try to fit a universal  AT motherboard into. I suggested that they return it for a refund and buy a system with an Intel Pentium II 233 Mhz CPU, which would be able to run Quake II as well as other high end games out of the box without any upgrades, since its likely paired up with a decent video card or integrated GPU with plenty of RAM. With bare minimum being a Pentium 166Mhz even though Quake II can run on a Pentium 90. They bought it on clearance and were not able to return it. They asked if I knew of anyone who would buy it at 75% the cost they bought it at, and I stated that I wouldnt want my reputation tarnished by selling that inadequate computer to anyone. I suggested they list it in the newspaper for sale and try to get someone to bite at it for 75% their cost OBO. I think they unloaded it for a $400 loss to someone who didnt game. The good thing is that your CPU is a good one for games, so your not in the same situation BY FAR !!!  ;D

Your Core 2 Quad 2.5Ghz CPU scores a good score of 3066 at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Quad+Q8300+%40+2.50GHz and CPUs that score just 1500 -> 2000 would likely run the games you want to run paired up with a better video card.

Insanemuch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 01:52:50 AM »
      Dave, you are a Legend, give yourself a pat on the back. Although, I kind of lied. At the moment, I'm using a crappy little acer laptop, and my dad says I can have the family Packard Bell Imedia s3720 if I can find a graphics card, that will run all the games and I can afford it and I can replace it myself. So I showed him this, and said so can I do it, and he said I'm not allowed to change the psu as I could fry the computer if I did something wrong. Off the top of your head, do you know any graphics card that run well with a 250w psu? If so, thank you very much. If not, I'll just get saving for a new computer. Thanks again!

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »
      Only videocards that I have had run with a 250watt supply are too low end to support most modern games  :-\

If you had 300 watts, you would be better off for possibly a low end AMD Radeon HD3000 etc.

The only video cards that I have gotten to work on 250watt PSU without issues were much older cards such as:

GeForce 2 PCI
      GeForce 4 MX 440 PCI
      GeForce FX 5200 8x AGP

Your integrated graphics would probably benchmark somewhere around the GeForce 2 or GeForce 4 in GPU processing power if its the Intel Integrated. If its the GeForce 6150 SE etc, it will be a little better but still not powerful enough for the games that most of us want to play.

I made the switch from nVidia to AMD right right around my purchase of a GeForce 9800GT, due to cost/performance ratio was in favor of some of the newer 5 and 6 series AMD Radeon HD video cards. I have a ASUS AMD ATI Radeon HD5450 with 1GB DDR3 and its a sweet $30 video card, but I wouldnt run it on any lesser than 400 watts, and I am currently running it on 460watts for PSU.

*Regarding the concern that this computer would burn up if you install a larger PSU. Power Supplies are rugged devices by design and having too high of wattage rating will NOT smoke your motherboard. The more watts, are the more the power supply is able to deal with a heavier load. The voltages are the same tolerances. So if you can find a PSU that would fit your case that is 450watts or better, then you will be better off. Personally I'd just buy a $30 case with a 450+ watt PSU included and move the motherboard, drives etc over to it and get a full height video card. Trying to find a good gaming video card that is low profile is going to require some searching. Generally gamers have monster systems with tons of fans and room inside. Although my current system is an altered Compaq Presario S6030NX minitower that I added fans in to keep cool and while I can use a full height/length video card, everything is pretty cozy inside with wires/cables every which direction and a 90GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive resting on the bottom of the case hanging off the SATA power connector cable etc.

The quadcore CPU your system has is a power hungry CPU to begin with, and that paired up with 250watt supply I dont believe would allow for many video cards to work with this system. If you install a video card to a system like this and you dont have enough watts, you generally get a computer that will not boot. This can be pressing power button and system failing to come up, or system turns on and a black screen and no BIOS POST, or everything looks good, you then go to launch the game and then the system crashes when the game causes the video card to demand more watts and it starves the other system components of watts. This can overheat and damage the PSU by pushing it too hard!

*What games are you intending to play on this computer?

Insanemuch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 11:38:39 PM »
        This sounds awesome, but won't the motherboard be all loose, and move around cause it will be a huge case with a tiny motherboard? I don't know because I've never actually seen the inside of a computer before. And I'm comparing my specs to Guild Wars 2 on a website called game debate, which tells me how well my system will run the game. I don't exactly intend to play guild wars, but that's the most intense game I know and will play

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »
        Motherboards are attached by mounting screws on stand-offs, so if installed correctly there is no play. As far as small board in a huge case, my one server has a Zotac MiniITX installed in a case designed to install a large ATX motherboard. Lots of empty space inside, but couldnt beat the price of a FREE 1990's era full height tower case which is made of the thicker steel like a tank. Some cheap cases dent and the metal bends easily, but the 1990's era beige plain looking case is strong.

If you have any friends who have installed motherboards into cases, you may want to have them assist you. Its a very easy process for someone who has done this before to swap guts, but there are many ways it can also go wrong.

I have seen all sorts of problems brought to me of people who installed components wrong, most of which were people forcing something when if you are having to force anything its time to stop and figure out why something is not going in, such as a person who split their AGP port once forcing a non compatible AGP slot type video card into a motherboard, as well as the one person who tried to force a CPU into a socket and the extra pin was there for a reason. They tried to stuff an AM2 CPU into an AM3 socket.

If you are careful and keep track as to what plugs go where etc, and make sure the power supply is not plugged into the outlet during the process, and write down or find the pin layout for HD LED, PWR LED, RESET, PWR SW, etc and move it over exactly to the way it was in the old case and verified you dont have any extra screws rattling around inside the case after etc, it should be a successful swap.

If you hit any questions feel free to post them here for assistance, as well as sometimes pictures are better than words if you run into questions and are not sure what to do next etc, so we can see where you left off etc, or what you may be missing etc.

Insanemuch

Topic Starter

Rookie

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »
          Motherboard with some digging on google shows as a Packard Bell MCP73PV this motherboard on ebay looks like it may be the same board used for Acer and Gateway, the MCP73PV as shown here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-DX4640-DX4720-GT6578-GT5685E-Desktop-Motherboard-MCP73PV-6943-/280868876134

If this motherboard at this ebay link is an exact match visually to that of your current motherboard then it will fit that case you linked perfectly.

With Micro ATX cases sometimes you run into problems trying to get hard drive / motherboards installed because they are a tight fit. If the case has knock outs at the front of the HDD bay then its best to remove the metal knock-out and insert the hard drive that way. However if it doesnt have a metal knock-out to allow for the hard drive to be inserted from the front of the computer, you will probably have to either install the motherboard first, then maybe remove the RAM sticks if they are tall and conflict with installation of the hard drive, then once hard drive is installed and screwed in, add the RAM sticks back into the motherboard.

*I ran into an issue with a Rosewill Micro ATX case where I ended up having to bend the metal right angle wings of where 2 hard drives could be installed so that I could install the hard drive from a 45 degree angle into the bay, and then just line up the hard drive with the 2 holes to secure the  hard drive in the bay. This case was lacking a metal knock-out at the front of the case and I was running into issues trying to get the hard drive installed because even with the RAM removed, the massive CPU heatsink was in the way. The good thing is that this was a cheap case that was made of thin tin and so the wings that needed to be bent out of the way bent very easily. And I couldnt install the motherboard after the hard drive because the hard drive stuck out 3/4 of an inch conflicting with installation of the motherboard.

The big issue was that the engineers who designed this case didnt think out, what if a motherboard with a large heatsink is installed and conflicts with installation of a hard drive. *All cases that have hard drive bays that can potentially give installation issues like this should have a metal knock-out designed into them, so that the drives can be installed from the front of the case with the plastic faceplate off!  BUT this is what i get for cutting corners in cost for computer case too maybe on that $14.99 Rosewill case that was normally $24.99 at www.newegg.com  ;D

Unless I take a dremel to this case with the boards out of it and cut out my own knock out, this HDD bay that supports 2x  3.5" hard drives will never be able to have 2 drives installed with the current motherboard and massive heatsink. .... I have since added a $5 IDE/PATA removable  HDD bay just below the DVD-RW drive, that I got 3 of them on clearance, so I dont have to play Computer Hardware Contortionist with the hard drive ever again. Way easier than gutting case of boards, dremel to tin, blowing out metal frags that would kill the system, and reinstallation of guts.

Given the price tag on this case, I am thinking you may not run into same issues I had with my cheap Rosewill Micro ATX case.

Insanemuch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 02:39:44 AM »
            Thanks. So that case that I picked out, is that again a small case? If so I think I'm going to look for another one.

DaveLembke

Sage
            « Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 01:26:09 PM »
            http://www.newegg.com/Computer-Cases/Category/ID-9

As linked above, cases for home computers come in 4 sizes:

Mini ITX (*Requires ITX motherboard)
            Micro ATX (small tower)
            ATX Mid-tower
            ATX Full-Tower

The Micro ATX would work, but it may be tight fit components. If you are planning on going crazy with long PCB high end video card ( such as this length video card linked here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150590 ), your best bet is a Mid or Full Tower to not run into problems getting stuff to fit as well as adequate airflow.

Insanemuch

Topic Starter

Rookie

DaveLembke

Sage
              « Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 06:45:02 PM »
              Should be plenty.

The Evo Labs E913 ATX Tower case comes with a black mesh finish and 500w power supply unit pre-fitted.
              Key Features Form Factor Midi Tower Motherboard Support ATX, Micro ATX PSU Support Standard ATX Water Cooling Ready No Dimensions 183mm x 410mm x 425mm (W x H x D) Packaging Dimensions 230mm x 458mm x 485mm (W x H x D) Body Material 0.5mm SECC Metal Front Bezel Material Plastic & Mesh Side Panel Vented Expansion Bays External Bays: 3 x 5.25 External, 2 x 3.5 External Internal Bays: 6 x 3.5 Internal Drive Bay Notes: Expansion Slots: 7 x Full Size Case Cooling Cooling Front: Space for 1 x 12cm Fan (Not Included) Cooling Top: None Cooling Rear: 1 x 8cm Fan Cooling Side: Space for 1 x 8cm Fan and 1 x 12cm Fan (Not Included) Cooling Bottom: None IO Ports 2 x USB 2.0 1 x HD Audio (also supports AC'97) 1 x Microphone Front Bezel Colour Black Body Colour Black PSU Included Yes (500w) Net Weight (KGs) 4.6 KGs

Taken from the description, the Fan (Not Included) in many locations means that you might find youself adding 1 or 2 later on if the temp inside the case gets too warm. The good thing is that they are inexpensive and easy to add.

Insanemuch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »
                Thanks, Dave, you're amazing as I've said numerous times, and I'm sosososososososoo sorry for the fuss, but now my dad is sayi he wants to buy all of the parts from a shop where they will also fit it for us for free, instead of buying them online and paying some dude to do it for us, or doing it ourselves and risking messing everything up. So I'm looking at this case, cheap, nice, got those things on the bottom for extra ventilation, but I can't see anything about power supplies. (http://www.gigantedirect.com/cooler-master-k280.html) can you?

I'm also looking at this graphics card (http://www.gigantedirect.com/components-75/graphics-cards/gigabyte-radeon-hd-6570-2gb.html) and I'm pretty sure it fits, but again, can you check please? Sorry I just want to make sure it's all perfect to prevent everything getting here and it doesn't fit or work for some reason >.<

DaveLembke

Sage
                « Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 03:21:29 PM »
                Video Card looks perfect with new case for clearance.

This case linked does not come with a power supply. Under specifications it states
                Power supply included = No

So if getting this case, you would need to buy a power supply to install into it. Cases are available both with and without power supplies. Generally the cases are less expensive without power supplies, as well as some people dont want the power supply that is paired up with a tower which may be a unknown brand of unknown quality.

I personally like to use name brand power supplies that I can trust, although for lesser important applications I have used no name power supplies. As far as quality of no name ( unknown brand ) power supplies, they are hit and miss as far as performance and quality, however they are usually lacking in both. I have seen some off brands last 10 years, while others die in less than a year.

Insanemuch

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 03:25:14 PM »
                  Okay, I will ring the shop tomorrow and find out if they sell any psus. How much do they cost in general for a decent 500w, do you know?